Kyle Smith

lavar703

6 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Among the names expected to be considered and interviewed: former Texans GM Rick Smith, 49ers VP of player personnel Martin Mayhew and former Panthers GM Marty Hurney, among several others.

Those bums over Kyle Smith ... I no understand.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I want Kyle to be the guy, he should be the guy and I think he’s earned it over the last 9 years working in this organization but, I’ll also remind folks that Hurney was Bobby Bethards Assistant in San Diego. 

That was nearly 25 years ago.

Again, would you want a guy who has been given multiple chances and fired, or get the possible equivalent of Hurney in 1997?

25 minutes ago, Woz said:

I would be willing to bet against this.

I know people hate JLC, but he's a local guy.  Like Ken Rosenthal with the MLB and the Orioles.  He reported this a week ago, which started this thread.  And his latest article today is that Smith has somehow fallen out of favor and isn't in line for any promotion.  

It just baffles me how this team can't get out of the way of itself.  

• Like 2

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I know people hate JLC, but he's a local guy.  Like Ken Rosenthal with the MLB and the Orioles.  He reported this a week ago, which started this thread.  And his latest article today is that Smith has somehow fallen out of favor and isn't in line for any promotion.  

I guess he didn't kowtow deep enough to Snyder.

Kyle will end up somewhere like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or Kansas City and thrive.

Washington: where young brilliant minds of the game aren't appreciated, but learn how to do the job in spite of the owner.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Sidebar....Isn't Hurney like really really old?  Do we really hire a guy now who is at the end of their career?  Aren't we trying to build something new not old?

He's 65 (just had his birthday last week ... what a present: "Thank you for your time, but you're fired")

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

But that win streak changed our culture...or something.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 4:40 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Exactly 

On 12/27/2020 at 4:36 PM, Woz said:

That was nearly 25 years ago.

Again, would you want a guy who has been given multiple chances and fired, or get the possible equivalent of Hurney in 1997?

I’ve said time and time again that I’m a Kyle Smith guy. I like Lavar have wanted Kyle Smith promoted and before now, Bruce Allen being canned with Kyle Smith being promoted for 2 or 3 years. 

I’m just pointing out that he did learn under Bethard and he did have some good draft picks while with the Panthers.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I’ve said time and time again that I’m a Kyle Smith guy. I like Lavar have wanted Kyle Smith promoted and before now, Bruce Allen being canned with Kyle Smith being promoted for 2 or 3 years. 

I’m just pointing out that he did learn under Bethard and he did have some good draft picks while with the Panthers.

Yeah dude when they selected Payne I realized someone actually understands. Kyle worked closely with Scott McCloughan and there is a formula for a team with a weak roster. Fill the trenches early and take fliers of high motor mid round skill players. We have made one Snyder selection and then they came back up and got Sweat!!! Back to the mold and they struck gold on Terry, and Holecomb with better play at LB around him can be a really good player. This year you can say whatever about Chase but we were going to strike gold with whatever the Bengals did. Luckily we got the guy who would solidify a unit we’ve invested in to have a great unit. This year we have the chance to top that defense off or we can balance out the offense which would be best case because this defense is only improving with this group. If we somehow came away with Pitts and Ford and Toney then we’re a QB away. If we come out with a Lance Jordan Jenkins then you have a offense your hoping in year two feeds off the elite status of the defense and then it clicks. Lance can play and Jordan Brevin is that dude!!! He is a real shot at watching the player we had in Jordan Reed. Jordan is going to be a star and if we’re not coming away with our QB or Pitts or Ford you have to get Jordan.

• Like 1

Okay so here is the basic sum up the responsible non rash understanding of what has to happen with this situation. Ron has been a bright spot on this team and it’s clearly been a heavy weight shifting the culture on this team from cutting Haskins and Guice to all the scandals and things he had no part in. That said Ron can not afford to make this particular mistake. While none of us are in the building on the day to day Kyle maybe in Rons eyes isn’t ready. Ron is a older guy he for sure paid his dues time and time again and earned his over and over before he got his. Kyle has done nothing short of a great job and while it is early and maybe in Rons mind premature because I’m sure Kyle maybe isn’t completely ready because no human is ready for a job they aren’t currently holding until they are in that seat holding it and thriving in the position which usually comes with lumps. When we played the 49ers Kyle in a public interview praised Kyle and Ron for the jobs their doing. And Kyle is a very smart man!!! He is for sure bitter in some sense and praising Kyle gave Kyle recognition to every person in the league. While of course they clearly know already Kyle is doing his thing here being the only constant to the ever improving drafts we’ve had and now throwing in a FA class that honestly struck gold on the relatively cheap is clearly going to be noticed by teams that couldn’t draft a sure thing!!!

While it’s understandable Ron May prefer a comfort hire to fill that role I have learned in life growth doesn’t come from comfort. Ron has not won a SB as a head coach and while I believe he can do it here he’s going to have to jump out of his comfort zone on this one issue to accomplish that goal. Kyle can’t take his lumps in a GM role if he’s doing all the work for Hurney to stamp the paper that Kyle and co did all the work on. Ron May not even like Kyle for whatever reason and that is okay too. Kyle is young and hungry and I think Ron is just Ron he’s older and I’m sure he just wants even keel. But even keel is what I’m sure he had in his front office when he was fired. Ron said himself he came here because he saw this teams talent and fight there’s one persons vision married to this roster and that’s Kyle. 

Im almost certain that Joe Gibbs would have loved for Bobby Bethard to select more then just Art Monk and Darrell Green in his tenure in the first round and not constantly trade out. I’m sure that NE isn’t this beautiful perfect pasture of a FO where they just kiss Bills feet and say your absolutely right on every decision that FO decide to make. Hell you don’t even have to be friends to have respect and trust someone to do their job when clearly they’ve shown every step along the way they will do it and do it well. You do not reward a man who preformed a certain way elsewhere when you have someone in house who has done just as good if not better and id challenge that he hasn’t. 

The moral of the story is that comfort zones don’t win titles!!! One team every year that’s it!!! One team makes it through a season through enough injuries through enough off the field issues through all the in house personalities through all the workouts and practices and games one team. We know what Ron Rivera, Hurney combo can do. But I seriously pray that just once for this team to do the right thing and reward someone a tad early maybe and let him grow. I damn sure know I’m not always right I have just as many misses on players as anyone else and who am I but I do know that if we screw up this GM hire that we’re ultimately going to fall just short in Rons time that’s how this game works. Kyle I’m sure has a lot of his dad in him which clashed with people I understand he may be a tad frugal to bringing in outside players on high dollar contracts all of which I’m willing to sacrifice knowing that the vision is there. Ultimately I want to see Ron lift that damn trophy because that man deserves that trophy!!! I’m beyond thankful for Ron coming to this team I really really pray this man maybe makes a choice he’s not completely comfortable with and gives Kyle Smith the shot that I think all the fans and people around the league who are smart enough to know would respect. Just once I want to see this team do something that good teams do!!! For once I just want to see this team ran like those other proud teams. We’ve paid the price long enough it’s time!!!

• Like 4