Eagles name Jalen Hurts starting QB

August4th

20 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Can you guys quit associating Wentz to the Colts. They have other important players to extend like Leonard, Nelson, Braden Smith.  I’d rather Colts try to get Dak, Stafford or draft a QB.

It easily makes the most sense if the Eagles want to trade him and are able to. You have the money to absorb the salary, your coach as a prior, personal, successful history with Wentz, and you have a need. Not saying it happens, but you absolutely have to be the team at the top of the prospective teams for him. The cowboys probably aren't going to let Dak go, and there is no guarantee that Stafford is gone. You will also have a lot of competition for Stafford which will include teams with higher picks. You're not going to be in a position to draft a QB that can come in and lead a playoff team right away. Your roster has a window now. You could run rivers back, and you probably have a smaller variance there, but a lower ceiling. I'm not even a Wentz fan, but I won't deny that he has a ceiling that could win you a super bowl. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

He'll get a lot more than a 5th. The Eagles are eating a bunch of that contract. Probably from the Colts, is my bet too.

I don't know how they are eating a bunch of the contract. They can't afford to with their cap situation. They will eat the dead money, but I can't see them taking on more of the guarantees to make his contract more palatable for another team. 

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

There's already too strong of a rift between Pederson and Lurie at this point it seems. Pederson is rumored to not want to coach here anymore.

How's howie's relationship with Lurie? If it's not great, he should be sweating. He's complicit in this. I have seen those contracts that he has given out and their structure is awful. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

It easily makes the most sense if the Eagles want to trade him and are able to. You have the money to absorb the salary, your coach as a prior, personal, successful history with Wentz, and you have a need. Not saying it happens, but you absolutely have to be the team at the top of the prospective teams for him. The cowboys probably aren't going to let Dak go, and there is no guarantee that Stafford is gone. You will also have a lot of competition for Stafford which will include teams with higher picks. You're not going to be in a position to draft a QB that can come in and lead a playoff team right away. Your roster has a window now. You could run rivers back, and you probably have a smaller variance there, but a lower ceiling. I'm not even a Wentz fan, but I won't deny that he has a ceiling that could win you a super bowl. 

Maybe I might come around to it eventually after the season. Currently though let’s see how this season plays out with Rivers and the Colts.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Maybe I might come around to it eventually after the season. Currently though let’s see how this season plays out with Rivers and the Colts.

Oh, I'm not saying you should be happy or excited for the prospect LOL. It's just an unfortunate, logical act that could happen 

• Like 1

Absolutely hilarious to non-Eagles fans how rapidly Wentz has declined. From potential MVP candidate to backup in a few short years. Not sure Hurts is going to be better though, wouldn't surprise me if he struggles a game or two just so Pederson can justify returning to Wentz.

But man, the Eagles need to count their blessings they managed to pull out a SB trophy during their window. Which is ultimately what matters in the end.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

How's howie's relationship with Lurie? If it's not great, he should be sweating. He's complicit in this. I have seen those contracts that he has given out and their structure is awful. 

Here's OTC with their Top 25 worst contracts and the Eagles made the list for Wentz and Alshon Jeffrey

https://overthecap.com/the-worst-contracts-in-the-nfl/

12 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's OTC with their Top 25 worst contracts and the Eagles made the list for Wentz and Alshon Jeffrey

https://overthecap.com/the-worst-contracts-in-the-nfl/

I mean, Brandon Graham is in the last year of his deal with a 17M dollar hit and if they cut him, they save 700K. Keep in mind, he has no guarantees left. Fletcher Cox has 2 years left, a 23 million dollar cap hit, and they save a little over 2 million next year. He has no salary currently guaranteed. Malik Jackson is in the last year of his deal, has a 13M cap hit and they save 1 million by cutting him. His salary next year is not guaranteed....these are all from signing bonuses, restructures and ghost years 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

I honestly think they're both gone after this season. With Pederson likely being gone, assume Howie gets to pick a new coach for next season, but then Lurie decides he wants to get a new GM the following year, that new GM would want to pick his own coach.

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

if you look at the Eagles cap page...there's a lot of (red numbers) which mean there's a net loss for cutting those guys instead of a net gain

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/

They clearly wentz all- in, but instead... they're all out and couldn't have picked a worse year to be in dire straits

As @N4L can attest, I've been working on this a while lol. It's a cluster. The 195M cap would help a huge amount...means that they need to clear only about 50-55M in space, I think, given their rollover and accounting for the rookie class. But yeah, there not a lot of fat that they can get rid of.

Alshon / D-Jax / Goodwin will all be gone, but unless they june 1 Alshon and D-Jax, that only saves them about 17-18. Then they have to move Ertz most likely, that will give them another 4. Extending Barnett would at best give  them 7, otherwise they will need to cut him. So there's a real possibility that they have to make some of these guys june 1 cuts, which impacts not just next year just to get under the cap, but gives the a considerable amount of dead cap in 2022. They are even underwater on Jake Elliott unless they trade him lol. Ultimately, they may have to trade Slay for peanuts and make moves such as that. My gut is that they are going to be really, really bad in short order, so they likely have a shot at drafting a guy like Howell or Slovis in 2022

• Like 1