Offseason Plan

jetsfan4life51

• Looking over some of the best passing attacks a lot of it boils down to QB play.  I don’t see teams that are rolling deep with 3-4 WRs.  Most teams have their stud then another good/great WR or TE.  Right now we have piss poor QB play and coaching.  Sam is not allowed to audible at the line which puts us at a huge disadvantage.  OL play has honestly been great considering how abysmal it has been the previous few years.  It’s crazy that we may go 0-16 and barring incompetent moves I feel great about this team going forward.
  • Another thing we must do is change our defensive strategy.  We need to run a base of 4 down linemen.  Q will explode, Zuniga will fit in better, JFM and Foley will do fine.  We can use a rotation on the edge and then we just need to find that one edge player.  But this gives us flexibility.  Instead of trying to find a guy who stands up, we can look for a down lineman. Plus we know our guys are versatile enough and have the experience for when we want to use 3.  I think we would be able to create more pressure as well.  Then with Mosley, Cashman, Hewitt, draftee we can roll mainly 2 LBs.  We need to grab a rangy LB in the draft who can patrol the middle of the field.  Who knows how Mosley will be after two years off and what seems to be a real beta attitude.
  • Back to position analysis just thinking out loud.  What’s the goal for WR in Free Agency?  Are we getting a starter? Do we just want a vet placeholder? Speed or reliable target?  Hypothetically if we get a solid vet in the Allen Robinson talent range, that gives us 3 capable starting WRs.  As much as I want a 1st round WR, we may be wasting him early.  Unless this is a long term move not bringing back Crowder.  On the other hand, if we skip WR in free agency and then have to rely on a rookie, Mims and Crowder, that is a gamble.  I’m shying away from the Perriman train.  I would prefer to draft a deep threat instead of bringing him back.  Between his health issues and IMO not being a "gamer" I would rather let him go in favor of a free agent and/or draft pick.  But after going through the rosters of teams with the most passing yards, it has been more of a testament to the QB than the weapons IMO.  And while we’re with receivers, IDK what the hell to think with our TEs.  Herndon and Griffin both flashed but between the way Gase and Loggains use TEs now and how bad Sam has been we have to write both guys off. Herndon hasn’t helped by dropping his few targets.
  • Next up is OL.  We all expect JD to pay Thuney.  In fact I think we'll all be upset and shocked if we can't land him unless BB decides to pay him.  Luckily a previous draft favorite, Elflein, has looked great. Is that because he is next to Becton?  Don't know, don't care.  But the real question is what is his position? Do we give up on McGovern and move him to Center.  Do we give McGovern one last chance and slide him to RG?  I believe if we land Thuney then we should use TC to see who is better suited at C and RG.  Maybe McGovern slides over and plays better.  I am a huge fan of both Wyatt Davis in the first or Trey Smith top of the 2nd for us, and we know how important the OL is, but I think we can get away with what we have.  If we don't get Thuney then obviously a first round OG would be very smart.  But with all of our holes and some confidence in how our roster can play out I think we should be spreading out our resources.  I originally wanted every position on the offense drafted with our first 4-5 picks but things are changing.
  • Let's move over to the secondary now.  Bryce Hall is a starter.  We have some young guys who I do not want to give up on yet.  We have Poole for the slot when healthy.  I think this is an easy fix.  Get a pass rusher, use a 4 man front and grab a CB in FA.  I would not be opposed to it but I don't see the need to spend a top pick on a CB until other things are fixed.  We have money, we can sign a guy.  It would be nice to have the experience.  Now with Safety I hope we lock up Maye and he becomes the leader.  But we need another Safety in the mix.  I'm still not sure what position Maye is. Davis has been struggling in coverage and being asked to blitz a lot.  If we have the option to find a rangy Safety I would prefer that.  I am Maye's biggest critic on tackling but his best game was week 1 playing in the box.  I don't think that is Davis' role so we need a coverage guy incase they keep trying to put Davis in the box.

