Jump to content

Week 14 - Rams vs Patriots - TNF


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The checkdown wasn't a good throw, but Brown dropped it. Woods definitely dropped that longer throw. It was a fine pass. I don't think I'd say he was rattled. Rattled Goff makes poor decisions. He looked fully in command of what he was doing. He just wasn't his sharpest.

Maybe rattled isn't the right word. He just seemed to go through his progressions too quickly to avoid negative plays and then was rushing throws. Which I'd rather have a few incompletions then the devastating play that we've seen against great defenses. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LeotheLion said:

Maybe rattled isn't the right word. He just seemed to go through his progressions too quickly to avoid negative plays and then was rushing throws. Which I'd rather have a few incompletions then the devastating play that we've seen against great defenses. 

Well, that might be true. I think he doesn't want to hold the ball against Belichick's defense. Regardless, he did his job.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What an enjoyable game to watch. Could tell right from the beginning that this was our game for the taking. Felt even better that it was against the Pats. 

Cam Akers looked incredible tonight. I mean the numbers obviously don’t lie but seriously he was great. That starting gig has to be his going forward—I don’t think he gave McVay any other choice. It wasn’t just one huge run that skewed his numbers either tonight—he was constantly ripping off long runs. Someone else said the name Leveon Bell and I was thinking the same thing. His patience and vision reminded me very much of a vintage Bell. While Akers might not have the power that Bell had, I think he’s a little shiftier. 

Goff didn’t look great tonight but he didn’t look as bad as his stats may indicate. The INT, while a bad throw, should not have been a pick. Freak play. However, Goff had way too many throws off target. His throws to Woods in particular always seemed to be by his feet. It was pretty frustrating. That said, he did have a few really nice throws that were on the perfect spot and he was also victim to a few uncharacteristic drops  

What else can be said about this defense? They’ve been nothing short of amazing this year and while I expected them to swallow up NE’s offense, it’s still just so impressive to see just how they do it. 

And I know it’s already been said the last couple games, but it’s so refreshing having Matt Gay at kicker. Even last week when he had the one miss, it wasn’t an ugly miss like we had been used to all season. He’s gonna have his misses but I feel so much more comfortable with him there and his leg talent is clear to see. Maybe it’s just because of how low my standards have dropped this year, but even still. Hoping he’s a guy who can potentially stick around for years to come. 

All in all, great game and it’s hard to find much to complain about tonight. Loved seeing us beat up on the Patriots, who I hate more than any team in all of sports. Go Rams

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice win for the Rams. Goff just does what he needs to do to help win the game. I thought McVay learned his lesson and run the ball. Back to back games that Akers got over 20 carries. That could go a very long ways for the Rams moving forward to try to make a deep run in the playoffs. The defense is Superbowl ready. No team want to see this defense in the playoffs. The scary thing is now the Rams are starting to get defensive tds. That helps the offense out tremendously when they dont even have to be on the field to see a td scored. Then I think about that one drive I think ended in Kupp td, the Rams had the ball for over 8 minutes. So when you have a great defense and your offense has the ability to keep the ball for a very long time to shorten the game like the Rams are definitely in the conversation in the NFC to at least go to the NFCCG. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So is any conversation about which LA football team being THE LA team over? Lol haven’t heard it in a while but it’s just crazy that the pats beat them by 45 and then we beat  the pats by 21. Apparently only the second time that it’s ever happened.  
 

I think it’s fair to say (a compromise almost) that as long as Goff doesn’t have those BAD games.. that there’s a pretty solid chance we win any game. We don’t need a HOF QB.. we need a guy that has an average game. A turnover here and there even is fine. But these games with 3-4 need to be eliminated. Seems like those are the only type of games that are stopping us. There’s no doubt he talented and can look elite at times. Am I wrong or is that basically what’s going on? 
 

really pumped though. I feel like I catch myself thinking “this game looked much closer than it seemed” really often with this team and they’re usually not very close games to begin with. Regardless of what’s going on.. I’m glad we’re actually doing something and can be excited. We’ve come a long way in this era 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MDY10 said:

So is any conversation about which LA football team being THE LA team over? Lol haven’t heard it in a while but it’s just crazy that the pats beat them by 45 and then we beat  the pats by 21. Apparently only the second time that it’s ever happened.  
 

