Kick Returner

RSkinGM

One thing I think is funny is that I actually believe they’ve drafted too well, at least when it comes to the KR spot. 

Terry McLaurin would have been a natural for the KR job with his speed and toughness and ST background at OSU. But it took them about 3 weeks of practice to realize that they could never ever risk him on special teams, even though it was a calling card for him in college. No kick returns for the star receiver. 

Likewise, Antonio Gibson also would have been an obvious choice for the KR job, for the same basic reasons. His explosiveness is not dissimilar to Cordarelle Patterson, and he would have been a legit threat to bring a kick or two back. Absolutely off the table, though, when they saw how ready he was to be an impact player from scrimmage. 

Not sure either of those guys would be as prototypically perfect for PR — Sims is actually sort of exactly what you’re looking for in that role with his quick stop/start and COD ability — but they probably could have handled it. I keep hoping that they’ll find a guy in the 2nd round who can handle the slot receiver/kick returner jobs that we hoped Sims would lock down this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

One thing I think is funny is that I actually believe they’ve drafted too well, at least when it comes to the KR spot. 

Terry McLaurin would have been a natural for the KR job with his speed and toughness and ST background at OSU. But it took them about 3 weeks of practice to realize that they could never ever risk him on special teams, even though it was a calling card for him in college. No kick returns for the star receiver. 

Likewise, Antonio Gibson also would have been an obvious choice for the KR job, for the same basic reasons. His explosiveness is not dissimilar to Cordarelle Patterson, and he would have been a legit threat to bring a kick or two back. Absolutely off the table, though, when they saw how ready he was to be an impact player from scrimmage. 

Not sure either of those guys would be as prototypically perfect for PR — Sims is actually sort of exactly what you’re looking for in that role with his quick stop/start and COD ability — but they probably could have handled it. I keep hoping that they’ll find a guy in the 2nd round who can handle the slot receiver/kick returner jobs that we hoped Sims would lock down this year.

Kadarius Toney from Florida would be a great draft pick to fill the slot WR/kick returner jobs.

Edited by turtle28