2020 GDT Week #14 Steelers at Bills

Steeler Hitman

Feel bad to looking forward to the offseason already but a few things:

Haden won't be cut because he's playing fine.  Depending on where the cap is, he could be a prime paycut candidate or give him a 2 year extension, convert some money to bonus and add little new money to create a ton of cap.

We need to hope these rumors of a $195-198milllion cap is true.

Understand next year is likely to be a "bite the bullet" type year on the cap.  We're gonna lose a ton of guys, have a ton of dead cap, likely stink, and miss the playoffs.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

I think there's going to be a behind the doors agreement with Watt.  Play 2021 under the 5th year option, we're gonna tag you no matter what, but then we will take care of you.  We got massive 2021 cap space coming.  There's no way a deal can be reached that lowers his 2020 cap number from $10mil

There's no way they will move on from Pouncey AND DeCastro in the same offseason, especially with AV being a free agent, Feiler being a FA, Banner being a FA.  Now of that I can see Banner taking a below market deal to come back, and I can see them retooling DeCastro's contract with a 2 year extension to move his cap hit into the $8mil range (from $14mil).  That means AV, Feiler walking, and maybe Pouncey retiring.  That would put Dodson at LG, Haussner at OC (unless we draft one).  LT is the problem spot so maybe you move Okorafor over there and put Banner back at RT.  Otherwise you are looking to draft a LT.  Maybe someone like Liam Eichenberg.

We need to sign a RB this offseason.  This group ain't cutting it.

• Like 1

The Bills started playing with 9 players within 5 yards of the LOS.  The 2 safeties were the only two back they they were not back that deep.  Teams have this offense figured out.  If Ben/finchter are not willing to change then it will be a very short playoff run.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The Bills started playing with 9 players within 5 yards of the LOS.  The 2 safeties were the only two back they they were not back that deep.  Teams have this offense figured out.  If Ben/finchter are not willing to change then it will be a very short playoff run.

I'm beginning to think we can't change. I don't think Ben can make the throws anymore. 

• Like 3

starting to think the reason we run this kind of offense is because we have to do to Ben and the O-line regressing. no OC or QB should want to have a system like this..especially a QB like Ben...we saw signs of this in 2019 in the limited time we had with Ben...did not see many deep shots or great throws in the 1.5 games Ben played last yr

Edited by August4th

I hope they rebuild this offense into a physical one once Ben/Randy are gone(wanted them to do that during his late 30s, but that shipped has sailed) they need to take notes from the Ravens, Niners, Pats, titans and Browns run games. I hope they hire someone who excels in putting together versatile run games and play action(we might already have that guy here in Canada). I would like the front office to focus on mean physical Maulers for the O-line(Dotson is a good start), Tight ends(we have no youth with upside there), Running backs(just a bunch of meh there) and fullbacks. we already have widouts who can block

10 minutes ago, August4th said:

I hope they rebuild this offense into a physical one once Ben/Randy are gone(wanted them to do that during his late 30s, but that shipped has sailed) they need to take notes from the Ravens, Niners, Pats, titans and Browns run games. I hope they hire someone who excels in putting together versatile run games and play action(we might already have that guy here in Canada). I would like the front office to focus on mean physical Maulers for the O-line(Dotson is a good start), Tight ends(we have no youth with upside there), Running backs(just a bunch of meh there) and fullbacks. we already have widouts who can block

I'm still on the fence about Dotson but I really hope we go LT or G in the 1st round.

Creed Humphrey, Sam Cosmi, Christian Darrisaw, Wyatt Davis.

