Week 14 - Rams vs Patriots - TNF

RamRod

10 minutes ago, Starless said:

How often do the Rams blitz?

Staley is different from Fangio in that he blitzes a solid amount. But they aren't heavy blitzes. They're more strategic in nature. Usually only brings one extra guy. Generally uses other players around the LOS to hold blockers like Belichick does to get 1 on 1 matchups and sneak blitzers through. 

Edited by jrry32

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Staley is different from Fangio in that he blitzes a solid amount. But they aren't heavy blitzes. They're more strategic in nature. Usually only brings one extra guy. Generally uses other players around the LOS to hold blockers like Belichick does to get 1 on 1 matchups and sneak blitzers through. 

Have to think he'll dial up heavier blitzes tomorrow. Cam has struggled a lot against DB blitzes in particular, because our WRs struggle to get open, and the OL has been the one consistent strength of this team all year, so it's tough to bring pressure with just 4 rushers. 

1 minute ago, Starless said:

Have to think he'll dial up heavier blitzes tomorrow. Cam has struggled a lot against DB blitzes in particular, because our WRs struggle to get open, and the OL has been the one consistent strength of this team all year, so it's tough to bring pressure with just 4 rushers. 

Just looked, we've brought the 10th fewest blitzes in the NFL (by percentage going into the Arizona game). It seems like we typically bring an extra rusher on 3rd and 7+. Otherwise, we're not blitzing often. Although, he did throw some run blitzes at Arizona. With y'all not having a #1 WR, odds are that Ramsey plays Star and does some blitzing. As for pressure, Staley tends to manufacture it by using games upfront and disguising his coverages and blitzes. He does a bit of what Bill did to us in 2018. He'll put a lot of guys around the LOS and drop them out. But because they're playing so close to the LOS, the OL across from them can't immediately double. Of course, he also tends to adapt his defense for each game, so I don't know what he'll bring out this week. Y'all have a pretty distinct offense.

4 hours ago, Starless said:

Houston's constant run blitzing killed us. The one team that has bottled our run game up, AND it was in the middle of a pretty hot streak. Weird for the last ranked run D to have done that out of all of them so far

I am worried about stopping that run game, and I’m not talking about the Pats RBs. If we can force Newton to throw all night against this secondary then this’ll get ugly really quick. 

that and Goff can’t turn the ball over and STs can’t suck again ( but they probably will suck )

New England should be emphasizing special teams this week. If Gay can’t play then the only bright spot is Hekker. Luckily he’s not one to allow many returns but if we can’t find a kicker to kick it out of the end zone then we might be in trouble in that phase. Truthfully, that’s all I’m worried about. A blowout would be sooo satisfying but I doubt that’ll happen. Their coaching is just too good. 

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I have to ask, how is a shoulder impacting a Kicker.....

My thought as well but who knows lol I can only guess that maybe the inability to use his regular arm swing motion could affect his accuracy? I’ve played soccer and the arms are important within the whole kicking motion, especially on free kicks and stuff when you have to get full power. That’s all I can if though lol 

I’m going to guess he plays if they didn’t bring up a kicker yet. Just read somewhere he could miss the game so I mentioned it 

Edited by MDY10
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

My thought as well but who knows lol I can only guess that maybe the inability to use his regular arm swing motion could affect his accuracy? I’ve played soccer and the arms are important within the whole kicking motion, especially on free kicks and stuff when you have to get full power. That’s all I can if though lol 

Yea, it was mostly tongue-in-cheek, its just funny hearing a Kicker being limited on an upper body injury

• Like 1