2021 Defensive Coordinator Candidates

incognito_man

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

As for DC candidates, don't forget the coaches who will be gone at the end of the year (or already have been fired):

Dan Quinn

Anthony Weaver

Romeo Crennel

Jeff Ulbrich

Gus Bradley (maybe)

Jim Schwartz (maybe)

Matt Patricia

Chuck Pagano (possibly)

Ulbrich has done a great job with the defense in Atlanta. 

Before Ulbrich took over: 32.2 PPG

Since he took over: 20.1 PPG.

If the Falcons had an Ulbrich defense the first 5 games, they're closer to a 7-6 team right now.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You can do worse. The frustrating part with Wade is that when his defense doesn't work, you're in for a long day. He just doesn't do much to adjust. That'll happen a few times each year. McVay parted with him because he wanted a DC who would adjust his scheme for the opponent.

Novel idea 

43 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Ben is pretty locked in with his sources 

I'm all for Wade. He has a proven track record and has led some elite D's. I know he fizzled out in his last gig but he would still be an enormous upgrade over the DC's we've had the past 18 or so years. We're chatting about it in the Raiders forum but a switch to a 3-4 wouldn't be the end of the world. We don't have a whole lot of talent in the front 7 but I think Ferrell would be ok at DE, Hankins at DT (if brought back), Crosby may only be a rotational pass-rusher in that scheme, Littleton and Kwiat could survive in the right role.

He's old af at 74 so again wouldn't be a long-term solution but perhaps he'd be enough to field a middle of the pack D for a couple seasons. If we had even an average D this season we'd be comfortably in a playoff spot.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

You can do worse. The frustrating part with Wade is that when his defense doesn't work, you're in for a long day. He just doesn't do much to adjust. That'll happen a few times each year. McVay parted with him because he wanted a DC who would adjust his scheme for the opponent.

Hey man we haven't made a defensive adjustment since the early 2000's. We won't be picky we just need to improve. BTW How do you think Littleton would do in a 3-4? He's been brutal for us but PG has put every player on our D in horrible positions. 

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hey man we haven't made a defensive adjustment since the early 2000's. We won't be picky we just need to improve. BTW How do you think Littleton would do in a 3-4? He's been brutal for us but PG has put every player on our D in horrible positions. 

Well, Littleton had his best years as a 3-4 ILB in Wade's scheme.

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm all for Wade. He has a proven track record and has led some elite D's. I know he fizzled out in his last gig but he would still be an enormous upgrade over the DC's we've had the past 18 or so years. We're chatting about it in the Raiders forum but a switch to a 3-4 wouldn't be the end of the world. We don't have a whole lot of talent in the front 7 but I think Ferrell would be ok at DE, Hankins at DT (if brought back), Crosby may only be a rotational pass-rusher in that scheme, Littleton and Kwiat could survive in the right role.

He's old af at 74 so again wouldn't be a long-term solution but perhaps he'd be enough to field a middle of the pack D for a couple seasons. If we had even an average D this season we'd be comfortably in a playoff spot.

Keep in mind that Wade doesn't use a traditional NT. My guess is that Hankins and Hurst would battle for the spot. You're right that Ferrell would likely be the 4/5-Tech. Crosby would likely be the WOLB (9T). 

• Like 1

I know his track record is very mixed as a DC, but Cardinals LB coach Bill Davis has done a great job developing guys and has a lot of experience. I mean, our LBs were probably the weakest part of the team a few years ago, but he's done an excellent job of developing guys who had struggled under other coaches (like Haason Reddick).

Has also done a really nice job with the unit as a whole. I mean, you look at our LBs and you have a ton of guys who are playing really well. DeVondre Campbell, Jordan Hicks, Haason Reddick, Dennis Gardeck, Devon Kennard, Isaiah Simmons, Markus Golden, Tanner Vallejo, and Kylie Fitts are all making plays whenever they're on the field, and we're able to run formations with a ton of LBs and no DL and it's actually having some success. 

Davis had some decent defenses as a DC under Whisenhunt with the Cardinals. I mean, his first season they were top-10 in some categories, and average overall. His second season, the defense was awful, but they also were dealing with the second-worst average starting field position in the league. His defenses were unimpressive under the Chip Kelly Eagles, but then again, those were the Chip Kelly Eagles. He hasn't been a coordinator since 2015, but he continues to be very well-regarded around most organizations, as he's only been fired once in 25 years.

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm all for Wade. He has a proven track record and has led some elite D's. I know he fizzled out in his last gig but he would still be an enormous upgrade over the DC's we've had the past 18 or so years.

They all do

The NFL DC story:
Gets hired, top players added, defense kicks butt...too expensive to keep all good players, now DC sucks, gets fired.
You can put Wade Phillips or Vic Fangio's name in there and several others. That's the lifecycle of a talented NFL DC.

And it keeps getting harder -  because the NFL keeps making new rules to help the offense -> to attract more casuals and FF players
It ain't easy being a DC in the $$$ era.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

They all do

The NFL DC story:
Gets hired, top players added, defense kicks butt...too expensive to keep all good players, now DC sucks, gets fired.
You can put Wade Phillips or Vic Fangio's name in there and several others. That's the lifecycle of a talented NFL DC.

And it keeps getting harder -  because the NFL keeps making new rules to help the offense -> to attract more casuals and FF players
It ain't easy being a DC in the $$$ era.

I wouldn't even say Wade fizzled with the Rams. He was simply average his entire time there. You can do worse than that.