Is Herbert a lock for OROY?

SteelKing728

33 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

2-9 record and 7.1 YPA. If that's a lock then the league has lost all perspective.

They lost their top RB for a stretch, their O-line is meh, and their D hasn't been particularly good. 

2-7 isn't an indictment on Herbert, and that's coming from someone who hated him at Oregon. 

It's OROY, not league MVP. 

• Like 3

Lol, no.  

He's having a very Philip Rivers-like season at most.  

And, why is his team last place in their division? He's thrown some costly picks. He has a lot to do with why they're so bad.  

He's going to be a Gardner Minshew fad that grows stale fast.  

Joe Burrow's far better.  

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Justin Herbert is having a fine season, and is set to break the rookie passing TD record. While the Chargers aren't any good overall, clearly Herbert isn't the problem.

This has absolutely nothing to do with it.  

Baker Mayfield broke the rookie TD record two years ago for the very reason that it's a QB driven league.  

Every rookie QB going forward will set the new record until we eventually get to a rookie QB who will throw 50 TDs.  

I don't think ROTY defaults to the best rookie QB as much as people think. Going back to 2000, there have been:

• 8 QB ROTY winners
  • 9 RBs
  • 3 WRs.

Yes, that may have to do with RBs often being quick to adjust to the NFL from college, but as RamblinMan99 noted, even Baker Mayfield's record-setting rookie season did not win him the ROTY award.

Give me Jefferson or Robinson, unless Hebert gets some game-winning drives to end the season.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's OROY, not league MVP. 

It seems as if a lot of people are forgetting this - both those that vote and posters on here.

The best rookie is Jefferson (or Robinson). It's a QB-centric league, so it'll be Herbert.

• Like 2

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I'm sure he was kidding.    I'd feel sorry for Murray, but the guy is such a good player his physical stature has proven to be totally irrelevant.  It would be like criticizing Elvis because he was a lousy painter.

I know. I was joking. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Jefferson

Robinson

Herbert

I've been saying all season that Robinson is really fun to watch.  I found out this weekend, however, that he is only fun to watch when he is tearing up the defense of a team I don't cheer for.   xD

He definitely deserves to be in the discussion.

• Like 1