Kyle Smith

lavar703

51 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

I trust rivera. He's done right so far. You guys are giving way to much credit to one guy with Kyle smith. 

He's earned it, he's either been the main person building our draft boards or been the final person building our draft board since 2014. Every single draft choice we've had since 2014 - which has arguably been our best overall drafting since the 80s - he's had a major role in.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mar29020 said:

I trust rivera. He's done right so far. You guys are giving way to much credit to one guy with Kyle smith. 

It’s almost like, and I’m sure this isn’t the case, you’re also giving too much credit to one person in Ron Rivera. 

Except your one person wasn’t here when they drafted guys like Terry McLaurin, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Kendall Fuller, Brandon Scherff, Montez Sweat, Matt Ioannidis, Cole Holcomb, Jimmy Moreland, etc. 

I do think your point is valid in that we can’t just blindly hand all the credit for every good draft pick to Kyle Smith. Lots of different folks have had impact on these picks. But I also think that since Kyle Smith joined our operation, we’ve drafted better than we have since the 80s, and that success has spanned multiple GMs and multiple head coaches. He’s been the one constant, and they’re still nailing it. So why are they trying to reinvent the wheel here? Why would they go outside the organization when the group we have is doing a great job? Because Ron has a buddy he likes to work with who needs a job?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

It’s almost like, and I’m sure this isn’t the case, you’re also giving too much credit to one person in Ron Rivera. 

Except your one person wasn’t here when they drafted guys like Terry McLaurin, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Kendall Fuller, Brandon Scherff, Montez Sweat, Matt Ioannidis, Cole Holcomb, Jimmy Moreland, etc. 

I do think your point is valid in that we can’t just blindly hand all the credit for every good draft pick to Kyle Smith. Lots of different folks have had impact on these picks. But I also think that since Kyle Smith joined our operation, we’ve drafted better than we have since the 80s, and that success has spanned multiple GMs and multiple head coaches. He’s been the one constant, and they’re still nailing it. So why are they trying to reinvent the wheel here? Why would they go outside the organization when the group we have is doing a great job? Because Ron has a buddy he likes to work with who needs a job?

Heck, Kyle Smith had a major part in scouting/drafting Murphy, Moses, Breeland, finding Dunny and drafting Scherff, Preston Smith, Fuller, Crowder, Kyshoen Jarrett, Fabs Moreau, Ioannidis, Jon Allen, Sprinkle, Roullier, Payne, Settle, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Stroman, Sweat, McLaurin, Holcomb, Harmon, Moreland, Steven & Cam Sims, Young, Gibson, Hudson, Curl. 

Kyle has either been the director of college scouting or in his current role since 2014, he’s had a major part in these players getting selected and again, I’d argue it’s been our best 6 year stretch fo drafting since the 80s.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

I do think your point is valid in that we can’t just blindly hand all the credit for every good draft pick to Kyle Smith. Lots of different folks have had impact on these picks. But I also think that since Kyle Smith joined our operation, we’ve drafted better than we have since the 80s, and that success has spanned multiple GMs and multiple head coaches. He’s been the one constant, and they’re still nailing it. So why are they trying to reinvent the wheel here? Why would they go outside the organization when the group we have is doing a great job? Because Ron has a buddy he likes to work with who needs a job?

They led an organization that was sub .500 from 2016-2019.  Rivera had one more winning season than Bruce Allen over the same time period they were with their respective teams.  Putting together that kind of brain trust is........puzzling to say the least.  

And I honestly don't want this to be the case, but I feel it is..............because of Rivera's health issues, Snyder is putting pressure on him to find someone to head up football operations.  Both have dug in their heels on this, which explains the rumors on both Rick Smith and Marty Hurney.  So we've got the front office version of Jim Zorn now........we hired the coach before the GM, and now, for whatever reason, we want to go backwards in time.  

I'll say this.......the lack of committing to a direction, any direction at all, is a hallmark of Dan Snyder, so this shouldn't be the least bit surprising.  In the end, it's going to result in the guy who actually deserves to be the GM walking, while Snyder and Rivera fight over who they want it to be.  If we really wanted Rick Smith, that should have been the move last year.  You can't give Rivera full authority, and then walk it back a year later.  Rivera doesn't want to give up authority, so he wants to give it to someone who he has worked with twice before and, at least in my mind, has allowed Rivera to really call the shots before- which also scares me.  Kyle Smith is the most deserving, and should be given the role, but our politics isn't going to allow it to happen.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Hurley drafted Peppers, Thomas Davis, Josh Norman, Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly. I want Kyle Smith but let’s not forget Hurley drafted the foundation that got the Panthers to the Super Bowl. 

