Eagles Weak 14: Just Make It Stop

EaglesPeteC

1 minute ago, Mastercheddaar said:

3 wins and we are like a game and a half out of 1st place? 

What are you complaining about? We are right in the thick of the Playoff Hunt! 

th?id=OIP.uqjzJqH6sfR6xuaTgBrJ3AHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=302&h=171

Go Birds

MC

Nope, I want no part of it. Give me that top 5 pick over any other result to the end of this season

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Don't tell me you're not. He's 10 years past his expiration date according to you.

I don’t like that Eagles fans have been bashing Peters and yes it has been happening a lot on social media. Just this morning when I went on the periscope for  Doug’s press conference there were people bad mouthing him after he told the press that he will be out for the year. It’s not his fault our front office waited too long to address the other tackle spot or that Dillard went down in preseason this year. I love the Eagles, but our fans need to calm down. Same as them burying Reagor when he wasn’t even playing after the hand injury cause they were mad that Jefferson was producing at a high clip during that time.

Peters is an Eagles legend. He didn’t play in that Super Bowl, but he’s one of the best players to ever suit up for us. He is old now and his body has been breaking down for years. I don’t have a real problem with Roseman not paying Vaitsi to be his replacement, because I didn’t think he was as good as what he went for in free agency. But, we should’ve been preparing better to replace him than just drafting Dillard last year. That was a very late attempt at trying to do just that. 

Our best attempt before Dillard and developing Vaitai was taking a flyer on a rugby player who never played football before and that was always gonna take probably at least to see the fruits of our labor like we are now starting to see.

The blame shouldn’t fall at Peters old feet, but those of Roseman who let him get to that point where he was breaking down and not the same athlete/player anymore.

I am happy that Mailata doesn’t have to worry about being replaced and can continue his progression and learning experience at LT though. It was a shame that he wasn’t getting more reps with the 1s even back in preseason after Dillard went down. Pryor initially was the one getting them before he looked awful and we gave Peters more money to move over to his normal spot. For one the Eagles should’ve known based on past years that Peters was a penalty machine for false starts and that was due to him trying to compensate for less athleticism in his older age to get a jump on the edge rushers. They should’ve known his body wouldn’t last especially playing a more physically demanding OL spot than the interior. He should’ve just been brought on as a mentor and back-up and maybe potential starter on the interior. Eagles also should’ve known that Pryor doesn’t have the athleticism to deal with faster edge rushers running the arc. Mailata was always the best option and the only way he was gonna truly grow was to get reps and experience. 

Instead when we finally put him in there when Peters was hurt and he showed good things against talented edge rushers in the AFC North. Then, we pull him when Peters comes back from injury. This falls at the feet of our coaching staff. Like how dense can you be?

What I just described in this post and the one before is why I’m perfectly fine if Lurie decides he wants to move on from Roseman and Pederson. I appreciate what they helped us accomplish in the 2017-2018 season getting our first Super Bowl, but that shouldn’t give them a pass for all our failings in recent years. Their seats deserve to be getting warmer and warmer as we get closer to the end of this disaster of a season.

Also, I’d like to remind you all that a lot of you were very dismissive of Mailata and didn’t even have him making your 53 man rosters which I thought was crazy. The guy had only had a handful of preseason games over his first two seasons with us and didn’t have much practice time or any preseason games this year. He also switched from the left to right side quite a bit too which isn’t easy on a guy who really should’ve just been kept mainly learning left tackle to take over eventually for an aging Peters. Left tackle has to be one of the most technical and toughest positions to get down, especially someone who came to us with no experience and didn’t even know how to put on a chin strap for gods sake. It was always gonna take a few seasons to get him where he needed to be even with the athleticism he has that can cover for some of his inexperience. People don’t like being patient though. You would’ve thought the Alejandro Villanueva experience would’ve taught us something, but I guess not.

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'll love Peters again when he retires.

