Prospects to keep an eye on..spring edition

indifference

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

PR had him in their first mock as well. Wonder if there's some smoke that everyone's seeing.

Possible, I think it s more about the position and the consensus he is RB3. If Harris or Etienne are on the board, I doubt Williams gets picked over them.  

If Lombardi Lenny comes back, I would hope they don t go RB in first rd unless of course Etienne is there

9 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Possible, I think it s more about the position and the consensus he is RB3. If Harris or Etienne are on the board, I doubt Williams gets picked over them.  

If Lombardi Lenny comes back, I would hope they don t go RB in first rd unless of course Etienne is there

I'm not so sure teams view him as the RB3 though. I've heard some have him as their 1B or 2. He's my 2nd RB on my board. Don't get me wrong though, I have all 3 guys (Harris, Williams and Etienne) with 1st round grades and all are legit. I just think the first two are better suited to hold up to a 17 game schedule with 25 touches a game.

I think the Lenny ship has sailed. He's bottom of the bottom priority IMO...

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that we're going IOL/IDL in the first two rounds, unless someone drops to us you wouldn't expect i.e. OJ Howard.

Christian Barmore is my new crush and #1 target for the 1st round. He's shown flashes of dominance as only a RS Soph and could come in and split time with Suh this season while he continues to learn from some great coaches. Putting a 6'5 310lb DE next to Vea would create havoc with Shaq, Devin, or whoever we want to blitz around and through them. 

Quinn Meinerz in the 2nd is another pick that'd fall in line. Cappa and Jensen are UFA next year, and both with question marks going forward; Jensen (age) and Cappa (injury). We've seen how elite play (Marpet, Wirfs) impacts the line, Quinn has that potential to be up there on those guys level. 

I could see it the opposite way too, drafting a guy like Teven Jenkins or Alex Leatherwood in the 1st. They could start at G right away, and be the #1 backup swing tackle. There's going to be injuries on the line during the season, and having guys that could step into 4 different positions could come up big. There's quite a bit of DL prospects at the end of 2 then, with guys like Marvin Wilson, Jay Tufele, Levi Onwuzurike to name a few. 

I'm not seeing edge in the first 2 rounds anymore. They'd be locked into a backup role next season, maybe the next two seasons. I think we need someone who has more potential to make an impact while Brady is around.

I'd give Licht and the FO a shot to get an edge to develop in the 3rd/4th round. He's had an insane track record in these rounds, finding Dean, Edwards, Nelson, Cappa, Whitehead, Godwin, Beckwith, and Kwon. His 'worst' pick in these rounds has been Ryan Smith, a ST ace who himself has stuck around longer and has provided more value than the average 4th rounder. Oh and two other players they loved and barely missed out on recently in the 3rd: Diontae Johnson and Antonio Gibson. 

Whatever formula/method/evaluation they have going for these rounds is unprecedented. Keep trusting it and draft for positions of need in 2 years.  Besides edge, we could go a number of ways. Another long CB to develop in case we lose Carlton to FA? Grab a TE to develop since it's likely OJs last year with us? Another mid round WR in case we have to let go of Godwin next year? Whoever it is, the FO has earned our trust and Im excited to see who they find next. 

• Like 3

To add to the RB discussion: 

Watching tape of Travis Etienne now, and convincing myself he's not in play for us. I think he'll be a good player, we can just get better value with our 1st rounder. People see his highlights and I think they see a CMac type, but funnily enough he's actually reminding me of Ronald Jones as a prospect. Travis is a bit faster, and a better receiver, but I dont think the difference between him and a RoJo/Ke'Shawn rotation is going to make that huge of a difference. Then again, Im probably higher on our guys than most. I think ultimately we'd be regretting the pick a bit, kind of like the Chiefs are regretting CEH even though he's a solid player. There's as more of a chance he follows Leonard Fournette's career path as there is he's the next Kamara. 

1 hour ago, haveyoumetdustin said:

The more I think about it, the more I convince myself that we're going IOL/IDL in the first two rounds, unless someone drops to us you wouldn't expect i.e. OJ Howard.

Christian Barmore is my new crush and #1 target for the 1st round. He's shown flashes of dominance as only a RS Soph and could come in and split time with Suh this season while he continues to learn from some great coaches. Putting a 6'5 310lb DE next to Vea would create havoc with Shaq, Devin, or whoever we want to blitz around and through them. 

Quinn Meinerz in the 2nd is another pick that'd fall in line. Cappa and Jensen are UFA next year, and both with question marks going forward; Jensen (age) and Cappa (injury). We've seen how elite play (Marpet, Wirfs) impacts the line, Quinn has that potential to be up there on those guys level. 

I could see it the opposite way too, drafting a guy like Teven Jenkins or Alex Leatherwood in the 1st. They could start at G right away, and be the #1 backup swing tackle. There's going to be injuries on the line during the season, and having guys that could step into 4 different positions could come up big. There's quite a bit of DL prospects at the end of 2 then, with guys like Marvin Wilson, Jay Tufele, Levi Onwuzurike to name a few. 