Head Coach
Until we hear an actual no I am going with Matt Campbell as my guy.  This is going to be a young team with the 1st overall pick, multiple picks, new QB, etc. and I think that plus a fat check is enough to lure him to the NFL ranks. I don’t have the slightest clue who his coordinators will be but this guy is a leader and I want him to pick whoever he feels would be best.

Resign
Marcus Maye
- we need a team leader, he hasn’t earned a huge ticket so we can lock him up for a good price
Neville Hewitt- good depth to have
Brian Poole- important slot CB, will be a big piece moving forward
Jeff or Vyncint Smith
Tarell Basham

Let Walk/Cut
Henry Anderson
Breshad Perriman
Bradley MacDougald
- anyone remember he exists? Lol
Jordan Jenkins

Free Agents
Joe Thuney LG
- JD is ready and willing to pay
Allen Robinson WR- still at a safe age, he’s a reliable target and is putting up big numbers with brutal QB play.  He will be excited for the young Lawrence to toss his way.
Shaq Barrett DE- he wanted a long term deal, will be testing the waters.  Hasn’t lived up to his contract year last year but we can afford to pay him
Ronald Darby CB- not going to lie, just picking a random solid CB in free agency who may take a modest contract.  I can’t expect us to keep landing guys just because we have money
Leonard Fournette RB- wants to prove himself as the lead dog.  Little competition in the Jets backfield for him.  He can block and catch which is very important for a rookie QB.  Could be a cheap one year prove it deal or we grab him for 2 years.

Trade
New York Jets trade Sam Darnold to Chicago Bears for 3rd round pick plus future conditional based on if he resigns.  The Bears are in no man’s land.  Not high enough to grab a top guy.  They take Sam as a reclamation project at a potentially low cost, while keeping high picks to add talent at RB and WR.  And if he works out then it’s worth the future conditional pick.  JD gambles and likes his chances with the 2022 pick.

Draft
1(1)- Trevor Lawrence QB, Clemson

-No explanation needed
1(26)- Pat Freirmeuth TE, Penn State
-While my draft man crush is Kyle Pitts, he’s going top 15.  But Pat F is going to be everyone’s favorite player.  Uses his hands, excellent and diverse route runner, knows how to get open and work the middle of the field, plows through defenders after the catch.  Having him work the middle of the field along with Crowder is going to do wonders for Lawrence.  Having him as a starting TE is more valuable than drafting a WR that will be 4th on the depth chart.
2(1)- Patrick Jones II DE, Pittsburgh
-JD listens for trade offers and my gut tells me he takes one but if it’s me I take the top pass rusher available.  Perfect fit for the transition back to a 4 man front.  Not going to burn you with explosiveness off the snap (one weakness is he’s a little delayed) but he offers a variety of moves.  He will beat you with speed, bull rush, spin, inside moves and my favorite part is he strips the football.  When it’s 3rd down and he pins his ears back he will explode off the snap, just wish it was more consistent.  Good run defender too.
3(1)- Jacoby Stevens Hybrid, LSU
-Is he a Safety? Is he a LB? Either way he is someone who can help patrol the middle of the field where we are weak as shhh. Let Maye and Davis play the traditional S roles but this guy can cover TEs, heck maybe even a slot here and there, and he brings the heat when rushing the passer.  I say convert this guy to a LB or just have him as a jack of all trades.  He will provide plenty of value to the defense. Seriously we get punished in the middle of the field and I think he can be a huge help. 
3(13)- Kadarius Toney WR, Florida
-As long as we sign a free agent WR then my goal is to wait and draft a burner.  This guy is extremely shifty once he gets the ball into his hands and a creative OC will have a field day with him.  Then he can open up the field with a few deep shots as well.
3(26)- Jimmy Morrisey C, Pittsburgh
-Technician who will sit and gain some size/strength.
4(1)- Thomas Graham Jr, CB, Oregon
-Slot CB and depth
5(1)- Charles Snowden LB, Virginia
-Once again, don’t know how Mosley will play and we need rangy LBers.
5(19)- Rhamonde Stevenson RB, Oklahoma
-Suspended earlier in the year, has dropped weight and had a couple of monster games
7(1)- Brett Cimaglia K, Tennessee
-Wanted a kicker and threw him in since Bobby did lol.
7(26)- OL