Yeah I get what you’re saying, but I never stopped. I may be frustrated that he’s out there, but that’s not his fault. 

Also, going back to Peters and why we should appreciate him more for a second. He has always been willing to stay after practice with tackles lower on the depth chart after practices like Vaitai, Mailata, Dillard, etc. He was a great teammate. He has always stood up for his teammates.

This is one of my favorite moments and always gonna be how I’ll remember him ultimately. He lived up to his nickname as the body guard and we were lucky to have him as a dominant left tackle for so long.

Another Washington Philly game that showed the kind of respect Peters has garnered over his tenure with the Eagles. Nobody should and probably will wear 71 in midnight green again.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Bringing Peters back was fine. Back to start and for his salary was the problem. When you bring the guy back to start at a hefty salary he’s doomed to fail at 38 or whatever he is. If Peters was brought back by the FO to play swing tackle or backup interior line, then it’s a fine move. He’s a good teammate, clearly could coach up young guys and is a beloved franchise player. This was a FO blunder. Peters is toast but I’m not mad at the guy. 

23 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I don’t like that Eagles fans have been bashing Peters and yes it has been happening a lot on social media. Just this morning when I went on the periscope for  Doug’s press conference there were people bad mouthing him after he told the press that he will be out for the year. It’s not his fault our front office waited too long to address the other tackle spot or that Dillard went down in preseason this year. I love the Eagles, but our fans need to calm down. Same as them burying Reagor when he wasn’t even playing after the hand injury cause they were mad that Jefferson was producing at a high clip during that time.

Peters is an Eagles legend. He didn’t play in that Super Bowl, but he’s one of the best players to ever suit up for us. He is old now and his body has been breaking down for years. I don’t have a real problem with Roseman not paying Vaitsi to be his replacement, because I didn’t think he was as good as what he went for in free agency. But, we should’ve been preparing better to replace him than just drafting Dillard last year. That was a very late attempt at trying to do just that. 

Our best attempt before Dillard and developing Vaitai was taking a flyer on a rugby player who never played football before and that was always gonna take probably at least to see the fruits of our labor like we are now starting to see.

The blame shouldn’t fall at Peters old feet, but those of Roseman who let him get to that point where he was breaking down and not the same athlete/player anymore.

Well said but its what these self entitled living in the now Eagle fans do.  Unfortunately its to be expected. Its what they do!

5 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Bringing Peters back was fine. Back to start and for his salary was the problem. When you bring the guy back to start at a hefty salary he’s doomed to fail at 38 or whatever he is. If Peters was brought back by the FO to play swing tackle or backup interior line, then it’s a fine move. He’s a good teammate, clearly could coach up young guys and is a beloved franchise player. This was a FO blunder. Peters is toast but I’m not mad at the guy. 

He wasn't originally brought back at a hefty price, he was the natural fit to take over for Brooks. Knew the Offense,  Cadence, OL calls, Wentz, playbook.  He was the right choice, for RG!

It only became a Cluster 🤬 when Dillard went down as well. What LT in FA was coming to the Eagles on the cheap? Knew any of the things above? Wouldn't of had a massive learning curve first 5 weeks? We can play the Hindsight game all you want but with no on the field practices, everything virtual they had No Clue what Mailata might bring, that Jordan might actually be the answer for LT?

That wasn't known until he too was forced to Start. There is no quick fix when you lose your All Pro RG and Starting LT within weeks of each other in a virtual covid world. Sorry. 

11 different Starting OL combinations in 12 games. It wasn't just the 38 yr old Peters at the center of all of our struggles, trust me.

Most of you have witnessed only 2 HOF Eagles in your Lifetime, think about that for a second (2). Jason Peters will be your 3rd. Old farts like me a Dingo at least 4 with Carmichael now in but those bashing Peters for hanging on, trying to help win a SB while on the field contributing, not a spectator need to take a step back understand why he was trying. 

Its on the FO now to figure out this mess!

Edited by Nabbs4u