Higgins & Browns begin extension talk

buno67

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

If they extend Higgins, I'd say the chances of picking up Baker's 5th year option are about 98%.

I think the chances they are picking up bakers 5th year option are already near 100%.  We don't have any other options but to let him improve and grow with the team.

13 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

The WR room is super deep and it's nice to see they'll keep it going. Odell, Jarvis, Higgins, Hodge, Peoples-Jones and then Natson got hurt earlier in the year. I don't get the guys that want to draft another one. We've got far more pressing issues. 

For me it’s because we’re actually in a position to bring someone in and develop them at their speed.

We have like 9 picks and we aren’t going to keep 9 rookies on the defensive side of the ball.

We don’t need an immediate starter on the OL or at TE either, but I’d like to be able to continue to develop a ton of depth there and would live to see us snag someone in April.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And if Baker keeps balling, I can’t see OBJ coming back.

I think they have to have OBJ come back next year, and see if he has progressed with the offense if baker keeps balling out.

If OBJ isn't better with the offense, you look to trade him.  If he is, you could still look to trade him knowing we don't NEED him or keep him and really have a ton of talent.

The nice thing is as of right now we can afford to keep him, and if we decide to cut him lose or trade him there is zero dead money.

18 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I think they have to have OBJ come back next year, and see if he has progressed with the offense if baker keeps balling out.

If OBJ isn't better with the offense, you look to trade him.  If he is, you could still look to trade him knowing we don't NEED him or keep him and really have a ton of talent.

The nice thing is as of right now we can afford to keep him, and if we decide to cut him lose or trade him there is zero dead money.

I’m not sure how much he will have progressed with the offense while hurt.

Baker has been night and day difference without him. I’m not sure what more there is to see.

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And if Baker keeps balling, I can’t see OBJ coming back.

I think the decision will be made as a financial decision. I don't think he greatly improves the offense which means he probably has more value as trade bait and using his salary elsewhere but if we don't feel we need to do that then we can hang on to him.

What needs to happen is that Baker just sees the number when he is on the field. Don't worry about anything else. If Baker has been better since Beckham has been gone then that is on Baker. There is no need to force feed anyone. If they are unhappy and you can't control them then that is on the coaches to deal with. Winning (or an effective offense) has to come first.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For me it’s because we’re actually in a position to bring someone in and develop them at their speed.

We have like 9 picks and we aren’t going to keep 9 rookies on the defensive side of the ball.

We don’t need an immediate starter on the OL or at TE either, but I’d like to be able to continue to develop a ton of depth there and would live to see us snag someone in April.

Yes please can we start developing talent so we have depth. Please please please

I would love to have depth on both lines and in the secondary 

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think the decision will be made as a financial decision. I don't think he greatly improves the offense which means he probably has more value as trade bait and using his salary elsewhere but if we don't feel we need to do that then we can hang on to him.

What needs to happen is that Baker just sees the number when he is on the field. Don't worry about anything else. If Baker has been better since Beckham has been gone then that is on Baker. There is no need to force feed anyone. If they are unhappy and you can't control them then that is on the coaches to deal with. Winning (or an effective offense) has to come first.

I mean, you’re not wrong but it’s hard to tell one of the biggest stars in your sport to sit down and shut up without it causing an issue.

I don’t think ObJ is a huge problem or anything (minor one at times maybe), but he simply doesn’t make this team better and Baker is a lesser QB when he’s on the field. At some point you quit trying to find out why and just accept the facts and move on.

OBJ may still be a solid WR, but he’s not the 2014 guy any longer and I don’t think he’s gonna be better after an ACL injury. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, you’re not wrong but it’s hard to tell one of the biggest stars in your sport to sit down and shut up without it causing an issue.

I don’t think ObJ is a huge problem or anything (minor one at times maybe), but he simply doesn’t make this team better and Baker is a lesser QB when he’s on the field. At some point you quit trying to find out why and just accept the facts and move on.

OBJ may still be a solid WR, but he’s not the 2014 guy any longer and I don’t think he’s gonna be better after an ACL injury. 

Yeah OBJ will never be the old OBJ. That ship sailed before he arrived here, many were just hoping after a year of being back he would get that explosiveness back, it just didn't happen. He is still an okay #1 and a great 2 or slot guy.

He will still cause a minor stir, but it's up the the QB to not let that change what he does. With OBJ being a star and Baker being young I understand why he spent too much time trying to find him open or trying to have OBJ make a play. It has to change though. If Baker falls into the same trap then we trade OBJ during the season. That is if we don't make a move prior to. We may feel we can get better by moving him this offseason, we'll find out.