Patriots 2021 Free Agency

JohnCena

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

If the team drafts Mond or Trask with the expectation that they're the eventual starter, then the starting QB in 2021 is going to be Newton, or Fitzpatrick, or Trubisky, or some other washout. 

And if Newton is the worst of the bunch, as you say, then you should want him to be the starter because if the Pats can't draft one of the top 4-5 QBs in this class, then it'll be better for them to be set up for a higher pick in 2022 than try to force the issue with a lesser QB.

Well then I hope you enjoy going 7-9 for the foreseeable future, because unless Belichick gets a whole hell of a lot better at drafting or pulls another day 3 wunderkind out of his arse, that's going to be this team's fate. 

I disagree you want CN he's all yours. I'm out

7 minutes ago, Starless said:

If you're against tanking, then I'd like you to lay out a vision for how this team gets back into contention without positioning itself to draft an elite QB prospect or mortgaging the future for an established QB. 

My last comment on this. Go read my comments that I have posted on QB and the draft. You will get my vision.

1 minute ago, m haynes said:

I disagree you want CN he's all yours. I'm out

I didn't say that. 

I said IF HE'S AS BAD AS YOU SAY then it's better to roll with him than with some other also-ran because if this team drafts a QB, he's almost definitely NOT going to be the starter in 2021.

I wouldn't say he sucks, he had his moments as a Patriot. He certainly isn't worth anywhere near what he got paid in Miami though. Didn't he end up making something like 12-15 Million for 1 season? 

If he wanted to sign for another 2 year, 12 million deal with the Patriots I'd be totally fine with that.. otherwise I'm content pushing for youth at LB

Does he have anything left in the tank? I didn't get a chance to see any Vikings games last season but his stats appear to have dropped off every year last few years. 

How good of a blocker is it? Vikings fans seem to think he is still a good redzone threat ... if BB thinks Asiasi / Keene will take a jump next season he could make sense.. but the price will dictate that. 

I would rather give 9 million/yr to Jonnu than 6 million/yr to Kyle

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Does he have anything left in the tank? I didn't get a chance to see any Vikings games last season but his stats appear to have dropped off every year last few years. 

How good of a blocker is it? Vikings fans seem to think he is still a good redzone threat ... if BB thinks Asiasi / Keene will take a jump next season he could make sense.. but the price will dictate that. 

FWIW Rudolph had his best yards per catch and per target average last year. He and Irv Smith had essentially the same numbers. 

If the Pats sign a veteran TE this year, I expect it'll be as an insurance policy in case Keene/Asiasi/rookie addition don't work out (think Alge Crumpler in 2010 or Fauria in 2002). I don't think they're gonna bring in a guy to be the #1 TE unless they outbid everyone for Hunter Henry (who I expect to be franchised anyway).

Edited by Starless

9 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Rudolph is slow but good in the RZ. I'll always be interested in a RZ target! Gimme.