I have no problem making him some kind of person who’s there giving input but the GM title say and responsibility needs to come for the one person who has steadily been apart of the overall health of the roster growing in talent and in youth!! That’s a GM’s duty and Kyle has only early results to go off of but all those names Hurney does have could be trumped by the names we currently already have not considering future work and growth through his FA plans and future workings of his draft boards. We have seen the team move up for Sweat I’m excited for Kyles Smith to grow here!!! We as fans deserve it and Kyle deserves it!!! Hell maybe I should be his agent and get the man paid 😂😂😂

• Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 1:11 PM, mar29020 said:

Even if we are giving Kyle Smith too much credit, why would we want Marty Hurney? Hurney has been the GM of Carolina in two separate stints: 2002-2012* (86-90, 0.489) and 2017-2020** (27-35, 0.435). Looking over Carolina's drafts, it looks like Hurney generally hits on the first round pick ... and not much else. https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/panthers

The only season overlaps between Hurney and Rivera were 2011 (6-10), 2012 (7-9), 2017 (11-5), 2018 (7-9), 2019*** (5-7). The two of them combined for 36-40 (0.474).

Why exactly would we want Washington hire him?

* Hurney was fired on October 22, 2012. Crediting him all of 2012's record as his roster selections would carry through the entire season.
** Hurney was fired on December 21, 2012. Crediting him all of 2020's record to date.
*** Rivera was fired on December 3, 2019. Crediting him only the games he was the head coach of because he would only have impact on the games he was coaching.

On 12/23/2020 at 2:11 AM, turtle28 said:

Hurley drafted Peppers, Thomas Davis, Josh Norman, Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly. I want Kyle Smith but let’s not forget Hurley drafted the foundation that got the Panthers to the Super Bowl. 

As I said, Hurney (n, no l) has hit on draft picks in the first round, but that's basically it. The only non-first round picks Hurney has drafted that got to at least a single Pro Bowl are Ryan Kalil (5), Gary Barnidge (1), Greg Hardy (1), and Josh Norman (1). Barnidge's Pro Bowl was with Cleveland. He also drafted Harrison Butker in 2017, waived him just a game into the 2017 season, signed him to the practice squad, and then watched as the Chiefs signed him to their active roster two weeks later. Butker then made the PFWA All-Rookie team and has been 90% FG kicker for the Chiefs.

He got the stars right, which is to the good. But the connective tissue pieces? Yeah, not so much.

32 minutes ago, Woz said:

As I said, Hurney (n, no l) has hit on draft picks in the first round, but that's basically it. The only non-first round picks Hurney has drafted that got to at least a single Pro Bowl are Ryan Kalil (5), Gary Barnidge (1), Greg Hardy (1), and Josh Norman (1). Barnidge's Pro Bowl was with Cleveland. He also drafted Harrison Butker in 2017, waived him just a game into the 2017 season, signed him to the practice squad, and then watched as the Chiefs signed him to their active roster two weeks later. Butker then made the PFWA All-Rookie team and has been 90% FG kicker for the Chiefs.

He got the stars right, which is to the good. But the connective tissue pieces? Yeah, not so much.

They found pieces in free agency to add to their young players they drafted. Again, he laid the foundation that got the Panthers to the Super Bowl. They don’t get there w/o the players you and I have named, they were the best players in their roster in 2015.

I’m a Kyle Smith guy, he should’ve already gotten the Gm job IMO this Spring after the draft was solid again but I don’t think Hurney is a bum, he learned from the best, Hall of Famer Bobby Bethard.

Washington Football Team planning to hire a GM after the season

Published: Dec 27, 2020 at 08:59 AM

Headshot_Author_Ian_Rapoport_1400x1000

Ian Rapoport

NFL Network Insider

•  
  •  
  •  

At first glance, it appears there are currently five general manager openings in the NFL, with the Carolina Panthers creating the last one. But in reality, there are six.

Sources say that the Washington Football Team is planning to hire a GM when the season ends, the continuation of plans that began when head coach Ron Rivera was hired. The process will begin in earnest when the season ends, but expect an accelerated search.

VP of player personnel Kyle Smith has worked alongside Rivera since he was hired, handling evaluations and moves while Rivera has final say. It appears Washington will look for a more experienced voice.

Among the names expected to be considered and interviewed: former Texans GM Rick Smith, 49ers VP of player personnel Martin Mayhew and former Panthers GM Marty Hurney, among several others.

Rivera was asked this week, following the firing of Hurney in Carolina, about a possible reunion between the two who worked together for years with the Panthers.

"I'm not going to talk about our GM situation," Rivera said. "All that stuff, that personnel stuff, is going to be addressed after the season is over. We're focusing on the playoff run."