One of those guys imo.  Frankly I hope we go OL in the 1st 2 rounds.

its worrisome that Ben has a banged up knee despite barley being touched all season. its amazing he's been able to stay in the NFL this long, but  father time is knocking on the door.  a 39/40 yr old Ben making 40+ mil a yr leading a offense like this sounds like a disaster.... he won't get better

Ok ran 2 mocks, here's what transpired:

thedraftnetwork:

Rd1 - Liam Eichenberg OT ND; Rd2 - Jackson Carman OL Clemson; Rd 3 - Hunter Long TE BC; Rd 4 - Shi Smith WR South Carolina; Rd 4 (comp) - Drake Jackson OC Kentucky; Rd 6 - Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas; Rd 6 (comp) - Joshua Kaindoh Edge FSU; Rd 7 - Amari Gainer LB FSU; Rd 7 - Robert Cooper IDL FSU

So Liam Eichenberg seems like 100% he will be available where we draft.  I like him at LT and seems to have a good skillset for ti.  Jackson Carman is currently a LT at Clemson, but I think he projects more at OG in the NFL, however I would let him "battle" with Eichenberg with the loser going to LG.  Hunter Long is a bit of a Heath Miller type TE, good at everything great at nothing, moves the chains, solid against the run.  Shi Smith came into his own as a WR, more of an outside type guy.  Drake Jackson is a pure C in the NFL, and should be a god one, but lack of versatility is going to bump him down in the draft.  Robert Rochell is a bit of a project, but reminds me a bunch of Ike Taylor.  Joshua Kaindoh has all the tools, but lacks in skills.  Amari Gainer is a bit of jack of all trades Edge/ILB/SS/FS.  Robert Cooper is a pure run stuffing NT.

themockdraftdatabase:

Rd 1 - Liam Eichenberg OT ND; Rd 2 Chuba Hubbard RB OKSt; Rd 3 - Ben Cleveland IOL Georgia; Rd 4 - Kenny Yaboah TE Ole Miss; Rd 6 - Paddy Fisher LB Northwestern; Rd 7 - Robert Rochell CB Central Arkansas; Rd 7 - Haskell Garrett DL OSU

See above for Liam Eichenberg.  I know some are down on Chuba Hubbard but he's better than anything we already have and it's gonna be a need.  Ben Cleveland brings some grit and toughness inside.  Kenny Yaboah is more of a pass catcher but we can see how that effects our offense.  Paddy Fisher is a Big Red clone basically.  Robert Rochell, see above.  Haskell Garrett lines up all over for OSU and gives some 1, 3, 4 tech versatility.

Remember when we used to scheme AB open when he struggled beating the press early in his career? Our WRs need something like that now. Teams are pressing us and disrupting the timing. I still think the lion's share of the blame needs to be thrown at Ben's feet because he can't throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field. I just remembered how well we used to scheme for AB. 

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Remember when we used to scheme AB open when he struggled beating the press early in his career? Our WRs need something like that now. Teams are pressing us and disrupting the timing. I still think the lion's share of the blame needs to be thrown at Ben's feet because he can't throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field. I just remembered how well we used to scheme for AB. 

I remember how we did that weeks 1-7 too. 

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I have come to the conclusion Ben has too much control over the offense and Fichtner is trash when he is controlling it.

Ben's arm is shot. This short passing game, its predictable and too easy to defend. They basically have run the same offense for 3 weeks straight without any adjustments 

I dont know if Id necessarily say Ben's arm is "shot"....I think his deep balls are just inaccurate.  He was losing his deep accuracy dating back to 2018.   He has overthrown more than he has underthrown.    He still has zip on the ball.    I do think his arm wears down faster, but he is also a 38 year old QB they are asking to throw the ball an average of 40 times a game.   Even if they are short passes, that will wear on your arm, especially given his situation.    

IMO, Ben is primarily just collecting a paycheck.   Ive seen little passion out of him this year.    He is getting paid huge money to throw it 5 yards.   He wont do a freaking QB sneak on 4th and inches.     

There are plenty of ways Ben has regressed, but I dont think his arm strength is a major issue.   

EDIT:   To clarify,  its not just his deep accuracy that has faded, but when it comes to throwing down the field, I dont think his issue is lack of arm strength.    

Edited by 43M

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I remember how we did that weeks 1-7 too. 

What is your guess as to why they stopped? I didn't notice us doing it in the first half of the season, but I'm not very good at recognizing schemes. I basically just watch the games. I don't understand the schemes watching live without having someone break it down.