Week 13 GDT: Cowboys @ Ravens: "Lamar Comin'!"

AFlaccoSeagulls

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

OT but what the F happened to Jaylon Smith, LVE and grandpa Sean Lee? looked like an all world duo with a decent backup in Lee a year ago.

I think injuries, mostly. Not sure about Jaylon Smith though but LVE looks totally different since injuries have taken him right down the Sean Lee path.

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think injuries, mostly. Not sure about Jaylon Smith though but LVE looks totally different since injuries have taken him right down the Sean Lee path.

That's as 'name' a LB core as you'll get in the NFL. Paul Posluszny, Myles Jack, & Telvin Smith a couple years ago. Lavonte David and Devin White for TB are also names that jump off the paper. 

Odd that it's such a weak spot for them now. LVE was a monster Rookie so it does look like injuries have reaped some of his talent early on his career. Sucks to see Jaylon struggling too, but that's a guy who didn't know if he'd ever play again. Even if his career does end up flaming out, I'm sure in the end he'll just be happy he got to play after dealing with those nerve issues. 

6 hours ago, berlin calling said:

OT but what the F happened to Jaylon Smith, LVE and grandpa Sean Lee? looked like an all world duo with a decent backup in Lee a year ago.

Exotic 34 defensive scheme switch from their traditional 43 defense. Guys just haven’t had enough time to understand the system before having so much thrown on them... at least that’s my assumption.

Even Ray Lewis admitted that he had to get used to the 34 back in 2002? He had a full offseason.

I think it’s a combination of going from a simple scheme to a complex scheme, changing formations and responsibilities, and bad coaching that didn’t consider simplifying his defense in a shortened offseason to account for guys not having as much time to practice.

Nolan wasn’t agile in his thinking and his defense and players have suffered for it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Exotic 34 defensive scheme switch from their traditional 43 defense. Guys just haven’t had enough time to understand the system before having so much thrown on them... at least that’s my assumption.

Even Ray Lewis admitted that he had to get used to the 34 back in 2002? He had a full offseason.

I think it’s a combination of going from a simple scheme to a complex scheme, changing formations and responsibilities, and bad coaching that didn’t consider simplifying his defense in a shortened offseason to account for guys not having as much time to practice.

Nolan wasn’t agile in his thinking and his defense and players have suffered for it.

Wait, they're a 3-4 defense now?!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Wait, they're a 3-4 defense now?!

Yup. They switched when they brought in McCarthey and Nolan.

Remember that Nolan used to run our 34 defense years ago as our DC, sometime after M.Lewis (43). Nolan was a 34 defense guy for years and it was foolish to ask him to change to a 43.

So one might say it was foolish for McCarthey to hire him in the first place considering Nolan’s experience.