Texans Search Committee

ET80

So, figured I could share the group Cal has brought on to provide feedback to the HC search...

RC Buford - CEO, San Antonio Spurs

Tony Dungy - HoF Head Coach, Tampa Bay Buccaneers/Indianapolis Colts

Jimmy Johnson - HoF Head Coach, Dallas Cowboys/Miami Dolphins

Rod Graves - Executive Director, Fritz Pollard Alliance/Former NFL Executive

Andre Johnson - Former Texans WR/Ring of Honor inductee

Thoughts? I like the inclusion of Buford, a high level executive for a successful franchise. Andre was a foregone conclusion, but I would like to have seen someone like Peyton Manning, Steve Young or Kurt Warner in on the decision - high level players who won at a high level. Maybe Dungy fits that role? 

All in all, I'm very glad Cal is bringing in smart people to provide insight. Assuming he listens to them, they'll provide data that most won't consider.

• Like 1

As a Spurs fan, I love seeing Buford on the list. Texas basketball beefs side, including the former GM/now CEO of one of the most successful sports franchises ever is a smart move. It truly seems like Cal said "who are the most successful people I can surround myself with to protect me from myself" which I'm in favor of. He doesn't need someone like Easterby to be "yes" men, he needs successful people to tell him what he needs to hear. 

46 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

As a Spurs fan, I love seeing Buford on the list. Texas basketball beefs side, including the former GM/now CEO of one of the most successful sports franchises ever is a smart move. It truly seems like Cal said "who are the most successful people I can surround myself with to protect me from myself" which I'm in favor of. He doesn't need someone like Easterby to be "yes" men, he needs successful people to tell him what he needs to hear. 

I think Cal gets an unfair rap. Yes he promoted OB, but honestly I think he knew it was sink or swim. 

He cut bait the moment he realized it was a mistake. 

He has said Easterby will not be GM, RAC will not be HC. 

He has formed an ELITE search committee to help ensure the best possible hire. 

I think he has earned the right to show us what he can do as owner. This is his first clean slate of hires. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amazingandre said:

I think Cal gets an unfair rap.

I agree. Cal is smart enough to know he isn't smart enough to manage this on his own... And he's smart enough to find people who CAN make this decision.

I'm actually more impressed with Cal right now than I've ever been - I think he's going to come out of this very well.

• Like 1

Cal's story feels very similar to Jed York with the 49ers. Jed inherited the team from his parents and also made a terrible call on a HC/GM power struggle siding with the GM Baalke instead of Harbaugh. After some additional mishaps from the Baalke and Jed (longtime DLine coach Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly as head coaches), he got rid of Baalke who was the root of the issue and then got the GM/HC right with Shanahan and Lynch. Very similar to Jed, I think Cal learned a hard lesson early and is course-correcting appropriately. I'm willing to give Cal the benefit of the doubt because he's doing all the right things now and I love the committee he put together. I've seen how Jed York went from being despised by the 49ers fan base to building a Super Bowl calibur team (wife is a diehard 49ers fan so they're kind of my NFC team now). 

Edited by LORK88
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Cal's story feels very similar to Jed York with the 49ers. Jed inherited the team from his parents and also made a terrible call on a HC/GM power struggle siding with the GM Baalke instead of Harbaugh. After some additional mishaps from the Baalke and Jed (longtime DLine coach Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly as head coaches), he got rid of Baalke who was the root of the issue and then got the GM/HC right with Shanahan and Lynch. Very similar to Jed, I think Cal learned a hard lesson early and is course-correcting appropriately. I'm willing to give Cal the benefit of the doubt because he's doing all the right things now and I love the committee he put together. I've seen how Jed York went from being despised by the 49ers fan base to building a Super Bowl calibur team (wife is a diehard 49ers fan so they're kind of my NFC team now). 

Ha!  I grew up a diehard 49ers fan (TY Ronnie Lott)... They lost me as a fan and York was part of the reason why (many other reasons... mainly the launch of a certain 32nd NFL franchise)