Patriots 2021 Free Agency

13 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Are you guys really going to make me warm up to the thought of Mac Jones at 15?

Is it bad I still kinda want Kyle Pitts? 😂

If Mac is really their guy I'm guessing they'll trade up to make sure they get him. Assuming the other top guys are off the board by 8-9 or so, that's a long time to wait.

On 3/22/2021 at 7:34 PM, dhunt2402 said:

If Mac is really their guy I'm guessing they'll trade up to make sure they get him. Assuming the other top guys are off the board by 8-9 or so, that's a long time to wait.

Would have to trade into top 10 to get Pitts, I think. Nearly every mock I've seen doesn't allow him past Cinci 

I'm warming to Mac too....sht!

• Like 1
On 3/22/2021 at 3:34 PM, dhunt2402 said:

I would look at who's on the board at 15. If my rating are similar say for a CB or OL i would draft them over a TE. TE is a ornaments like RB and WR.   Get them later in the draft.

Remember T.J. Hockenson he was considered the 2nd coming as well. Pitt might be great but the unstoppable crap is Kiper speech.

Don't get me wrong he's a hell of a player , but I use my pick on a premuim position.

The premium position in order. QB, LT, SCB, DT/EDGE, OL,CB,S WR TE RB

PFF destroy New England's offseason so far (arguably, a good thing!)

- "The Patriots had all this cap space and instead of buying nice things - they went shopping in target"

- "New England had one of the most head-scratching free agencies in recent memory

- "I don't mind spending money, but I want value for it. If you overpay you put yourself in a position where you're fighting to get to 9 wins. Fighting to be maybe the 2nd or 3rd best team in the division"

- "Did this receiving corps improve?! Nelson Agholor....I'm not even sure he's the 3rd or 4th best receiver on this team. [not even including the TEs], Jakobi Meyers might be better, Damiere Byrd might be better. And you're paying him potentially $26m, Will Fuller got $10m! If you're going to take shots on unknowns, at least take shots on ones that could be great players. We've seen Agholor's ceiling - it's nowhere near a number 1 WR."

- "Jonnu smith is a bit-part player, you're making a huge projection, 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL - it's a rich deal."

- "Judon? The Ravens are going to get the same production from Tyus Bowser. I hate to tell you that, but it's just going to happen...."

- "If your goal is to win a superbowl, this raft of moves gets you NO CLOSER. What they've put together is mediocre. You're hoping Jonnu Smith turns into Travis Kelce, you're hoping Henry has recovered and you're hoping receivers pop out the ground - this is still the worst receiving corps in the NFL" 

- "for 2021, if their win total is 9 or 9.5 I will be betting the under and consider it my strongest play. I think 8 wins"

🤣

PFF kiss of death. 10 wins here we come.

@m haynes @DoleINGout....what do you think of the above?

Edited by Hunter2_1
2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

PFF destroy New England's offseason so far (arguably, a good thing!)

- "The Patriots had all this cap space and instead of buying nice things - they went shopping in target"

- "New England had one of the most head-scratching free agencies in recent memory

- "I don't mind spending money, but I want value for it. If you overpay you put yourself in a position where you're fighting to get to 9 wins. Fighting to be maybe the 2nd or 3rd best team in the division"

- "Did this receiving corps improve?! Nelson Agholor....I'm not even sure he's the 3rd or 4th best receiver on this team. [not even including the TEs], Jakobi Meyers might be better, Damiere Byrd might be better. And you're paying him potentially $26m, Will Fuller got $10m! If you're going to take shots on unknowns, at least take shots on ones that could be great players. We've seen Agholor's ceiling - it's nowhere near a number 1 WR."

- "Jonnu smith is a bit-part player, you're making a huge projection, 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL - it's a rich deal."

- "Judon? The Ravens are going to get the same production from Tyus Bowser. I hate to tell you that, but it's just going to happen...."

- "If your goal is to win a superbowl, this raft of moves gets you NO CLOSER. What they've put together is mediocre. You're hoping Jonnu Smith turns into Travis Kelce, you're hoping Henry has recovered and you're hoping receivers pop out the ground - this is still the worst receiving corps in the NFL" 

- "for 2021, if their win total is 9 or 9.5 I will be betting the under and consider it my strongest play. I think 8 wins"

🤣

PFF kiss of death. 10 wins here we come.

