Kyle Smith

lavar703

6 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I was far more infuriated with his time/clock management as a head coach. Worst time management I have really ever seen from any of our coaches. No adjustments either. He seemed resigned to "the game plan will either work or we will keep trying to force it to work."

I don't think I will ever look back at his tenure and think he was a good head coach or that he had/has potential to be a good HC. 

It seems to be a Washington Football disease. Norv sucked at time management, Gibbs sucked at it, Zorn Sucked at it, Shanahan had his issues, Jay sucked & Ron sucked at it last year.

Funny about the adjustments. I remember at one point thinking this year if we could combine Jay Gruden’s first halves & Rivera’s second halves that we’d be undefeated! 😂 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

It's all excuses in the end.  He was the head coach for 6 years and only had one winning season and the same problems for 6 years- defense and running game.  A head coach is responsible for the whole team, offense, defense, teams, etc.  He failed.  You certainly don't hear about him being talked up for another HC opportunity which says it all to me.

Yeah man, he failed. I agree. I’m not saying he was going to be a success and I pretty much blamed him for his failures by his terrible DC hires. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

It's all excuses in the end.  He was the head coach for 6 years and only had one winning season and the same problems for 6 years- defense and running game.  A head coach is responsible for the whole team, offense, defense, teams, etc.  He failed.  You certainly don't hear about him being talked up for another HC opportunity which says it all to me.

If he actually hired someone who would improve the defense versus his buddies, it might be a different story.  

If he goes into his next head coach interview and acknowledges this fact, as well as taking a step back from playcalling and gameplanning the offense (because our best year came when McVay did all of that), then Gruden could get another job.  He's got a very good offensive mind, but just like Spurrier, that only gets you so far.  As you said, the head coach is responsible for the whole team, and it's clear that Gruden neglected a big portion of things while here.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If he actually hired someone who would improve the defense versus his buddies, it might be a different story.  

If he goes into his next head coach interview and acknowledges this fact, as well as taking a step back from playcalling and gameplanning the offense (because our best year came when McVay did all of that), then Gruden could get another job.  He's got a very good offensive mind, but just like Spurrier, that only gets you so far.  As you said, the head coach is responsible for the whole team, and it's clear that Gruden neglected a big portion of things while here.  

This!!! This is exactly what I feel Gruden needs to do he is probably one of the better talent evaluators as a coach. If he would be willing to admit his faults and pair himself with a actual HC level DC and work together with them and make adjustments to his schemes and gameplan he could have NFL success

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Agreed.  He needs to demonstrate that he learned.  But his constant shots at WFT front office isn't helping me believe he recognizes that he is part of the problem.

Maybe he would be smart to go take a job under a disciplinarian head coach to learn how to manage a team in a less camp jay fashion.

20 hours ago, offbyone said:

Agreed.  He needs to demonstrate that he learned.  But his constant shots at WFT front office isn't helping me believe he recognizes that he is part of the problem.

Maybe he would be smart to go take a job under a disciplinarian head coach to learn how to manage a team in a less camp jay fashion.

I'm at least appreciating him bringing to light what we've all suspected, but haven't been able to prove all along.  

I absolutely 110% agree with teh second point.  

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. Hard to get a promotion when you've been sidelined at your current job and the new job knows that you just want out.

I don't blame him. I'd have taken the lateral move too to get out of here.

I would have too I feel Like Ron maybe actually wanted Hurney to groom Smith and Snyder wasn’t having it. That’s why Snyder said hire Mayhew. And then Ron tried to do damage control and up Smith’s salary but Kyle could see the writing on the wall and chose to move on. Ron didn’t seem to thrilled to talk about Smith I feel like he actually valued Smith but he knew hiring Mayhew wasn’t maybe his first choice but he ultimately still gets paid by Snyder so he did the move because Mayhew is a good college scout but I think this was the first of probably more Snyder meddling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I would have too I feel Like Ron maybe actually wanted Hurney to groom Smith and Snyder wasn’t having it. That’s why Snyder said hire Mayhew. And then Ron tried to do damage control and up Smith’s salary but Kyle could see the writing on the wall and chose to move on. Ron didn’t seem to thrilled to talk about Smith I feel like he actually valued Smith but he knew hiring Mayhew wasn’t maybe his first choice but he ultimately still gets paid by Snyder so he did the move because Mayhew is a good college scout but I think this was the first of probably more Snyder meddling.

I think it was very much Ron. If Snyder didn’t want/like Kyle, he could easily have forced him out when Bruce left. He didn’t do that. 

Ron made various comments throughout the year, at loosely with regard to Kyle, about the importance of everyone “being on the same page.” It was pretty clearly implied, to me at least, that they didn’t exactly see eye to eye. 

If Kyle is anything like his dad, and I suspect that he is, he’s not the easiest guy to work with. A.J. Smith was aggressive and outspoken and had a big ego, and he rubbed most people the wrong way. Based on the story about them drafting Haskins, and Kyle basically losing his **** on the entire draft room (including the owner, apparently), I suspect he may have some of the same traits. 

In my view, he’d have to be an A-class jackass to warrant cutting him loose and losing his drafting capabilities. And I don’t think that’s the case. I think Rivera just wants people in place under him that will fall in line, and perhaps will be less likely to flex the fact that their evaluation capabilities exceed his own. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think it was very much Ron. If Snyder didn’t want/like Kyle, he could easily have forced him out when Bruce left. He didn’t do that. 

Ron made various comments throughout the year, at loosely with regard to Kyle, about the importance of everyone “being on the same page.” It was pretty clearly implied, to me at least, that they didn’t exactly see eye to eye. 

If Kyle is anything like his dad, and I suspect that he is, he’s not the easiest guy to work with. A.J. Smith was aggressive and outspoken and had a big ego, and he rubbed most people the wrong way. Based on the story about them drafting Haskins, and Kyle basically losing his **** on the entire draft room (including the owner, apparently), I suspect he may have some of the same traits. 

In my view, he’d have to be an A-class jackass to warrant cutting him loose and losing his drafting capabilities. And I don’t think that’s the case. I think Rivera just wants people in place under him that will fall in line, and perhaps will be less likely to flex the fact that their evaluation capabilities exceed his own. 

I see that side too I’ve mentioned before that if Kyle is like his dad then he is probably single focused more towards one vision and not faltering to changing it no matter what else is out there. Great post E I def see that too I could see either side honestly. And I mean we all have parental traits so logically that makes a ton of sense as well. Ultimately I think we can all agree that we hope this combo of guys can continue the vision and finish this build the best way to give us the best chance. At this point whats done is done I truely wish Kyle the best but ultimately I want to see this trio here and our scouting dept to knock this offseason and especially the draft and most importantly the QB position the best way possible not just for this year but going forward. Hopefully we see the fruits of these decisions. Hopefully for every choice we support we’re proven right and for the tough ones we question we’re proven with reward because ultimately we all want that one thing I believe this staff is trying to get too.

• Like 1