Playoff Picture

soflbillsfan

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think we can beat anyone as well. But I also think McDermott has a huge decision coming up. Rest starters in week 17 or play for the 2nd seed? There are merits to both. 

No we play for the 2 seed. Our kickers were selected for bad weather, Allen with his size, arm, scrambling combo. We want 2 home playoff games. 

If were comfortable, maybe rest our starters 2nd half week 17 but we head into playoffs full throttle.

I trust McD will be responsible with key guys like Smoke, Milano, Hughes etc 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Well you can do both in a sense. Just go out there and smack the Dolphins hard in the 1st half then rest them in the 2nd half. In all seriousness I would push for the 2 seed over rest. Certain guys would need to be on a snap count such as John Brown, and Matt Milano as they run risk of being reinjured but you cant sit back and possibly rest players if 2nd seed is a possiblity. Do not forget if titans win against GB it will not only be about 2nd seed a loss to Miami could result in a 4th seed do we want to settle for that? 

You’re right, the Titans game next Sunday night could have a huge barring on whether we go for the 2nd seed or not.

41 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

No we play for the 2 seed. Our kickers were selected for bad weather, Allen with his size, arm, scrambling combo. We want 2 home playoff games. 

If were comfortable, maybe rest our starters 2nd half week 17 but we head into playoffs full throttle.

I trust McD will be responsible with key guys like Smoke, Milano, Hughes etc 

I think there’s a good chance Pittsburgh is one and done anyway so getting the 3rd seed would still result in us having two home games.

All I know is, if we’re locked into the 3rd seed at worst and we lose a guy like Allen or Diggs in week 17 fighting for 2nd, people will eat McDermott alive. 

I think it’s definitely a conversation happening behind close doors.

26 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think there’s a good chance Pittsburgh is one and done anyway so getting the 3rd seed would still result in us having two home games.

All I know is, if we’re locked into the 3rd seed at worst and we lose a guy like Allen or Diggs in week 17 fighting for 2nd, people will eat McDermott alive. 

I think it’s definitely a conversation happening behind close doors.

We will see this week it all depends on what the Titans do. If they beat Gb then we have to go in and play Miami. Injuries happen all the time, heck you rest a player in Allen or Diggs and the 1st playoff game he gets injured in the first minute or during a practice things like that happen you just hope they stay healthy at all times. Week 16 lets say the bills win, Pitt wins, Dolphins win, Titans lose, Ravens win, and cleveland wins. You have bills at 3 playing miami in the playoffs. Now you look at week 17 where bills are 2 games ahead of the titans. You rest the bills players so dolphins win, Ravens win, Titans win, Browns lose. The playoff picture would mean Kc Bye, 2 Steeler vs 7 Browns, 3 Bills vs 6 Ravens, 4 titans vs 5 Miami. Now lets say you play the game and beat Miami. Kc Bye, 2 steelers vs 7 colts, 3 bills vs 6 Browns, 4 titans vs 5 Ravens. Finally you beat miami and steelers lose to browns week 17, now bills are 2nd seed and facing the 7th seed colts, 3 steelers vs 6 ravens, and 4 titans vs 5 browns. So in this scenario come week 17 where Titans already lost to GB the decision would be landing  the #2 seed based on steelers losing to browns and bills beating phins or resting bills whether or not the outcome of the steelers. So you face a Ravens team if you rest or you face a browns team if you win but the steelers win out or you face a colts if bills win and steelers lose. My opinion I would go Colts, Browns, Ravens easiest to hardest.

Would things change if Bills win MNF and both Steelers and Titans lose meaning you already have 2 locked up if you win without needing any help would you still rest against Miami?

1 minute ago, soflbillsfan said:

Would things change if Bills win MNF and both Steelers and Titans lose meaning you already have 2 locked up if you win without needing any help would you still rest against Miami?

I'm okay with Josh or someone getting injured in practice or 1st minute of a playoff game because it's meaningful. If a game isn't meaningful, guys shouldn't play. 

As for this question, if the Steelers lose tonight, and next week the Bills can clinch the 2nd seed with a win over New England (also need Cleveland to beat Jets in this scenario).

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

I'm okay with Josh or someone getting injured in practice or 1st minute of a playoff game because it's meaningful. If a game isn't meaningful, guys shouldn't play. 

As for this question, if the Steelers lose tonight, and next week the Bills can clinch the 2nd seed with a win over New England (also need Cleveland to beat Jets in this scenario).

If the steelers lose to the 3rd string qb on a Cincy team then they do not need to be in the playoffs. I think every game at this point is meaningful if you are looking at seeding. While last year 2 had a bye that would be more of an incentive and now this year they dont it is based on having a 2nd home game or not. I just think the best way to chose your fate is by making it yourself not counting on other teams to be 1 and done in the playoffs. As I mentioned before if resting to save up for a playoff and it allows the Dolphins to get in because of it and then have to play them at some point the jokes would be endless if they lost to them in the playoffs. It is a tough decision to make but I just dont think you sit back and rest until you are holding that lombardi trophy in the air or if you are planing for next season. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

If the steelers lose to the 3rd string qb on a Cincy team then they do not need to be in the playoffs. I think every game at this point is meaningful if you are looking at seeding. While last year 2 had a bye that would be more of an incentive and now this year they dont it is based on having a 2nd home game or not. I just think the best way to chose your fate is by making it yourself not counting on other teams to be 1 and done in the playoffs. As I mentioned before if resting to save up for a playoff and it allows the Dolphins to get in because of it and then have to play them at some point the jokes would be endless if they lost to them in the playoffs. It is a tough decision to make but I just dont think you sit back and rest until you are holding that lombardi trophy in the air or if you are planing for next season. 

Conversely, if we beat Miami to keep them out and let Baltimore in, who then turns around and beats us, we would never hear the end of it. 

Judging by McDermotts comments today, I think it's all moot anyway. He wants that 2nd seed and to keep rolling into the playoffs. 

21 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

If this Bengal lead holds, the Bills would need 3 things to happen in week 16 to lock up the 2nd seed.

Indy over Pitt
GB over Tennessee
Buffalo over NE

This would mean at worst Buffalo finishes 12-4. Titans at best would be 11-5.

A Cleveland win over the Jets also helps in case the Titans win. 

yea I am not going to lie this game is throwing me for a loop in a good way. I did not see this struggle happen I figured they would bounce back from last week but I guess not. They may fall farther if they dont clean up their act. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

yea I am not going to lie this game is throwing me for a loop in a good way. I did not see this struggle happen I figured they would bounce back from last week but I guess not. They may fall farther if they dont clean up their act. 

I haven't found a way for them to fall to the 7th seed but that would have been amazing to play them again lol

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

If this Bengal lead holds, the Bills would need 3 things to happen in week 16 to lock up the 2nd seed.

Indy over Pitt
GB over Tennessee
Buffalo over NE

This would mean at worst Buffalo finishes 12-4. Titans at best would be 11-5.

A Cleveland win over the Jets also helps in case the Titans win. 

It be nice heading into MNF knowing a win locks up the 2 seed. 

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

I just desperately want to avoid the Ravens they feel like a team that's poised to really go on a surprise run here. The Browns or the Steelers, that's who I want.

I don’t think the Ravens offense can keep up with ours. We kept Lamars running in check last year and had one breakdown in coverage which led to a long TD. They are a dangerous team. But I like our chances.