Jump to content

Kyle Smith


Recommended Posts

I was reading Ben Standigs article a bit ago about how Kyle Smith will probably have to leave the organization to get the title of GM because Ron Rivera is effectively the GM. This is why it’s hard for me to get excited about the current dynamic knowing in the back of my mind we’re going to allow, yet again, another talented young mind to walk away. Schneider, McVay, LaFleur, hell even Trent Baalke was here to a lesser extent.
 

Also, he said to keep an eye on Marty Hurney which just absolutely infuriates me. If we allow Smith to walk away so Rivera can hire all of his buddies then nothing has changed and nothing short of Snyder being forced to sell will fix this. Losing Kyle Smith can’t happen. It’s imperative to this teams future that he be here. His drafting has set us on the right path and apparently he was very involved in the free agent class. I really hope they do the right thing here but I’m expecting we’ll botch this foo. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I was reading Ben Standigs article a bit ago about how Kyle Smith will probably have to leave the organization to get the title of GM because Ron Rivera is effectively the GM. This is why it’s hard for me to get excited about the current dynamic knowing in the back of my mind we’re going to allow, yet again, another talented young mind to walk away. Schneider, McVay, LaFleur, hell even Trent Baalke was here to a lesser extent.
 

Also, he said to keep an eye on Marty Hurney which just absolutely infuriates me. If we allow Smith to walk away so Rivera can hire all of his buddies then nothing has changed and nothing short of Snyder being forced to sell will fix this. Losing Kyle Smith can’t happen. It’s imperative to this teams future that he be here. His drafting has set us on the right path and apparently he was very involved in the free agent class. I really hope they do the right thing here but I’m expecting we’ll botch this foo. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I told everyone here that there was a clear pattern that happened in Carolina, and that the main factor was Ron Rivera.  I was told "he wasn't the GM, he didn't have the authority."  They had Hurney Part 1, Dave Gettleman and then Hurney Part 2, and the constant was Ron Rivera, and we had clear patterns of roster building and decision-making despite having three GMs during that time period. 

Well get ready guys, because if Kyle Smith is out, and Hurney is in, then our journey towards being the Washington Panthers will be complete.  We'll likely trade them a first round pick for their name as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, to the guys who are going to say titles don't matter, let me add a quote from the movie Kingdom of Heaven.  

So what is a title worth?  Nothing........and everything.  

We all have a desire to be at the top of our profession.  I imagine that Kyle Smith, being the son of a well-known and highly respected GM, has that same desire.  Even if you have a cool sounding title like Executive or Senior Vice President, if you aren't the guy with the title, in charge of making the decisions, it doesn't matter.  This is why we can talk all we want about there being a collaborative effort, but in the end, someone has to make a decision, and what happens when there is a deadlock?  Who makes the decision?  That person is ultimately the one holding the authority, and I bet it isn't Kyle Smith. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Losing Kyle Smith for a Carolina crony would be really disappointing.  One of the things I disliked about Bruce Allen days was that he just remade tampa bay.  Diversity of opinions is important.  Different people with new ideas is how you grow.

 

Edited by offbyone
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

How about we whine about this if it actually happens.  Right now I’m enthusiastic about the direction of this team.

I agree here, but I also am with Lavar that Kyle Smith should’ve already gotten the job, he’s earned it over the last 5 years.
 

Where does Ron think all this young talent came from that he inherited in DC and has helped mold this year? It’s there bc of Kyle Smith. Kyle also had good calls on guys like Logan Thomas’s, Darby’s, McKissic’s, Lucas’ & Scherweitzer  in FA.

Kyle Smith should already be our GM and the fact that he isn’t is a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

How about we whine about this if it actually happens.  Right now I’m enthusiastic about the direction of this team.

I mean, it’s a discussion that can be had. It’s silly to not just give him the title at this point. Why risk losing him over something trivial? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, it’s a discussion that can be had. It’s silly to not just give him the title at this point. Why risk losing him over something trivial? 

I think we both know he doesn't want a title he wants the authority to run an entire organization.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I think we both know he doesn't want a title he wants the authority to run an entire organization.  

I think you hit on the issue here.  It isn't that he didn't get the job, but rather there is no GM job.  Title withstanding, I believe Kyle Smith has the closest job to GM that the current structure offers.  Nevertheless, if Kyle Smith wants to leave, I would still be very displeased if Rivera brings in another Carolina crony.  We need different perspectives in the organization.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @MKnight82 & @offbyone Kyle isn’t going to get the control over the roster he is ultimately seeking in DC bc Snyder gave that to Rivera in order for Rivera to come here over other teams. 
 

So whether or not Kyle was given the Gm title doesn’t matter, it wouldn’t change his place in the organization.

We don’t have a true GM in DC and that’s because that’s the structure that Snyder has built so he could get the coach he wanted. The only time we had a true GM since Casserly was when we had McCloughan and that only lasted 2 seasons for multiple mistakes that both he made & Allen’s power trip which drove him out and Snyder went with Bruce Allen over McCloughan just like he went with Allen over Shanahan and that was the wrong decision in both instances despite McClougah and Shanahan’s mistakes, they were still better options than Bruce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I agree with @MKnight82 & @offbyone Kyle isn’t going to get the control over the roster he is ultimately seeking in DC bc Snyder gave that to Rivera in order for Rivera to come here over other teams. 
 

So whether or not Kyle was given the Gm title doesn’t matter, it wouldn’t change his place in the organization.

We don’t have a true GM in DC and that’s because that’s the structure that Snyder has built so he could get the coach he wanted. The only time we had a true GM since Casserly was when we had McCloughan and that only lasted 2 seasons for multiple mistakes that both he made & Allen’s power trip which drove him out and Snyder went with Bruce Allen over McCloughan just like he went with Allen over Shanahan and that was the wrong decision in both instances despite McClougah and Shanahan’s mistakes, they were still better options than Bruce.

If that’s the case then nothing has changed. How many times can we try the coach-centric philosophy, have it fail and then just do it again a few years later. Letting Smith leave will be a huge mistake. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If that’s the case then nothing has changed. How many times can we try the coach-centric philosophy, have it fail and then just do it again a few years later. Letting Smith leave will be a huge mistake. 

I’m 100% with you on all of it, but we can’t change it. The only way it will change is when Snyder dies and whoever takes over - whether that’s his wife, son or if the team is sold - does things differently bc since Snyder fired Casserly in 1999/2000 he’s been reluctant to have a true GM making decisions between him and his HC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I agree with @MKnight82 & @offbyone Kyle isn’t going to get the control over the roster he is ultimately seeking in DC bc Snyder gave that to Rivera in order for Rivera to come here over other teams. 
 

So whether or not Kyle was given the Gm title doesn’t matter, it wouldn’t change his place in the organization.

We don’t have a true GM in DC and that’s because that’s the structure that Snyder has built so he could get the coach he wanted. The only time we had a true GM since Casserly was when we had McCloughan and that only lasted 2 seasons for multiple mistakes that both he made & Allen’s power trip which drove him out and Snyder went with Bruce Allen over McCloughan just like he went with Allen over Shanahan and that was the wrong decision in both instances despite McClougah and Shanahan’s mistakes, they were still better options than Bruce.

I actually think the only true GM we have had is Bruce Allen.  He might not have had the title but he had the power.  He signed players without approval of the coach.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...