Patriots 2021 Free Agency

JohnCena

I could see the 2nd round tender meaning a couple of things

• They don't want Jackson long term and want a 2nd rounder instead of waiting for a 3rd comp 
  • They want a team to make him an offer because they know they wouldn't at 1st round tender.. and with nobody having money.. could mean resigning him cheap 
  • Want the 2nd round pick to gain more picks to get a QB
  • Like 2

2 or 3 most likely 2.

I can absolutely see this happening. Somebody makes a 10-12 million per year offer or something like that and Patriots match. If somebody offers a ton, I also could see them using the 2nd round pick to trade up and not be too mad about losing Jackson. But I think they prefer to keep him and this could allow it at lower cost.

Just now, Crimmage said:

I could see the 2nd round tender meaning a couple of things

• They don't want Jackson long term and want a 2nd rounder instead of waiting for a 3rd comp 
  • They want a team to make him an offer because they know they wouldn't at 1st round tender.. and with nobody having money.. could mean resigning him cheap 
  • Want the 2nd round pick to gain more picks to get a QB

48 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

2 or 3 most likely 2.

I can absolutely see this happening. Somebody makes a 10-12 million per year offer or something like that and Patriots match. If somebody offers a ton, I also could see them using the 2nd round pick to trade up and not be too mad about losing Jackson. But I think they prefer to keep him and this could allow it at lower cost.

I don't mind taking the 2nd honestly. Jackson gets a tad bit overrated around here, unless you consider him a ball-hawking #2 CB. Belichick's recent track record with DBs also makes the decision easier.

• Like 1

It would be funny if BB lets a team sign away Jackson for a 2nd then uses that same 2nd to get another ball hawking CB in Asante Samuel Jr.. I know his dad would certainly be happy about it 

I'd honestly be fine with trading Gilmore and Jackson for a 2nd rounder each .. Horn in the 1st and Samuel in the 2nd then boom corner depth is back and you've got cap savings for the next 4 years. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Free Agents You Expect:

10. Cam Newton QB - Sadly but probably another 1 year prove it deal. $5.5M

Got him at $5M

9.  David Andrews/Ted Karras C - Bring one of them back for about $7-8M

Only $4M.

8. Davon Godchaux DT - Should be a reasonably priced system fit.

7. Tyrell Williams WR - Deep Threat 1 year prove it deal. Signed with Detroit

I think Agholor and Bourne might be better than this.

6.  Gerald Everett TE - Probably a cheaper option than Hunter Henry,

Smith and Henry are far better than this.

5. Marcus Williams FS - McCourty Replacement. Franchise Tagged by NO.

Jalen Mills is a cheaper option at least.

4.  Romeo Okwara DE - Patricia connection. Resigned with Detroit.

Matt Judon should be just as good if not better.

3. Sheldon Rankins DT - Need an interior run-stopping presence. 

Henry Anderson instead.

2. J.C Jackson CB - Lock up long term.

2nd Round Tender.

1.  Curtis Samuel WR - Versatile WR to replace Jules.

Still hoping for this.

4/9 so far with hope left for Samuel. Not too bad.

• Like 1

Wow I haven't been on here since the superbowl, but what a great week! We back in this thing! I've loved all the moves, although I wish we could have got Agholor for 10 mil instead of 13, but he's still a great deep threat if Cam can get him the ball. My only regret is we didn't sign Curtis Samuel, I really liked him. 

Also, JC Jackson is great and we need to sign him long term, but man if we have some money left definitely pay Gilmore an extra 3-5 million to keep him around for this year at least, he's the best corner in football imo, and JC's great but Gilly's on a different level, I would hate to see my favorite defensive player leave. 

Been pretty busy this week, barely been able to keep up.

- Jonnu/Henry are a pricey duo...but it’s hard to be upset about it. NE’s done WELL with multiple tight ends, and given how bad they’ve been at acquiring virtually anyone since Gronk/Bennett, they had to pony up. The space is there, so it’s exciting. 

- The WR room will be revamped, if maybe still unspectacular. Absolutely hyped about Kendrick Bourne, he was a target I wanted NE to look into early. Very capable receiver that played in a limited role. Agholor has been a JAG IMO, but had a career year in LV. If he brings that here, it’ll be a big wrinkle for the team. Hopefully Jules isn’t absolutely done (which I fear he will be), Meyers can still get on the field, and Lee/Harry can do something (anything...). 

