Kyle Smith

lavar703

19 hours ago, offbyone said:

I actually think the only true GM we have had is Bruce Allen.  He might not have had the title but he had the power.  He signed players without approval of the coach.  

Bruce was a true GM after Shanahan & after McCloughan I guess, that’s true. Shanahan had more power than Allen though when they were both here, Allen won the war for total power though w/ Snyder bc he was a yes man and agreed with Snyder on RG3 where Shanahan was ready to move on from RG3 after 2013.

When McCloughan was here it was clear he was building the roster & shopping for the groceries but Bruce was determining how much we would spend on players. I think if McCloughan had total control for example that he would’ve signed a Calias Campbell type rather than McGee & McClain on the DL. Or signed Campbell plus 1 of those 2 & still added Hood.

I also think that McCloughan would’ve signed a better safety in 2016 than David Burton, he probably would’ve spent on Tashaun Gipson for example & a better ILB.

Basically I think in 2016 McCloughan would’ve tried to have a Jacksonville type D and would’ve paid for a few of those FAs where Bruce Allen didn’t even try because of their costs.

You put those players on our D w/ that passing offense and we’re definitely a playoff team and may have won a game or more.

Edited by turtle28

You have to hope that Rivera will recognize the value of a personnel man like Kyle Smith and, at the very least, make sure there’s plenty of space carved out for them both to exist in the organization. Not much could be more disappointing than our high-character leader of a HC driving away a true FO talent because he feels the need to assert his own power or control over the operation — there is clearly a way for these guys to co-exist, at least for a while, and it involves Rivera recognizing Smith’s abilities and yielding some authority in Smith’s specialty area. 

Perhaps it can’t continue forever. At some point, perhaps Smith will be in a position where he wants (and can get) total autonomy over a franchise. That isn’t going to happen here as long as Rivera is the figurehead, so we can’t offer him that. But until Smith reaches that level (which I assume/hope isn’t quite yet), they need to make it work. Rivera needs to be proactive in making efforts to keep Smith here, in a way that he frankly wasn’t with some players this past offseason. 

• Like 3

This isn’t even a needed topic the man has earned a position where we don’t have to worry about a team poaching him!!! He’s earned his money title and hopefully when he moves up the right people get promoted to keep this scouting dept heading in the current direction.

48 minutes ago, e16bball said:

You have to hope that Rivera will recognize the value of a personnel man like Kyle Smith and, at the very least, make sure there’s plenty of space carved out for them both to exist in the organization. Not much could be more disappointing than our high-character leader of a HC driving away a true FO talent because he feels the need to assert his own power or control over the operation — there is clearly a way for these guys to co-exist, at least for a while, and it involves Rivera recognizing Smith’s abilities and yielding some authority in Smith’s specialty area. 

Perhaps it can’t continue forever. At some point, perhaps Smith will be in a position where he wants (and can get) total autonomy over a franchise. That isn’t going to happen here as long as Rivera is the figurehead, so we can’t offer him that. But until Smith reaches that level (which I assume/hope isn’t quite yet), they need to make it work. Rivera needs to be proactive in making efforts to keep Smith here, in a way that he frankly wasn’t with some players this past offseason. 

Rivera is on his last real shot. So trust me there is a way Rivera gets his and Kyle is cemented at the top to move on from Ron when that time comes

16 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

This isn’t even a needed topic the man has earned a position where we don’t have to worry about a team poaching him!!! He’s earned his money title and hopefully when he moves up the right people get promoted to keep this scouting dept heading in the current direction.

A team could poach him at anytime. A few examples I could think of are Chicago, Detroit & Jacksonville where those teams need a total blow up of everything. 

I have no idea how Ryan Pace remains employed for the Bears after his Trubisky eff up and not drafting Mahomes or Watson while trading up for Trubisky.

He must have nude photos of the Bears owner or something.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

A team could poach him at anytime. A few examples I could think of are Chicago, Detroit & Jacksonville where both teams need a total blow up of everything. 