Man is it tempting to beef up the OL and grab a Guard early, but I’m putting my eggs in the Thuney and Elflein basket.  Also, all season long I have been dreaming of finally drafting a 1st round WR and my opinion is continuing to shy away from that.  Mims looks really good, we will have a shot at a Free Agent and Crowder is Crowder.  I think grabbing someone in the 1st becomes overkill and it’s going to be hard to spread the ball around.  That’s why I would rather become a little more balanced and grab a stud TE. Then in the 3rd or 4th grab a burner that can stretch the field.  Honestly I think Cager was ready to contribute if he didn’t get hurt. Should a UDFA on IR prevent us from drafting a WR, of course not.  But I think the type of WR necessary is a Toney or Atwell.  I’m still unsure about drafting a RB high.  Again, if Fournette/veteran comes in and both Perine and Johnson are healthy I just don’t see enough snaps to take someone early and waste a year or two.  I’d rather wait until 2021 to see what our offense is then jump on one.  
Rushing Yards/Game (passing yards/game)
Baltimore (32)
Cleveland (26)
NE (30)
Arizona (19)
Tennessee (18)
Minnesota (16)
New Orleans (21)
I know some of these are top 10 offenses however, none of them have a QB like Lawrence.  We need to treat him like Rodgers, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Watson, Dak and let him be the offense.  Our QB and passing game is going to be our identity. This isn’t Darnold or Jones or someone who we have to baby along.  

I have also changed my tune on defense.  Originally I wanted to ignore and add as much young offensive talent as possible but now I want a full shift including spending a high pick at DE.  With the defense we need a starter at End and we need some role players.  Guys who are rangy and can cover the middle of the field.  I foresee some flack for Stevens but if you can cover Kyle Pitts then you are doing something right.  Think of him as a better version of Mark Barron.  Especially if we are running a 4-2.  He’s big enough to be a 3rd LB, he can blitz off the edge or up the middle like a LB, and he’s rangy enough to cover.  We can’t fix everything in one offseason, especially when you are 0-16, so this is what I would choose to hit and I think it covers our weaknesses.  The key is we have a leader at coach who will bring in his own staff and we have an identity on offense.

QB: Lawrence, 
RB: Fournette, Perine, Johnson, Stevenson
WR: Robinson, Cager
LT: Becton
LG: Thuney
😄 McGovern
RG: Elflein
RT: Fant
TE: Freirmuth, Herndon, Griffin
WR: Mims, Smith
Slot: Crowder, Berrios, Toney

DE: Jones II, Basham
DT: Q, JFM
DT: Foley, Shepherd
DE: Barrett, Zuniga, Huff
LB: Mosley, Stevens, Cashman, Hewitt, Snowden
CB: Hall, Jackson
S: Maye
S: Davis
CB: Darby, Austin
Slot: Poole, Graham Jr

• Like 3

I was not expecting a mock from you like this. I like it. I will offer my opinions on a couple of the moves. 
1. In FA, either Thuney or Linsey. Linsey is/was the top C in the league. 
2. TB has a lot of money and I believe they will resign Barrett. Maybe Dupree if he is healthy and not asking for $20+. I would rather we just draft Jones and forego a big time FA. But if we can get Barrett or Dupree for a reasonable deal, do it and really upgrade the pass rush. I am a little down on Judon. He had one really good year on a stud D. 
3. Getting Darby is nice as long as reasonable $. But we have not had a lot of luck with FA CB’s. Again, I prefer drafting one early. Hall is OK but I still have my doubts. I need to see another season from him. If we get Darby or another starting FA CB, we can wait to draft one next year. Hall, Darby or FA and Poole is not too bad especially if we upgrade the PR. Austin’s as the nickel/dime is OK. 
4. Completely agree that if we get Robinson we may wait until day 2 or 3 to draft a WR. Keep Perriman as long as we do not have to rely on him as a starter if $ is reasonable. He is a decent 4. Maybe draft Ross or Rogers for Lawrence in the 4th. 
5. I see your point on TE but not in round 1. I think with improved OL and QB play, the WR will be much more effective negating the need for a day one TE. I am still willing to give Herndon and Griffin another shot in our new O. 
6. Either Fournette or Gurley in FA. Forget a late day draft pick RB. We can get a day one or two in a year or two if necessary. 
7. I like Maye  and Davis ATM. Would not be upset with Stevens or even a true ILB. I wonder if Mosley will either retire or play like crap because his heart is not in it. I love Langi, but would not mind a young backup.