I'm not seeing edge in the first 2 rounds anymore. They'd be locked into a backup role next season, maybe the next two seasons. I think we need someone who has more potential to make an impact while Brady is around.

I'd give Licht and the FO a shot to get an edge to develop in the 3rd/4th round. He's had an insane track record in these rounds, finding Dean, Edwards, Nelson, Cappa, Whitehead, Godwin, Beckwith, and Kwon. His 'worst' pick in these rounds has been Ryan Smith, a ST ace who himself has stuck around longer and has provided more value than the average 4th rounder. Oh and two other players they loved and barely missed out on recently in the 3rd: Diontae Johnson and Antonio Gibson. 

Whatever formula/method/evaluation they have going for these rounds is unprecedented. Keep trusting it and draft for positions of need in 2 years.  Besides edge, we could go a number of ways. Another long CB to develop in case we lose Carlton to FA? Grab a TE to develop since it's likely OJs last year with us? Another mid round WR in case we have to let go of Godwin next year? Whoever it is, the FO has earned our trust and Im excited to see who they find next. 

Very good write up 

Only thing I don't agree with is the Barmore take, as I am not high on him

Taking your approach of trying to draft someone that would make an instant impact as a rookie and its difficult to see

I still think an Edge would make the most impact,  as they would see more 1v1 opportunities to get sacks

Other than that OL for depth 

Only other way is if we draft a CB that plays out of their minds and starts or same thing with a Safety that just jumps Whitehead on the depth chart

But those are hard to see 

3 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Very good write up 

Only thing I don't agree with is the Barmore take, as I am not high on him

Taking your approach of trying to draft someone that would make an instant impact as a rookie and its difficult to see

I still think an Edge would make the most impact,  as they would see more 1v1 opportunities to get sacks

Other than that OL for depth 

Only other way is if we draft a CB that plays out of their minds and starts or same thing with a Safety that just jumps Whitehead on the depth chart

But those are hard to see 

Appreciate it, enjoy starting more discussion and seeing different views. I can see how people are wary on Barmore because of his lows, but I like giving credit to young guys on their highs and hope to build off of that. 

I could see it both ways as well, I just prefer IDL over edge for instant impact because of snap count. With JPP and Shaq, they're guys that always play 90%+ of snaps and dont really need to come off the field. The big guys up front ideally play ~70% of snaps to keep them fresh, so there's more opportunity for a rookie to work into the rotation and relieve our starters. Also, with Suh's age, he's at a higher risk of falling off or getting injured. I'd like someone better than Nacho starting if either happens. 

For CB, what im thinking is we take a shot on a someone in the 4th/5th and hope he turns into a starter in 2 years. I'd love to keep Carlton and Jamel for the next 5 years, but eventually we're going to have to make some decisions on who to pay and who to let go. At S, atleast we have Mike for another couple years in case we lose Whitehead. 

56 minutes ago, haveyoumetdustin said:

To add to the RB discussion: 

Watching tape of Travis Etienne now, and convincing myself he's not in play for us. I think he'll be a good player, we can just get better value with our 1st rounder. People see his highlights and I think they see a CMac type, but funnily enough he's actually reminding me of Ronald Jones as a prospect. Travis is a bit faster, and a better receiver, but I dont think the difference between him and a RoJo/Ke'Shawn rotation is going to make that huge of a difference. Then again, Im probably higher on our guys than most. I think ultimately we'd be regretting the pick a bit, kind of like the Chiefs are regretting CEH even though he's a solid player. There's as more of a chance he follows Leonard Fournette's career path as there is he's the next Kamara. 

I don't see the RoJo comparison with Etienne. RoJo was never really asked to catch the ball at USC and in the rare instances he was, he flopped at it. That has carried over to the NFL as expected.

Etienne has shown the ability to catch the ball, but also that he wan make a play after as well. They are about as polar opposites in that area IMO...

I think a better comp for Etienne is the Reggie Bush/CJ Spiller molded RB's...

33 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I don't see the RoJo comparison with Etienne. RoJo was never really asked to catch the ball at USC and in the rare instances he was, he flopped at it. That has carried over to the NFL as expected.

Etienne has shown the ability to catch the ball, but also that he wan make a play after as well. They are about as polar opposites in that area IMO...

I think a better comp for Etienne is the Reggie Bush/CJ Spiller molded RB's...

Just dont see the elusiveness that Reggie and CJ had, and I think they were both better athletes than Travis. Not saying Travis is a slouch, he's probably top 5% at the position, but Reggie & CJ were top 1%. They also had different running styles. And yes I should've emphasized even more, but yes I think he's RoJo + receiving skills. PFF made the comparison of a better Lamar Miller for Etienne and I kind of like that. 

Licht has came out and said the draft will be about getting players that will develop into starters...that tells me

Jansen

Cappa

Suh

JPP

Jones

Draft replacements will be heavily considered to create cap space down the road. We have to pay CD24 next year, Vea the following year, then D White will be next. 

The strength of the draft is OL so I think Bucs should grab someone that can play multiple positions. 

Edited by indifference
  • Like 1