The state of AFC North QB'ing

theJ

1 minute ago, theJ said:

This twitter post got me thinking:

Is Andy Dalton the best QB in the AFC North right now?

It's definitely not Flacco or Kizor.  Does anyone want to make an argument for Ben?

Not after throwing five passes straight to Jags defenders.... and his only two TD passes were for the Jags as well

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

He certainly had the best week.  I'd probably still take Ben as a qb though.  Not as a person.

I would have taken him last year. But all this retirement talk makes me wonder if he's given up mentally. 

6 hours ago, theJ said:

This twitter post got me thinking:

Is Andy Dalton the best QB in the AFC North right now?

It's definitely not Flacco or Kizor.  Does anyone want to make an argument for Ben?

Best QB in the worst QB division in football this year? Sounds like a participation trophy. "We aren't saying your a good QB, just the best of a terrible bunch."

6 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

Best QB in the worst QB division in football this year? Sounds like a participation trophy. "We aren't saying your a good QB, just the best of a terrible bunch."

That's the point I was trying to make. The qbs in this division right now are in a sad state of affairs. 

2 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Also, I think we know where Andy is, he's OK.  Not great, sometimes bad, but usually in the middle. I may take Kiser over him just for upside.  Before he gets Tim Couched at least.

You forgot to mention the times when he is great...most that don't like him do ( I am not saying you don't like him)... I just think you undervalue Andy a lot then. 

Taking Kizer over Dalton at this point even for upside is laughable.. he has shown nothing good except a big arm...

And for the last part... he already has been..it happened in April 

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

You forgot to mention the times when he is great...most that don't like him do ( I am not saying you don't like him)... I just think you undervalue Andy a lot then. 

Taking Kizer over Dalton at this point even for upside is laughable.. he has shown nothing good except a big arm...

And for the last part... he already has been..it happened in April 

I am one who doesn't like Dalton and I do down play his good games. Because after watching him his entire career, a good game doesn't mean he's improved mechanics, his reads, his pocket management or time management. He is just as likely to go out next Sunday and throw 3-4 picks. He is entirely too inconsistent for me and even when he is good, it's usually due to the players around him than his talents. 

IMO he is past the growth time of his career and he isn't getting any better. He is what he is at this point and he isn't good enough to get us to the AFC Championship let alone a SB. If the teams goal isn't to win in the playoffs and ultimately a SB, why invest time or money into the team. 

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Also, I think we know where Andy is, he's OK.  Not great, sometimes bad, but usually in the middle. I may take Kiser over him just for upside.  Before he gets Tim Couched at least.

I'm sure Hue and the Browns would make that trade too.

36 minutes ago, Carson4MVP said:

IMO he is past the growth time of his career and he isn't getting any better. He is what he is at this point and he isn't good enough to get us to the AFC Championship let alone a SB. If the teams goal isn't to win in the playoffs and ultimately a SB, why invest time or money into the team. 

I would agree he's probably past the growth point to some degree.  

With the decline of Roethlisberger, the Pats on the downward slope, and the state of QB'ing in this conference, the time for Andy to make a playoff push is this year or next year.  If it doesn't happen in that time span, it's probably not happening.  But i am not writing him off yet.  He hasn't had a good shot at it since he made significant strides in the 2015 season.  Since it would appear he's going to be around for a while yet, i'll reserve judgement.

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I liked Kizer coming out. In 3 years, he might be the better player.  Probably not, but I like the raw skills.  Anyway, qb play is lacking in this division.

I like Kizer's arm and mobility, but he it too thin to keep taking shots while running.  his accuracy issues have dogged him since he stepped onto campus at ND and don't look to be improving any time soon.

dalton is definitely having the best year of all division QBs, but that doesn't mean as much as it would have two years ago with Big Ben still elite.

Archived