In short, get Humphrey or another top C instead of TE.  Forget top $ Pass rusher in FA. Keep Perriman. Get a Clemson WR in 4-7. Other than that, great job.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I was not expecting a mock from you like this. I like it. I will offer my opinions on a couple of the moves. 
1. In FA, either Thuney or Linsey. Linsey is/was the top C in the league. 

Fine with me
2. TB has a lot of money and I believe they will resign Barrett. Maybe Dupree if he is healthy and not asking for $20+. I would rather we just draft Jones and forego a big time FA. But if we can get Barrett or Dupree for a reasonable deal, do it and really upgrade the pass rush. I am a little down on Judon. He had one really good year on a stud D. 

Reading Barrett's comments, it sounds like he was willing to negotiate and Tampa wasn't so he will test FA.  I am ditching the 3-4 and don't want Dupree off an injury.
3. Getting Darby is nice as long as reasonable $. But we have not had a lot of luck with FA CB’s. Again, I prefer drafting one early. Hall is OK but I still have my doubts. I need to see another season from him. If we get Darby or another starting FA CB, we can wait to draft one next year. Hall, Darby or FA and Poole is not too bad especially if we upgrade the PR. Austin’s as the nickel/dime is OK. 

I think our scheme and lack of a pass rush is worse than our CB play.  I'm willing to forego a top line FA or pick.
4. Completely agree that if we get Robinson we may wait until day 2 or 3 to draft a WR. Keep Perriman as long as we do not have to rely on him as a starter if $ is reasonable. He is a decent 4. Maybe draft Ross or Rogers for Lawrence in the 4th. 

Not opposed to that but we lack a burner.
5. I see your point on TE but not in round 1. I think with improved OL and QB play, the WR will be much more effective negating the need for a day one TE. I am still willing to give Herndon and Griffin another shot in our new O. 

Going more of a BPA/spreading resources with Pat F.  He's in the mold of Kittle and Gronk and arguably a better route runner than whatever WR will be available.
6. Either Fournette or Gurley in FA. Forget a late day draft pick RB. We can get a day one or two in a year or two if necessary. 

Agreed
7. I like Maye  and Davis ATM. Would not be upset with Stevens or even a true ILB. I wonder if Mosley will either retire or play like crap because his heart is not in it. I love Langi, but would not mind a young backup.

With the way I have them changing the defense we need 4-3 LB

In short, get Humphrey or another top C instead of TE.  Forget top $ Pass rusher in FA. Keep Perriman. Get a Clemson WR in 4-7. Other than that, great job.

Give McGovern one more year and I drafted a BC C to develop.  Waste of money to get both Perriman and Robinson.  Then another WR, who wouldn't touch the field.

I am cool with all this. Do you mean burner TE? If so, Herndon has speed. If Pitts is there when we draft at the end of the first, then we HAVE to grab him. Pat is a good TE but I see him in the mold of a Gesicki. Good but not Kelsey or Kittles  good.

TB may resign Barrett because they are a legit team with Brady at QB. They will either keep him or he may ask for too much $. We have Huff, Zuniga and, hopefully, Jones. We should be OK at EDGE especially with our iDL. I like Dupree also but he will have to be medically cleared.