I think it’s fair to say (a compromise almost) that as long as Goff doesn’t have those BAD games.. that there’s a pretty solid chance we win any game. We don’t need a HOF QB.. we need a guy that has an average game. A turnover here and there even is fine. But these games with 3-4 need to be eliminated. Seems like those are the only type of games that are stopping us. There’s no doubt he talented and can look elite at times. Am I wrong or is that basically what’s going on? 
 

really pumped though. I feel like I catch myself thinking “this game looked much closer than it seemed” really often with this team and they’re usually not very close games to begin with. Regardless of what’s going on.. I’m glad we’re actually doing something and can be excited. We’ve come a long way in this era 😂

I don't think the Chargers are fighting that battle at this point, eh @The LBC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Chill, bro. We were up 21 against a team that can't throw the ball. No reason to risk anything. We didn't take our foot off the pedal against Arizona when we needed to keep scoring. There's a time and place for everything.

This is not just about tonight. This has happened all season long. He is gun shy and is going to lean on the defense (and unfortunately the punt cover team) too much against an actual good team like GB or NO and it’s really going to bite us. 

We can’t just start doing something (4 min offense/putting a game out of reach) in the playoffs that we haven’t been able to do all season long. It’s an obvious flaw in an otherwise legitimate Super Bowl contender

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StLunatic88 said:

This is not just about tonight. This has happened all season long. He is gun shy and is going to lean on the defense (and unfortunately the punt cover team) too much against an actual good team like GB or NO and it’s really going to bite us. 

We can’t just start doing something (4 min offense/putting a game out of reach) in the playoffs that we haven’t been able to do all season long. It’s an obvious flaw in an otherwise legitimate Super Bowl contender

Something tells me that if GB or NO is nipping at our heels, we won't choose to concede possessions. McVay has my trust. He knows when to bring it. Also, I love that he's now using QB sneaks on the vast majority of 3rd/4th and inches. I feel like coaches outsmart themselves when they don't take that easy play. Has Goff been stopped once on a sneak this year?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Something tells me that if GB or NO is nipping at our heels, we won't choose to concede possessions. McVay has my trust. He knows when to bring it. Also, I love that he's now using QB sneaks on the vast majority of 3rd/4th and inches. I feel like coaches outsmart themselves when they don't take that easy play. Has Goff been stopped once on a sneak this year?

Honestly I’ve always been worried about McVays killer instinct, and last year has really neutered him in the 4th quarters of games. You may have blind faith, but these are the times to instill that mentality in your team so when you’re up 4 points in the divisional round with 7 min left, you know how to drive 70 yards and kill 5 min, while scoring a TD, not settling for a FG. That’s how you make sure Aaron Rodgers can’t beat you with a Hail Mary drive, not just expecting your Defense to bail you out. 

I will agree that I loved seeing the QB sneaks. That’s always the way to go. And that we did the correct sneaks in each situation. (Dive over the top at the goal line/low plow in the middle of the field)

I was very disappointed in both Reynolds and Everett tonight. Both had big plays that were just dropped. At least JR blocked, Everett got bullied by DBs tonight

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Honestly I’ve always been worried about McVays killer instinct, and last year has really neutered him in the 4th quarters of games. You may have blind faith, but these are the times to instill that mentality in your team so when you’re up 4 points in the divisional round with 7 min left, you know how to drive 70 yards and kill 5 min, while scoring a TD, not settling for a FG. That’s how you make sure Aaron Rodgers can’t beat you with a Hail Mary drive, not just expecting your Defense to bail you out. 

I will agree that I loved seeing the QB sneaks. That’s always the way to go. And that we did the correct sneaks in each situation. (Dive over the top at the goal line/low plow in the middle of the field)

I was very disappointed in both Reynolds and Everett tonight. Both had big plays that were just dropped. At least JR blocked, Everett got bullied by DBs tonight

Everett's inconsistency showed up again. Flagged for stupid penalties. Whiffed on some blocks. But absolutely crushed defenders at other times. I feel like Van is better than Reynolds. As for McVay, he's never lost a game when he has led at half. He has my trust.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...