I have no idea how Ryan Pace remains employed for the Bears after his Trubisky eff up and not drafting Mahomes or Watson while trading up for Trubisky.

He must have nude photos of the Bears owner or something.

But can they poach him if he is the GM? What would the "promotion" look like? Team Vice President?

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Always thought he was overrated. Maybe we can get a draft pick for him lol

Out of curiosity, is it that you’re not impressed with the draft classes they’ve had with him on staff or is it more that you think the credit for those picks should be going elsewhere?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

Always thought he was overrated. Maybe we can get a draft pick for him lol

Samuel L Jackson What GIF by Coming to America

He’s easily been the best scouting person we’ve had since Casserly and I’d even take him over the Casserly of the mid and late 90s.

The talent we currently have draft wise outside of Scherff & Fuller - who Kyle Smith probably agreed with McCloughan on too - are here bc of the work that Kyle Smith & his crew have done.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Out of curiosity, is it that you’re not impressed with the draft classes they’ve had with him on staff or is it more that you think the credit for those picks should be going elsewhere?

Well with this organization it is hard to say who gets credit for what. I do believe he doesn't have that much control with Rivera in town. Yes, let's give him credit for the Montez Sweat & trade because that is looking like a great selection. But then he gets a pass because Dan Snyder selected Haskins? Did he have no input on that? Who knows. Let's just sweep Derrius Guice and Ryan Anderson under the rug? My point being, it is just hard to evaluate draft classes with the team-centric approach with Gruden/Bruce Allen/Rivera post McCloughan.  He's just so held highly regarded among fans, my reaction when I first hear Kyle being interviewed was "This guy... really?" Kyle strikes me as the super-fan frat bro in my fantasy football league. He's doing a decent job, but I just think its funny a lot of fans think he is the savior of the team while he's been here the last 3 years and we've showed little promise.

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Well with this organization it is hard to say who gets credit for what. I do believe he doesn't have that much control with Rivera in town. Yes, let's give him credit for the Montez Sweat & trade because that is looking like a great selection. But then he gets a pass because Dan Snyder selected Haskins? Did he have no input on that? Who knows. Let's just sweep Derrius Guice and Ryan Anderson under the rug? My point being, it is just hard to evaluate draft classes with the team-centric approach with Gruden/Bruce Allen/Rivera post McCloughan.  He's just so held highly regarded among fans, my reaction when I first hear Kyle being interviewed was "This guy... really?" Kyle strikes me as the super-fan frat bro in my fantasy football league. He's doing a decent job, but I just think its funny a lot of fans think he is the savior of the team while he's been here the last 3 years and we've showed little promise.

I think the fact that Kyle Smith has remained the constant over the last 6 or 7 years of drafts points to him being a good/great talent evaluator who’s continually made good evaluations, built and helped build the draft board and good recommendations for Bruce Allen & Rivera on who to draft over that time period points to his ability.

Here’s how I look at it:

2014: Under Bruce Allen Kyle Smith had a major role in building our draft board and we had a good draft 

2015 & 16: Kyle had a major role in developing our draft board when McCloughan was here even if McCloughan made the decisions. I believe that McCloughan had good things to say about Kyle as he did about Gruden after he was fired.

2017-2019: Again w/ Bruce Allen, Kyle had a major role in developing our draft boards and we had good drafts

2020: Kyle was retained by Rivera & his role was expanded by Rivera bc Rivera was impressed by Kyle and Kyle once again made good recommendations both for the draft and this time in free agency as well.

Edited by turtle28

I just can’t see Them making a McVay level mistake again if they do they will waist the build hes been the one constant for!!! He’s got the stones to take the Gibson and Terry’s who other teams weren’t as high on. I’d give this guy not only the Brinks truck but he’d pretty much get the Mahomes like deal for a FO executive because he and his staff are clearly in sync and they are showing that Reguardless of popular opinion in the initial moment they have a plan that is clearly backed by the coaches and the coaches are making the most of his additions. This is what good teams do and it There’s no way I think Snyder much less Ron would even allow this guy to take a interview!!!