2K20: Game #13 - Kansas City at Miami

onejayhawk

12 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I keep looking for true mike LBers and I don’t find very many. If I do they don’t have the speed to for 3rd down. 

Might get lucky though never know 

Much like QB, if you want a good one.  95% of the time you’re going to have to take one a round early.  

Also should be noted,  the league as a whole...  doesn’t have a ton of LB’s that both beneficial in the run and pass game.  

6 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Don't forget that Mike LB. Hitchens is toast IMO

Our LB core in general needs upgrading. Hitchens is likely entering his final year with the team next year unless he extends to lower his cap hit. Even then, there's only maybe one or two guys that'd be a clear upgrade and we won't be in position to draft them -- mostly thinking Parsons.

8 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

and unless the Chiefs lose to the Chargers they hold the tie breaker as well. Thank you Bills!

I was checking on that. I think it comes down to record against common opponents, since we beat the Bills. Even if we lose to New Orleans this week, we still own the top seed. Atlanta and LA Chargers end the season. 

Wait a minute. Did we just win a December road game? What's with that? 

J

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've actually been fine with Hitch, Wilson, and Gay this year. Just need the confidence to be there in Gay to stop giving so many snaps to Niemann, IMO. In run D I'd rather add a DE across from Clark thats competent in that regard. Jones kind of us what he is there. But I dont think our LBs have been burnt as much as in years past. And honestly, our pass rush has been the bigger issue in pass D also. So honestly, sign me up for a DE before a LB, now.

I'm with you. Hitchens has some age issues, but he's getting the job done. Gay has a ton of physical tools. Even though he has not been quick to pick up the game at this level, you can tell he will be a good player. Wilson and Niemann are both decent. I would not turn down a Luke Kuechly if he fell in our laps, but this is not a priority area. It's better to invest in the DL and take what comes at LB. 

J

43 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I'm with you. Hitchens has some age issues, but he's getting the job done. Gay has a ton of physical tools. Even though he has not been quick to pick up the game at this level, you can tell he will be a good player. Wilson and Niemann are both decent. I would not turn down a Luke Kuechly if he fell in our laps, but this is not a priority area. It's better to invest in the DL and take what comes at LB. 

J

Invest in DL ... so who are you going to replace?

Jones ... probably not
Nnadi ... the one guy who gets rushers stopped?
Clark . on a big contract they can't get out of right now?

That leaves KPass ... at minimum servicable. Retain him on a new contract? Not sure considering the below.

Looking at depth:

Danna ... up and coming ... 
Wharton ... what a find ..
Saunders ... an afterthought with Wharton around ... but valuable depth.
Ward ... an unknown.

And ultimately ... some throw-ins:

Pennel, Okafor ... you can find guys like those year in year out. You may hit or not.

I think the Chiefs have 4, may be 5 starting caliber guys on the roster  ... so I don't see the need to look at DL early next year at all ... 

The DL needs to be eight deep because rotation is very important and injuries always happen. Okafor, TK, Taco, Pennel, and Ward are all on expiring contracts. Clark is in his second contract and will likely go elsewhere for his third. If we had not found Danna and Wharton, new blood would be an immediate necessity. As good as they have been, both have size/strength issues if overexposed. 

TK will likely get re-signed, but the depth is going to take a hit. Nowhere on the DL is a smoking crater, so we can look for upside over immediate return, but this an area to strongly consider in the early rounds. One playable piece and future starter would make a big difference. A startable player and future Pro-Bowler would be transformative. LB, in comparison, is easier to fix in FA. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

6 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Invest in DL ... so who are you going to replace?

Jones ... probably not
Nnadi ... the one guy who gets rushers stopped?
Clark . on a big contract they can't get out of right now?

That leaves KPass ... at minimum servicable. Retain him on a new contract? Not sure considering the below.

Looking at depth:

Danna ... up and coming ... 
Wharton ... what a find ..
Saunders ... an afterthought with Wharton around ... but valuable depth.
Ward ... an unknown.

And ultimately ... some throw-ins:

Pennel, Okafor ... you can find guys like those year in year out. You may hit or not.

I think the Chiefs have 4, may be 5 starting caliber guys on the roster  ... so I don't see the need to look at DL early next year at all ... 

I disagree emphatically that Kpass is serviceable. Forget where he was drafted, forget the athleticism, I know we want him to be serviceable, but the results say something very different. Edge rushes to the right side have been miserable for us. I can try to dig up graphics if I need to, but rushes to Clark's edge have been consistently shut down, the other side has been a huge problem. Kpass is listed at 9 missed tackles, so far, on 26 successful tackles, which just seems miserable, especially for a DL, to me.

Well hey, we put up with that at DT, where runs to Nnadi/Pennel are far less successful than runs at Jones, but Jones is an elite pass rusher. Kpass has 1 sack in 600+ defensive snaps. 4 hits. 4 pressures. That is atrocious. Kpass is not serviceable. Kpass panning out is a huge part of why our DL looks so much crappier than in past years. He would be who you replace, if you go DL anywhere early.

DT is fine, I would agree there. Jones/Nnadi/Wharton is enough, the 4th guy could be a resign or a new player, fine either way. Clark is obviously locked in, I like what I'm seeing in Danna, though not as a full-time guy. But if we come into next year expecting Kpass to be a full-time starter again, I will be incredibly disappointed.

• Like 1

I also disagree with serviceable, because TK is better than that.

There is good reason Kpassagnon is second after Clark in snaps. He's a complete player. He's best on run downs, setting the edge and jamming the LoS, but he has enough pass rush that he needs a full time block and often a chip. Okafor is a one dimensional pass rusher. Danna is better, but he doesn't have the strength on the edge.

I don't look for TK to get big bucks, but I do expect him to get a contract offer that reflects starter minutes.

J

On 12/14/2020 at 12:02 PM, Jakuvious said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've actually been fine with Hitch, Wilson, and Gay this year. Just need the confidence to be there in Gay to stop giving so many snaps to Niemann, IMO. In run D I'd rather add a DE across from Clark thats competent in that regard. Jones kind of us what he is there. But I dont think our LBs have been burnt as much as in years past. And honestly, our pass rush has been the bigger issue in pass D also. So honestly, sign me up for a DE before a LB, now.

AP has a review on Danna, he’s done very well against the run. Dudes got grown man strength, puts OL on skates lol

Edited by Chiefer

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

AP has a review on Danna, he’s done very well against the run. Dudes got grown man strength, puts OL on skates lol

The only thing I dont like there so far is I feel I've seen him beaten to the edge by some not super mobile QBs. Otherwise I've been impressed in run D and pass D.