Prospects to keep an eye on..spring edition

indifference

My top 5, who I want the Bucs to draft with their first pick

-Travis Etienne (keeping the dream alive, but very unlikely)

-Christian Barmore- Bucs fans appreciate quality DT play

-Terrace Marshall- yup another WR, never enough-especially good ones

-Jaelan Phillips- boom or bust, an heir apparent to JPP

-Zaven Collins- jack of all trades for the defemse would be a lot of fun

Edited by ravishingone
  • Like 1

my top 5 for the first round in no order

Jaelan Phillips

Azeez Ojulari 

Christian Barmore

Gregory Rousseau (a dream i know)

Levi Onwuzurike

Even if we bring back suh and shaq we need to address the DL in the first unless najee harris is there, Etienne would be good as well.

• Like 2

2 things About Barmore that I don't like for us. He seems more catered to stopping the run. Which, I think we all agree that we need pass rushers more than run stoppers. So using a 1st rounder on that I don't like. For a rotational backup DT like that, yes, in the 3rd-4th round. 

And, I someone wrote he takes plays off. I don't like the idea of needing to keep guys motivated. 

1 hour ago, Caaddy24 said:

2 things About Barmore that I don't like for us. He seems more catered to stopping the run. Which, I think we all agree that we need pass rushers more than run stoppers. So using a 1st rounder on that I don't like. For a rotational backup DT like that, yes, in the 3rd-4th round. 

And, I someone wrote he takes plays off. I don't like the idea of needing to keep guys motivated. 

Barmore seems to rely a lot on strength , i dont think he'll  be able to do that as much in the NFL like he did in college

i havent really seen him use many moves

i dont want him

Kwity Paye >>> Barmore imo

Edited by BucsDraftGeek47
  • Like 1

been watching some tape 

DL i want in order

Philips - i think his tape is so good, hes fluid, can rush, set the edge, all around talent, only problem is his injury history and "love of football", more of an OLB like Shaq if he played on our D

Kwity Paye - very smooth, can rush from inside and out

Dayvion Nixon - super athletic for such a big man, and he has some different rush moves that make him effective , kinda like a poor mans , dare i say, Aaron Donald, more of a 34 end than an OLB

Levi Onwuzirike - Strength , power, rush moves, good eyes in the backfield, would be a good 34 DE 

Joeseph Ossai - pure pass rushing talent and good motor, definitely an 34 OLB in the mold of Shaq

Azeez Ojulari - pretty similar to Ossai imo, very good get off, 34 OLB 

Boggie Basham - shows strength and speed in his highlights, hes big enough to be a tweener end OLB hybrid

Jason Oweh - similar to Philips just not as good on tape imo but seems like he has alot of potential to grow, strictly 34 OLB

i just dont like the tape on Rousseau , seems like he got a lot of cheap sacks

Joe Tryon doesnt wow either , idk why hes so highly ranked

i also mentioned above ,  that im not in on Barmore

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Joe Tryon doesnt wow either , idk why hes so highly ranked

We must not be watching the same clips then, because from his 2019 tape I've seen, it's pretty impressive.

Prototype 3-4 rush backer size, shows power to set the edge, good first step and get off (he could end up being real food in this area once his recognition develops with more coaching). Has the speed and athleticism to dominate and has shown it (watch the 2019 game against then #6 Utah) and understands his assignments.

His biggest weakness is that he gets high in his pad level at times and can over overpursue plays at times, but those are all very coachable corrections. Remember, he was thrust into a full time starter as a sophmore and then opted out last year, so he's still learning the position. He has all the traits of a double digit sack artist.

I've said this before, but if he would've played last year and we had a normal combine, you'd be talking about 10-15 pick range for him.

I love his game.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We must not be watching the same clips then, because from his 2019 tape I've seen, it's pretty impressive.

Prototype 3-4 rush backer size, shows power to set the edge, good first step and get off (he could end up being real food in this area once his recognition develops with more coaching). Has the speed and athleticism to dominate and has shown it (watch the 2019 game against then #6 Utah) and understands his assignments.

His biggest weakness is that he gets high in his pad level at times and can over overpursue plays at times, but those are all very coachable corrections. Remember, he was thrust into a full time starter as a sophmore and then opted out last year, so he's still learning the position. He has all the traits of a double digit sack artist.

I've said this before, but if he would've played last year and we had a normal combine, you'd be talking about 10-15 pick range for him.