@m haynes @DoleINGout....what do you think of the above?

Confusing. I don't know what PFF means.  I can't tell if your being sarcastic or if your disappointed. I'm getting Sarcastic but I could be wrong and the last thing I want to do is comment and find out I took it the wrong way. I hate typing 😁

I can say one thing I loved the signings the Pats made. That's exactly the way I would do it except for the Hunter signing which was a complete shock!!!  BB playing chess!

4 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Confusing. I don't know what PFF means.  I can't tell if your being sarcastic or if your disappointed. I'm getting Sarcastic but I could be wrong and the last thing I want to do is comment and find out I took it the wrong way. I hate typing 😁

I can say one thing I loved the signings the Pats made. That's exactly the way I would do it except for the Hunter signing which was a complete shock!!!  BB playing chess!

Pro Football Focus...theyre the ones that come up with that rank for players on the broadcast. Like...Stephon Gilmore pff ranked #4 from 134. They're very divisive and it seems half of football fans think they're geniuses and half think they're paid hipster know-nothings. 

Sometimes they do very strange things like rank Jonathan Casillas in the top 5 linebackers for the month. So if they say you'r going to be crap, could turn out that you're going to be dominant :D

The new signings aren't elites, but they're huge upgrades from where we were, especially at TE.  Remains to be seen if we're still the worst receiving corp in the league.  We just need the receivers to be serviceable to make a significant difference.  All hinges on Cam, which I don't have a lot of faith in.  Still calling for .500, and will be quite happy to be wrong.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, IheartMyV8 said:

The new signings aren't elites, but they're huge upgrades from where we were, especially at TE.  Remains to be seen if we're still the worst receiving corp in the league.  We just need the receivers to be serviceable to make a significant difference.  All hinges on Cam, which I don't have a lot of faith in.  Still calling for .500, and will be quite happy to be wrong.

17 games now, so you will 100% be wrong there lol

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Agreed about th Ravens getting essentially the same production from Tyus Bowser. I am a fan of both Judon and Bowser. Judson obviously cost more and comes from a certain pedigree. I am looking forward to seeing Judon and Hightower healthy, in-shape, and attacking the line of scrimmage. Not an overpay as much as an allocation of cap space by the Patriots that couple have been spread out over several free agents versus just the one we got with Judon. I predicted the Pats would sign Judon.

Smith is in elite company as one of the most talented all-around tight ends in the league. I think if anything, worrying about the durability when projecting Smith out over a greater number of snaps is worth any amount of second guessing. I am comfortable with Smith. I predicted the Pats would sign Smith.

Agholor is what the Patriots do with almost every player they bring in: a player who shows improvement year over year. Am I a fan of the Agholor signing? No. I think it is an overpay. Thankful it is a two year deal. The silver lining? Agholor has improved year over year and projects decently into the offense. A few notes: Byrd isn't re-signed yet as far as I know and he may not even be brought back at all due to his small stature prohibiting him from being an effective blocker. Still a good receiver Byrd is though and one I obscurely-but-correctly predicted the Pats would sign in 2020. Thrived with Cam in Carolina as a deep threat depth receiver early in his career before going to Arizona and then the Pats.

This is all false. The Patriots and every other team are closer to winning a Super Bowl than when they started free agency. I'll put my money on Smith "turning into" Kelce given that Smith has less wear on the tires and Kelce faded down the stretch in the Super Bowl from all the miles that have been put on him for the last few years. Kendrick Bourne is a huge addition, Agholor helps, the return of White out of the backfield, a health Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry, as well as a still-improving Jakobi Meyers makes the Patriots a very capable receiving corps. Yes, you have to hope that Henry is healthy, I agree on that. But it is not like he suffered a devastating Achilles or ACL injury for example. This PFF article seems like a hot take for subscriber reading as much as a realistic outlook or rational opinion.

1. Target has nice things.

2. It was a head-scratching free agency. The Patriots have never ever done anything remotely close to this before in terms of amount of money guaranteed. Everyone was scratching their head. This statement is just context that speaks like a criticism.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...