Patriots 2021 Free Agency

JohnCena

19 hours ago, JohnCena said:

Everyone saying let's get under the radar guys... come on we need a receiver we been dodging paying a receiver forever, we need to go out and pay as much as we have to, for a big time receiver like Allen Robinson. With all this money if we don't go out and get the best available receiver ima lose my sh**

It's Godwin for me. He's 3 years younger and is familiar with some of the concepts the Pats run. 

When it comes to big names.. Godwin is the guy. He is young and imo has all the talent to be a #1 receiver in this league. 

Would you give him 5 years 100 Million though? He's only 24 and still getting better so you'd have him during his prime, and this would allow for some spite factor with BB taking away one of Bradys best weapons. 

If you are going to spend money on a receiver, now is the time when you'll more than likely have a QB making peanuts for the next 4-5 years. 

Also we can expect these next couple of weeks to be important for JoeJuan Willaims .. if Myles Bryant takes all of his snaps next week with Gilmore out.. we may be able to call him another 2nd round bust for BB. Dugger has surpassed him on the safety depth chart .. and I think he has barely played corner this season. 

We could see MAJOR changes at corner next season.. wouldn't be surprised to see a couple vets signed this off season. 

• - Would a team sign JC Jackson at the 1st round tender? It's totally possible .. either way it will be interesting to see if he is the next Malcolm Butler and gone after a year
  • - Jonathan Jones is still signed for a couple years so we are good there
  • - Myles Bryant is the next UDFA darling Corner 
  • - Jason McCourty could easily retire 

What else do we have? JoeJuan either needs to show that he will be ready to start next season or he can expect the team to sign/draft someone to replace him 

Edited by Crimmage

Jackson isn't going anywhere. The Pats will put a 1st + 3rd round tender on him, and then negotiate a long-term deal. I have little doubt of that.

Myles Bryant has the inside track to take over as the starting free safety if DMac retires. JMac won't be any big loss. He has consistently been a weak link in the secondary this year. 

I hope that they keep Jackson long term.. I don't think he will be a lockdown guy but he's totally Asante Samuel. I worry that we haven't seen a full year of him as the #1 guy though so I would rather tender him for the year then pay him next season unless he agrees to a team friendly deal to get paid now. I remember seeing a stat that when Gilmore was out for 3 games he gave up something like 200 yards receiving.. and Gilmore has given up 240 all season long.. so he def isn't Gilmore but i'm hoping he can be our future #1 corner on a 4-5 year deal (not many people out there can be Gilmore). 

Myles Bryant becoming the main safety next to Dugger could scream the end of the line for JoeJuan Williams.. unless he turns into the #3 safety .. but it's super concerning that he hasn't seen the field much this season. I thought with Chung / Harmon gone he was going to get A LOT of snaps in the secondary.. but it looks like Adrian Phillips and Terrence Brooks have taken all of the snaps from him. I remember Aquib Talib saying the BB called him before the season to come out of retirement and cover TE's all season.. that also shows that the team doesn't seem to have much confidence in Williams. 

Thankfully i'm not super worried about the safety group given that everyone other than McCourty is under 30.. but corner could get really thin quickly this offseason ( assuming Gilmore is gone) 

The Pats routinely rotate 4 safeties. Dugger is currently serving as a 'moneybacker' LB/SS hybrid, while Adrian Phillips is in a more traditional SS role, with DMac as the primary FS while Brooks and Bryant have shared snaps in a CB/FS role. There's probably a role for Williams moving forward, unless the coaches have totally soured on him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Also we can expect these next couple of weeks to be important for JoeJuan Willaims .. if Myles Bryant takes all of his snaps next week with Gilmore out.. we may be able to call him another 2nd round bust for BB. Dugger has surpassed him on the safety depth chart .. and I think he has barely played corner this season. 

Williams clocked a 4.55-second 40-yard dash eight days after running a disappointing 4.64 at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2019/03/12/nfl-draft-joejuan-williams-kyle-shurmur-vanderbilt-pro-day/3125119002/

He was a bust from the start. You can't run you can't play.  This is my biggest issue with BB. Does he even own a stop watch!!

Isn't 4.5-4.6 range typical TE speeds? 

I figured that's why he was drafted, I mean the guy is 6'4 or 6'5 so he is very tall for a corner... but if he is focusing on TE's 100% of the time I think he would be fine speed wise.. I can only assume that he gets burnt in practice by our no name TE's so BB doesn't trust him in real games. I remember him earlier in the season playing against some TE's and I don't remember him getting destroyed though.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Isn't 4.5-4.6 range typical TE speeds? 

I figured that's why he was drafted, I mean the guy is 6'4 or 6'5 so he is very tall for a corner... but if he is focusing on TE's 100% of the time I think he would be fine speed wise.. I can only assume that he gets burnt in practice by our no name TE's so BB doesn't trust him in real games. I remember him earlier in the season playing against some TE's and I don't remember him getting destroyed though.. 

If I remember correctly the day of the draft they hyped this kid (I think it was Kiper's little brother Todd) on ESPN draft show. They said he had great physical gifts etc. You know the big strong, great body but they mentioned his speed and they said its good enough to cover TE, wave of the future kind of guy,  this is a typical player that BB would take to do a specific job. You know the rest.  Soon as I heard that,  I cringed, not another gamble,  PLEASE.  "The Patriots make a trade", rest is history. Another shot and a beer to save me from breaking my TV.

Edited by m haynes

16 hours ago, Starless said:

Not necessarily. They have Shaq Barrett, Lavonte David and a few other impending free agents that could make it difficult. 

They're not likely going to sign Shaq Barret and they have about 40 mil in cap space so they're more than likely going to be resigning Godwin and Lavonte. But I really don't see them letting go of Godwin.

I feel Brady would pay Godwin himself if that was the only way to keep him out of Bill's hands. Now, we wont be interested in one of the veterans QBs that'll be shopped around in the off season? Even with the 17th game the cap will reduce significantly and teams will have to sell talent bellow market value, we got to strike gold on big one and I'm sure bill will get the 5-8mill / year type of talent

Also, during the last week game thread I was talking to a Lion's about getting Stafford and he doubted that  Bill would be willing to give up a 1st rounder for Matt. How do you guys view that? I'd give up a 1st in a heartbeat. NFL is all about the QB nowadays there's no ifs and buts either you have a high level QB or you wont contend, period.

One last question: would you guys touch Michael Thomas' contract?