Week 14 GDT - Washington Football Team at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

6 hours ago, rudyZ said:

We can probably find a 6th round receiver who will be better than Taylor. At this point, we're talking about a role player, not a gamebreaker. Plenty of young guys to take a chance on.

What I'd really love is a more dynamic guy with the ball in his hands. I look at other teams who have really threatening returners, who also offer something in the passing game. Trent was supposed to be a solid slot guy, but honestly, he hasn't been this year, and I hate to see him not-returning punts. I guess he'll be back, but on the bubble. Honestly, if the choice is between him and Richie James, he's already lost. We should also improve on James. 

I was hoping we’d take a shot on Peoples-Jones this last year. He was a sixth rounder that definitely could have exceeded Taylor’s production. 

It really comes down to us not drafting dudes with consistent ACL injury histories. Some of it 's luck for sure and I hate the phrase "Injury prone" because its thrown around way too much and isn't actually describing anything specific or really bring anything to a conversation...BUT when you're drafting guys who are injured or have major injuries in their past, the compensation their body has had to go through for that injury is not always clear. You just open yourself up to a litany of issues and our FO seems far too ok to entertain those complexities. 

23 minutes ago, John232 said:

It really comes down to us not drafting dudes with consistent ACL injury histories. Some of it 's luck for sure and I hate the phrase "Injury prone" because its thrown around way too much and isn't actually describing anything specific or really bring anything to a conversation...BUT when you're drafting guys who are injured or have major injuries in their past, the compensation their body has had to go through for that injury is not always clear. You just open yourself up to a litany of issues and our FO seems far too ok to entertain those complexities. 

giphy.gif

I mean I don't know the history of all these guys but of our recent guys the only one I can think of is Bosa had one in high school. Hurd, McKinnon, Jimmy, and Street never had a history of knee injuries from what I've been able to find. I know we drafted a few ACL guys in the Baalke days, but those were mostly just guys that failed because they had a tear coming in. Guys like Lattimore and Brandon Thomas who I don't think ever played for us. Obviously I haven't looked through the 22 ACLs, if there was a list of all the players it may be more revealing. 

33 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

giphy.gif

I mean I don't know the history of all these guys but of our recent guys the only one I can think of is Bosa had one in high school. Hurd, McKinnon, Jimmy, and Street never had a history of knee injuries from what I've been able to find. I know we drafted a few ACL guys in the Baalke days, but those were mostly just guys that failed because they had a tear coming in. Guys like Lattimore and Brandon Thomas who I don't think ever played for us. Obviously I haven't looked through the 22 ACLs, if there was a list of all the players it may be more revealing. 

Street torn his in a pre-draft workout for another team and we still selected him. He's the only one we've drafted recently. Ford has had knee issues since college and we chose to sign him to a huge extension AND forked over a 2nd rounder in a trade. Not the same as drafting him but might as well lump him in there.

Bosa has had injury history but I mean, he was just too good to pass up. ACL aren't usually a chronic thing so I look at those as one of those fluke type of injuries.  

Edited by 757-NINER

26 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'll still defend the Ford move. But it was insanely risky. I just think the risk paid off last year in a big way for us and now we've gotten the total opposite result of that this year. 

Yep, with him the defense was on a completely different level. That shows you though that you can't just rely on Bosa to fix all the issues next season. He's going to need a running mate even if he comes back 100% healthy. 

Are we looking at a 5th round compensation pick for Sanders? If we get a 5th for him and then a 3rd rounder for when Saleh gets hired, that gives us a decent amount of picks. Can use those picks to move up for a QB or can even move down in the 1st round to accumulate more picks and then move up for a certain player the FO likes in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

40 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, with him the defense was on a completely different level. That shows you though that you can't just rely on Bosa to fix all the issues next season. He's going to need a running mate even if he comes back 100% healthy. 

Are we looking at a 5th round compensation pick for Sanders? If we get a 5th for him and then a 3rd rounder for when Saleh gets hired, that gives us a decent amount of picks. Can use those picks to move up for a QB or can even move down in the 1st round to accumulate more picks and then move up for a certain player the FO likes in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

Yes, we should get a fifth for Manny

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I'll still defend the Ford move. But it was insanely risky. I just think the risk paid off last year in a big way for us and now we've gotten the total opposite result of that this year. 

I don't see it as paying off becasue he was hobbled even last year and was never 100%. He was paid like premier edge defender. 8 sacks over two seasons is not enough return imo. 

Bosa's presence as a rookie impacted the defense more so than Ford coming aboard imo. Ford was a situational pass-rusher pretty much. He was effective but we didn't pay for 'effective'...we paid for top tier.  

Edited by 757-NINER

30 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't see it as paying off becasue he was hobbled even last year and was never 100%. He was paid like premier edge defender. 8 sacks over two seasons is not enough return imo. 

Bosa's presence as a rookie impacted the defense more so than Ford coming aboard imo. Ford was a situational pass-rusher pretty much. He was effective but we didn't pay for 'effective'...we paid for top tier.  

I agree on Bosa on level of impact, but I Ford added a speed dynamic on the edge that is not only rare, but crucial for our defense and scheme. I think it was worth it. The level of pressure and havoc he creates is incredible. 

That said, it's time to move on, acquire capital to move up to get a QB or acquire more draft capital so we can start building a more sustainable foundation.