Kyle Smith

lavar703

I’m just wondering why people are acting like Martin Mayhew has done nothing. Last time I checked the 49ers were in the Super Bowl last year & Mayhew is a senior executive in their front office who had some role in the 49ers success. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/4574131002

But they [the Lions] made the playoffs three years after going 0-16, and twice in Mayhew’s six full seasons, and had arguably the best offensive and separately defensive seasons in modern franchise history under his watch.

In 2011, the Lions scored a franchise record 474 points on their way to 10 wins and a wildcard berth. Matthew Stafford, Mayhew’s first ever draft pick as GM, set franchise records in nearly every passing category, and Calvin Johnson started the best three-year stretch for a receiver in NFL history (later to be topped by Antonio Brown).

In 2014, led by one of the NFL's best defenses, the Lions went 11-5 and came a fourth-quarter collapse — amplified by a picked-up penalty flag — away from winning a playoff game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I’m just wondering why people are acting like Martin Mayhew has done nothing. Last time I checked the 49ers were in the Super Bowl last year & Mayhew is a senior executive in their front office who had some role in the 49ers success. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/4574131002

It isn’t anything personal to outside candidates but the truth is we’re about to hire an outside person for a job we have a guy who’s earned it and that’s been a thing that’s hindered things here previously with bright people we let walk for a retread. The problem probably isn’t this year losing Kyle I don’t fear that this year. But year 3 under Ron when were killing it with a deep roster and Ron has his buddy in a position that guy isn’t going to sit in for the next regime and we allow Kyle to go get his shot and when Ron walks away we’re screwed. This could be the beginning of a long uptick of roster and potential additions and a man with vision and we will lose him to make one persons comfort level where he wants it when he’s here max 6 years IMO

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

It isn’t anything personal to outside candidates but the truth is we’re about to hire an outside person for a job we have a guy who’s earned it and that’s been a thing that’s hindered things here previously with bright people we let walk for a retread. The problem probably isn’t this year losing Kyle I don’t fear that this year. But year 3 under Ron when were killing it with a deep roster and Ron has his buddy in a position that guy isn’t going to sit in for the next regime and we allow Kyle to go get his shot and when Ron walks away we’re screwed. This could be the beginning of a long uptick of roster and potential additions and a man with vision and we will lose him to make one persons comfort level where he wants it when he’s here max 6 years IMO

I entirely understand your position, I don’t think others feel the same way you and I do about it. We just want Kyle to get the job bc we feel he’s the best candidate. Other posters seem to be finding more and more ways to not want other candidates beyond just saying why we should just promote Kyle.

I’m just saying I see nothing wrong with Mayhew’s resume and he’s a former Washington Redskin too.

• Like 1

The fact that nobody has requested a interview I think tells me that while clearly he’s a top flight talent evaluator I think Ron wanting time bring in a senior type GM is probably more in the sense of grooming Kyle to keep his duties but also work in hand on the financial to get the sense of all the various languages that come into the GM and contract duties because there is so much language and work that go into these books/ contracts. I trust Ron to do what’s best for the team. I do believe if another team was pushing to sign Smith he’d promote him and bring in a guy he doesn’t have to worry about being poached to work with him on the financial aspects. I know this topic has been like so many other doom and gloom topics but I think Kyle Smith has a long bright future with this team. I personally believe he is apart of SB titles on this staff and I trust Ron who is in this fraternity to have a better feel on this matter then most of us. So Hopefully Ron takes a week or two to really go cherish some off time wind down with his family and Kyle is hopefully hard at work doing Kyle Smith scouting things and they can start to gameplan their offseason very soon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

A shame RR couldn’t make it work. 

Ron didn’t trust Kyle for whatever reason. Some think he was a leaker to the media & an unnamed source for most beat & national reporters. One guy on Twitter said - I know Twitter, but still - that Kyle was the one who leaked to the media that Dan Snyder came into the draft room on draft nigh and told everyone “we’re taking Dwayne Haskins.” Kyle & Jay didn’t agree but Dan owns the team so that’s who we took.