Sixers, Joel Embiid Agreed to 5 year, $148M Extension

sdrawkcab321

3 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Maybe they gave the contract early to show some loyalty, so maybe down the road if he's a beast he's less likely to bolt to whatever next super team is on the horizon.

Pretty sure it just for the protections on the last page. So they can get out of it if they have to. They are gonna match any contract next year anyways, might as well get as much control as possible.

7 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Part of it IMO has been the Sixers being overly cautious because they knew they were rebuilding/tanking/wanting to lose.  

I suspect Embiid could have played a lot more the first two years in a different situation.

This is possible. I'm not sure I could dispute this or you could prove this as a fact at this point. It's just a very tough situation on what to do with him because he is so dominant when he plays.

On 2017-10-11 at 12:34 PM, Mossburg said:

Maybe they gave the contract early to show some loyalty, so maybe down the road if he's a beast he's less likely to bolt to whatever next super team is on the horizon.

This is almost certainly true. I can't go against this. Again this was a very tough situation.

What I would have done was offer him a little less to see if he would bite and take the security or hey if you wanna prove to us the player you are go for it and we can give you a max next year if you reach some sort of expectations in games played, etc.

Both of these are fair points though. It's easy as hell to criticize so I did but it was a beyond difficult situation for the front office.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 11:08 PM, the lone star said:

I'm glad Embiid got paid, but with the way the cap is expected to increase, I feel like he could have gotten way more.

And he also could have missed the entire year again and not gotten paid.

There was risk on both sides (although somewhat mitigated by structure of contract). With his injury history, don't think he regrets taking what he did. 

16 hours ago, mm6492 said:

And he also could have missed the entire year again and not gotten paid.

There was risk on both sides (although somewhat mitigated by structure of contract). With his injury history, don't think he regrets taking what he did. 

For sure. $148 million is still A LOT of money.

Archived