I love his game.

From that, he sounds like the perfect guy to hope falls and can be the third/fourth rusher behind Shaq and JPP.

• Like 1

Barmore is a good pass rusher but not a stout run guy at the POA. I’m not sure if Bowles will be OK with that. 

My top 5 would go

1) Azeez Ojulari OLB

2) Joseph Ossai OLB

3) Joe Tyron OLB

4) Jaelin Phillips OLB

5) Najee Harris RB

I value OLB more than DTs in Bowles system though. He likes to drop his backers off in coverage so i cant see the kid from Penn State and Gregory Rosseau on the board. JPP is getting older and its time to start thinking about life after him. His contract is up in 2022 (12M in savings)

We can find a rotational DT in R2 to spell Suh

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I love his game.

I'll to back and watch some more

But you hit the weaknesses spot on

He over pursues and is consistently getting high with pad level, idk he just didn't stand out in the vids I watched in comparison to some of the other guys 

I'm also REALLY not into the guys that took a year off with the "opt out"

How many times have we seen guys projected at round 1 or 2 drop 3+ plus rounds the following year ? All the time. Especially with guys like Tryon that are, as you say, still developing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I'll to back and watch some more

But you hit the weaknesses spot on

He over pursues and is consistently getting high with pad level, idk he just didn't stand out in the vids I watched in comparison to some of the other guys 

How many times have we seen guys projected at round 1 or 2 drop 3+ plus rounds the following year ? All the time. Especially with guys like Tryon that are, as you say, still developing.

You bring up a very interesting point with the "opt out".  Prospects have skipped bowl games in the past, but this is the first time so many prospects skipped an entire yr.  These prospects were not around the team.  I m sure they were doing football activities elsewhere, but all those missed practice and game reps are gone.  Will those prospects (ex-Parsons and Rousseau) drop down a teams' draft board?  

IIRC, Licht up to this point has not drafted a prospect who opted out of any games.  Not sure what happens this draft.  I know BA was not happy about missing OTAs last season effecting young players development.  Would they really want a prospect in theory that far behind the development curve?  Going to be a very interesting draft.  

13 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

From that, he sounds like the perfect guy to hope falls and can be the third/fourth rusher behind Shaq and JPP.

Exactly my thought. You give him a year to be a rotational rusher and learn behind those two + two off-seasons (this year and next) and 1 season for the coaching staff to coach him up.

He's be ready to take over full time for JPP in 2022. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I mean I get it, but personally I can't fault a guy for sitting out a season during a National pandemic and especially when the conference he played in (PAC-12) wasn't even on planning to play their season when he announced the opt-out, but then PAC-12 reversed course and decided to throw together a make-shift season at the last minute. 

I hope Tryon falls to the 2nd or 3rd round, that will be an absolute steal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

You bring up a very interesting point with the "opt out".  Prospects have skipped bowl games in the past, but this is the first time so many prospects skipped an entire yr.  These prospects were not around the team.  I m sure they were doing football activities elsewhere, but all those missed practice and game reps are gone.  Will those prospects (ex-Parsons and Rousseau) drop down a teams' draft board?  

IIRC, Licht up to this point has not drafted a prospect who opted out of any games.  Not sure what happens this draft.  I know BA was not happy about missing OTAs last season effecting young players development.  Would they really want a prospect in theory that far behind the development curve?  Going to be a very interesting draft.  

If I'm a FO or scouting staff, I view this year very differently than anything previously. Personally, I in no way would fault a kid for choosing not to participate in a sport where you're required to be around a large group of people from diverse backgrounds almost daily during a worldwide pandemic where literally medical experts are telling you to socially distance and avoid large gatherings. As such, I'm not going to remove them or drop them down on my board.

With a guy like Tryon, I'm going to evaluate the game tape he has (a full season) and I'm going to do even more homework than normal (I'm gonna have a call into every one of his coaches, positional coaches from college and high school , the AD's and support staffs to learn about him, I'm gonna look for players that have played with him at Washington that are now in the NFL and reach out to them, I'm gonna talk with current teammates). 

With this team coming off a SB win, I'm looking to get the BPA at my pick. If I can project a player to be an absolute impact guy in 1-2 years, instead of just looking to get an instant starter from day 1 I'm pulling the trigger. I would expect that I have assembled a formidable coaching staff that can get him where I need him to be in that timeframe. 

• Like 1