- Not a fan of Jalen Mills, the player or the contract. As a corner, never played well outside a year or two on a loaded defense. As a safety, looked decent but still seems pricey for such a limited player. Safety depth is nice, I suppose. 

- Judson was way out of left field for me, but I guess it shouldn’t have been. Adding some beef upfront with some experience was a key after putting last year’s front seven out there. Judon, Hightower, and KVN will be nice additions in the front. If Uche can continue being a solid pass rusher and Winovich could see the field, you have to like the LB room. 

- Trent Brown, plus. Karras, plus. Fingers are crossed Andrews still makes his way back, otherwise the interior probably takes a step back and the depth is a bit thinner. But hard to complain compared to most OLs. 

- Other than figuring out the situation with Andrews and JC, I’d be down for bringing in the reported Chris Carson. Guy’s been a very quality back, IMO, if not an absolute game breaker. 

- It’s going to be nice going into the draft without any glaring, obvious holes. There are positions you’d love to get younger at & add depth to (CB...), and of course the wild card at QB, but Bill’s even more free than usual to get who he wants. Especially when you consider the unusually high draft position. 

Been fun so far. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this is my opinion on how we've changed as a result of these moves (scores out of 5)

Offensive Line.  - even

So far we've lost Thuney and Cannon, gained Brown and Karras. If Andrews goes, I think it's a slight downturn, but it was at a high base level. This was a top 5 line last season. Thuney is a loss on field, but Brown is an upgrade probably. If we lose Andrews, this is a - 1

Wide Receiver. + 2

Bourne and Agholor at the very least bring speed. Something we struggled with last season. If all they do is open up the new TEs a bit, it's a massive bonus. We've probably spent a bit too much though. I still think it's a bottom half receiving corps, quite easily

Tight End. + 5

I actually don't care how much this cost, we had the worst TE room in the league, in an offense that used to thrive on it, with a QB that needs a good one. I'd have ponied up anything. If all we came away with from this FA is Henry, I'd still be quite pleased. We've got two top 10 TEs now. RZ is back open for business. You can keep your WRs.

Secondary. - Even

Front 7 + 4

Yeahhh boy. Prime beef up front now. Judon is unflashy but can't be moved back. Exactly what you need on an edge. You can already see him holding up a tackle whilst Dugger or Phillips flies by. Similar with Anderson but from interior. KVN is OK, you can get creative with him. Godchaux is similar again and in interior. We have become so much better against the run overnight. It was a very low bar though.....

Looking ahead/draft

Well we obviously need a QB somehow. Offensive line depth, another LB, another CB. 

17 hours ago, Crimmage said:

It would be funny if BB lets a team sign away Jackson for a 2nd then uses that same 2nd to get another ball hawking CB in Asante Samuel Jr.. I know his dad would certainly be happy about it 

I'd honestly be fine with trading Gilmore and Jackson for a 2nd rounder each .. Horn in the 1st and Samuel in the 2nd then boom corner depth is back and you've got cap savings for the next 4 years. 

Exactly what I'm thinking too. But I would expect the first to be used on a different position, most likely QB. And then of the three second rounders in this scenario at least one would be on a CB. Tyson Campbell/ASJ/Kelvin Jospeh/Elijah Molden - two of those between the second and third rounds.

With all that ammo though, if the Jets pass on Zach Wilson then you can bet that the Pats will make a move up to get him. It stands to reason that with three second rounders, two third rounders, and a first that the Patriots would be aggressive moving into the top 10 for a QB or just packaging it all for a veteran like Mahomes, Wilson, or yuck Jimmy G.

6 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Really surprised Andrews doesn't end up on the Dolphins.. wonder how much money he is going to get. 

If there is no market, why wouldn't the Pats bring him back? 

I heard Curran last night talk about Andrews, so take it with grain of salt. I will put this in my words. BB David will will pay you this much. Sign here. Andrews no I want to check the market. BB Ok fine we will go in another direction so don't let the door hit on the way out. 10 minutes later Pats sign Karras.

Side note Andrews gamble and lost. Fins just signed a center. Andrews crying knocking on BB door please take me back Crickets!!!