Eagles Weak 14: Just Make It Stop

20 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

You can use his legs without making him a running QB. Mainly moving the pocket through rollouts. RPO but passing. teaching him proper scrambling on passes.

Also I am not saying no designed runs or him just qb keeping when he doesnt see anything. But limit it.

They specifically limited Kylers designed runs to make him pass. 

I would agree to that end, definitely limit it. I'm just not sure how hard a coach can realistically be on a player if they're moving the chains. As a coach your priority is winning the game in front of you, developing the QB, engraining good habits, all that comes secondary. To that end, a lot of this falls on the QB to want to be a passer and not a runner I think, as well as your QB coach (who I think realistically you could expect to prioritize a QB's development over winning games).

For example, I saw on twitter a Lamar TD run from last night where he pretty much had his WR on a crossing route running to the vacated right side of the field. CB was trailing him pretty well, but that's a throw you normally attempt and a good QB makes. Lamar clearly sees it, but in his mind he sees that vacated right field as wide open space to run to and that's what he does, and they get the TD. For 23 year old Lamar, just running it was probably the higher probability play there since he's not the most accurate passer in the world... but in 3-4 years, it probably won't be, thus to that end he is hurting his development as passer by not making that throw, but in 2020, he's helping them win. 

15 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I would agree to that end, definitely limit it. I'm just not sure how hard a coach can realistically be on a player if they're moving the chains. As a coach your priority is winning the game in front of you, developing the QB, engraining good habits, all that comes secondary.

Disagree 100 million bajillion %. If you believe in the QB, developing him comes wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before winning. Especially in a lost season.

You think they cared Peyton Manning broke the all time INT record his rookie year?

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Disagree 100 million bajillion %. If you believe in the QB, developing him comes wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before winning. Especially in a lost season.

You think they cared Peyton Manning broke the all time INT record his rookie year?

What was the alternative? Peyton couldn't run. He was doing the best he could to win them games. Not comparable to these situations we've seen with RG3, Kaep or Lamar (TBD), where the teams were competitive or even SB contenders on the backs of their QB's running ability and the offensive style they were powering. I don't think any HC, especially when it's not a QB you are highly invested in (Kaep, Lamar, now Hurts), is going to sacrifice winning for developing. Maybe they will if it's a top draft pick. I mean they definitely should when the team has no SB aspirations, like 2020 Eagles, but I really don't think they do. Different discussion of whether or not they should when it comes to a SB contender. If the 49ers score on one of those 4 goal to go chances in the SB, I don't think anybody is looking back at Kaep flaming out with regret (granted, I still contend his failures lie mostly with him and not how he was developed. Russell Wilson and the Seahawks employed plenty of zone reads in 2012, and look how he turned out.)

You develop your QB mon-sat. You do what it takes to win on Sunday. They can both exist. You’re both are making valid points. However, I don’t think a coach is actively developing a QB on game days. They may come at you Monday on film day and “teach” but as for the actual game it’s really up to the QB to make the right reads or see on the field what the coach is calling. I will admit currently Doug is using Hurts legs as a weapon right now. He’s  giving him the option to run a lot and he’s taking it. And that will end in disaster eventually. But that’s the curve. Use your god given abilities to make up for your inexperience until you figure it out. Young passers with great arms do it too. They make throws that are bad decisions or into less than ideal windows because they have rocket arms. It really comes down to maturity and learning the game. You don’t have to be a great athlete to be a QB but you should be a good decision maker and field general able to dissect defenses presnap. Brady and Brees aren’t good athletes with great arms but they’ve been some of the best because they know football. It eventually comes down to football IQ. And your legs become that extra additive that make you dangerous. Rodgers, Russ, Mahomes of the like have perfected this. That’s your endgame as a QB that can run. The Vicks, RGIIIs, Kaeps and Lamars (currently) can’t counter the counter.