Don’t  we run a hybrid 3-4, 4-3? I am more a fan of the 4-3, but most teams tend to run that hybrid style.

The other WR would be an upside rookie that Lawrence is familiar with. Gives us a decent rookie to develop and play in 4WR sets. I like the Steelers method. Since WR is one of the more expensive positions to pay after the rookie contract is up, they just let them go and already have a replacement. Keeps cost low and production high. They tend to do the same at EDGE. It helps when you have a good QB that plays for 10+ years though. 

Well I think it’s another mock where on paper you could argue we’d challenge for the playoffs. We’ve all put together ideas and to be fair with the draft capital and huge cap room we have we absolutely must do everything possible to put a winning product on the field. Build through the draft of course but we must spend money wisely this year. 
Great draft and free agency! Had your top three picks in my draft too 🙌🏼

Having the cap space and draft picks makes it a tough year to speculate on our second 1st and 2nd round pick. QB at pick 1 or 2 is almost a foregone conclusion. After that, it will depend on what we do in FA. If we get a starting EDGE, WR, iOL or CB, we may bypass those picks until day 3. It will become clearer in March and April. 

Good stuff. Very well thought out and it's hard to argue with any of the justifications.

I don't expect that we'll be able to get Thuney, Robinson, and Barrett in one offseason, but I would absolutely love to. Every single game Robinson shows how good he is, and how much his situation sucks. We're not an upgrade now, but with Lawrence and a new coach I'd expect that we would be.

3 hours ago, TheChad said:

Good stuff. Very well thought out and it's hard to argue with any of the justifications.

I don't expect that we'll be able to get Thuney, Robinson, and Barrett in one offseason, but I would absolutely love to. Every single game Robinson shows how good he is, and how much his situation sucks. We're not an upgrade now, but with Lawrence and a new coach I'd expect that we would be.

I see this point. But just a couple years ago we landed Bell, Mosley and Barr until Barr backed out of our deal. Signing 3 big guys isn’t unrealistic 

• Like 1

Not a fan of this at all for several reason

1. I HATE using a high pick on a TE or RB. They should be picked up after the first pick in the third round. None of these TE or RB are worth it. These guys are going to be average to above average at best. You can find guys like this in FA or UDFA.

2. There is no way the Jets give up Darnold for a 3rd round pick. They did a poll and asked GM what they think about Sam and a lot of the still love this guy. They all said the Jets will get more than the Rosen trade which was a 2nd and 5th. The Jets will get at least a 2nd and 4th for him.

3. I think we can do better than Campbell as a HC. This job is probably the best HC job to have right now. You are getting a clean slate with tons of cap space, plenty of picks and the first pick and you are in a huge market. I think guys like Joe Brady, Lincoln Riley are at the top. They will jump on if the price is right. Brady is the guy for me. He has proven his worth in both college and NFL. I don't care how old he is. I think that is old school thinking. You take him and pair him with a good DC that has a tone of years in the NFL like Romeo Crennel would be great.

4. No way we sign that many guys in FA let alone the top ones. AR is not coming here or guys like Fournette and Barrett. I do think we will get one of Thuney or Scherff. One of those guys will be our big ticket and that is it. Then we will sign mid to low level guys that are young but this is going to be built through the draft.

5. I really doubt we sign anyone from out FA list. I think they are all gone. All these guys need to go and start fresh from Poole to Anderson. I don't see any point in keeping guys that have been with this losing team for several years. 

12 hours ago, ekill08x said:

This is a very vintage JFFL mock minus the pictures...well done as per usual. I love that this mock is different. 

I typed it all up in google docs and then tried adding pictures and it was taking too long.  I couldn't remember how to get my obligatory Todd Haley picture in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I typed it all up in google docs and then tried adding pictures and it was taking too long.  I couldn't remember how to get my obligatory Todd Haley picture in.

I remember me and you being big fans of Haley...I wanted to see him make Sanchez cry soooo bad. 

• Like 1