Prospects to keep an eye on..spring edition

indifference

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I mean I get it, but personally I can't fault a guy for sitting out a season during a National pandemic and especially when the conference he played in (PAC-12) wasn't even on planning to play their season when he announced the opt-out, but then PAC-12 reversed course and decided to throw together a make-shift season at the last minute. 

I hope Tryon falls to the 2nd or 3rd round, that will be an absolute steal. 

I dont fault these guys...

But you be your *** I'd hold it against their draft stock if im a GM.

I'm not so sure these opt outs were "all about safety"

Let's be real, it was very calculated.

Guys like Trey Lance had so much hype last year, he was talked about as a top 5 guy.  If he comes out and plays poorly this year he becomes anywhere from a fringe 1st round guy to like a 5th round guy.

That goes for all of these opt out guys. Hell , its super smart.  You don't play, and maintain your status based off last years tape AND don't take anymore hits for a whole season. Its brilliant.

But as a GM it becomes way too difficult to evaluate. I'm not saying I take them off my board. But in no way am I taking them with a high pick. Plus no combine! You don't even know if these guys maintained conditioning or trained well. It's all speculation.

I'm taking the guys that played. 

20 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

That goes for all of these opt out guys. Hell , its super smart.  You don't play, and maintain your status based off last years tape AND don't take anymore hits for a whole season. Its brilliant.

It is. Sitting out and trying to avoid covid while not risking your health for free is a bloody brilliant idea. I agree.

28 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Guys like Trey Lance had so much hype last year, he was talked about as a top 5 guy.  If he comes out and plays poorly this year he becomes anywhere from a fringe 1st round guy to like a 5th round guy.

But as a GM it becomes way too difficult to evaluate. I'm not saying I take them off my board. But in no way am I taking them with a high pick. Plus no combine! You don't even know if these guys maintained conditioning or trained well. It's all speculation.

But that's just the thing. We don't know most of these guys situations outside of the football field. Some of these guys might have a pre-existing medical condition that could've made them more susceptible to contraction and higher risk for poor outcome. It may have been something that NFL teams could care less about as it wouldn't affect their on field performance and us as fans would never even know (something like IBS/Chron's, etc.), or maybe they have a family member or social situation that dictated the move.

For every Trey Lance out there, there are a handful of other guys that because they didn't play, they're stock is will be hurt. Ala the Joe Tryon's. If he would've played and wowed at the combine like most thought, he'd likely have been a top of the 1st round pick. Now, he's late 1st to late 2nd round. So it goes both ways and not the case for all.

I know their will be GM's out there that won't take the risk, but I'd put more stock in my scouting department being able to identify the talent in an interview and reviewing old game tape vs. combine results anyway. Especially with where we pick in the draft, you could walk away with an absolute steal. 

Just my opinion though. Not questioning your thoughts, as I see both sides.   

I have no issue if a prospect opt out.  However, it was still a year from playing and  practicing football in a college environment.  There have been plenty of prospects who looked like guaranteed 1st rounders, but were ineligible because of the 3 yr removed from high school graduation rule.  So the prospect comes back and regresses to the point there draft status is affected.

Prospects like Rousseau, Lance, Parsons, etc had terrific yrs in '19.  However, for the most part that was their first exceptional yr of production.  It is not a given they would have maintained or got near that production again.  I do wonder how teams will project that playing void.  It is an unprecedented situation.  I kind of believe most of the opt out guys are going to drop further then what the mock drafts suggests.  And yes mock drafts are not very accurate to begin with.

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I'm with you somewhat on it. For the guys that sat out, I would definitely put them at the bottom half of players to target. If they were in fear for themselves, then I don't want them at all. Ok that might be harsh but that's my viewpoint on the virus. But I think for the most part it would be influence from their family that pressured them to not play. Plus, maybe some just didn't want to go through all the constant protocols starting that summer. I mean I bet a lot of them regret it. There will be plenty of steals this draft because of it. 

• Like 1

Damn, Javonte Williams is so tempting, but yeah I still don't like the position with a 1st rounder. Although, if we lose Godwin, I might be in more favor of it. But, I do feel a high pick on an interior lineman would be even better, with protection of Brady being paramount. We saw what happened with Marpet going down, and Cappa getting hurt. Who knows what could happen next season. Although you could make the point of a RB like Williams coming in and helping with pass blocking too...

I wouldn't mind Daviyon Nixon with the first pick at all, he just looks like an animal out there.

Ronnie Perkins I saw his highlights and looks solid too. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, indifference said:

You can guarantee at least 1 of our OL starters is going to miss time. I’m all abroad the depth train. I think R3 would be a good area to draft some insurance. Walker Little could be a guy that can play OG/OT if they need him to

Quinn Meinerz has Licht pick written all over him in round 3

I'm on board too

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 1:22 AM, indifference said:

Barmore is a good pass rusher but not a stout run guy at the POA. I’m not sure if Bowles will be OK with that. 

My top 5 would go

1) Azeez Ojulari OLB

2) Joseph Ossai OLB

3) Joe Tyron OLB

4) Jaelin Phillips OLB

5) Najee Harris RB

I value OLB more than DTs in Bowles system though. He likes to drop his backers off in coverage so i cant see the kid from Penn State and Gregory Rosseau on the board. JPP is getting older and its time to start thinking about life after him. His contract is up in 2022 (12M in savings)

We can find a rotational DT in R2 to spell Suh

I agree with this list except for Tyron. Not as big on him but regardless of if we resign Shaq or not, we improve the pass rush further and this defense picks up where they left off in the Super Bowl and with better depth.

I do worry about OL depth some cuz Brady needs the protection. I think he has the 3rd most time to throw of all QBs last year. Martinez in the 3rd would be cool... idk about or depth at T but you can’t have very position covered.

If it’s between Harris and Etienne at 32 and all the good pass rushers are gone, I’m going Harris. Better in pass pro and while he doesn’t have game breaking speed, he’s a 3 down back who can catch probably the best we’ve seen since Warwick Dunn in Tampa. Williams or Gainwell I’d be interested in in the 2nd or 3rd.

• Like 1