Likely or unlikely Sam Darnold trade scenarios

Big T

While I am one of the few who still believe Sam will be a good QB, perhaps even a very good QB in the NFL. 

The reality of going 0 for 16 remains a brutal reality, therefore we must explore every eventuality that Darnold WILL be traded.

Not because of his lack of talent, but because of the no brainer of grabbing what most are saying is a generational talent and too good to pass up.

This will suffice in soothing the fan base and creating optimism and patience the next few years as they become a true playoff team.

It would be easy for me to envision a trade to Chicago to start, perhaps even the 49ers.

But I like controversy, and Joe Douglas likes to wheel and deal and I expect such come this years draft.

Perhaps more so than last years draft, if we finish with the number one pick.

So who could be the most unlikely trade partner for the Jets? You guessed it, New England!

Joe Douglas has shown he is unafraid to trade within the division. The Jets get N.E.'s 2nd this year and a 3rd rounder next year.

N.E. stays within their cap, keeps their number 1 and the Jets come out of it with,  two 1's, two 2's, two 3's .

I don't believe Joe Douglas will throw all his cash at FA, many of the posters here believe him to do the opposite.

The floor is open, who is a likely trading partner for Darnold and a reasonable draft haul.

Few things.....

I don’t think we trade him to the AFC. Don’t want him to even maybe be a person that can hurt us in the playoffs for years.

His trade value has been hurt. Where we originally thought there was a slim chance we could get a late 1st/early 2nd for him. That’s done. He has been bad and these next few games I don’t expect that to change. SEA with no Mims. LAR with an elite D. A well rounded CLE team and the NE D that’s good. So I think at best we get a late 2nd or early 3rd for him.

Lastly (and some might disagree or not like this). It’s not a done deal we trade him. I think if we don’t land the 1st pick there’s a chance (while I think it’s small), that JD doesn’t like Fields. And rates Darnold higher. So he could go in a different direction in the draft and stick with Darnold. I don’t think this is likely. But it is possible.

If we wind up dealing Darnold in favor of drafting Lawrence I think a conditional pick would be our best bet. Maybe like a 4th is this draft along with some kind of conditional 1st -3rd round in Next years draft. I think that could be a workable way to extract some value from him. A team like the Steelers or 49ers may be interested. 

43 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

All it takes is a couple teams being interested to up his value. I think the myth that we broke him is gone so that hurts him/us a bit but still I can see a team taking a flyer on a kid that young. 

Agree that a bidding war can occur.  No one thought we would get two 1st for Jamal and boom.  He needs to go to teh NFC though.  NO would be ideal Ithink for him adn perhaps us.  They still have a good team without Brees so their window is open and might be wililng to over pay to lock in a 23 year old QB.  So if Wash, Minny, NO, TB, Bears and maybe San Fran get hot on him we might get more than we think. 

I have thought of that very scenario and find it difficult to conceive. Trading day two draft picks is one thing. Trading Sam is quite another for some of the very reasons mentioned in this thread. Even if JD wanted to do so, I could not see Woody signing off on it.

The only possibility of that happening is if the Pats offer a ridiculous trade package. I do not see BB doing that. The possibility of even this scenario is pretty close to nil.

No way would I trade him to NE. Not a chance.

SF, Washington or Chi seem like probable destinations. Elway loved him in the draft. So Denver is another spot.

Ive been expecting a 3rd rounder for a long time. Nothing has changed for me on that front.

Edited by SDotNova

darnold will go down like rosen.  he'll fetch us a 2nd, maybe a later round pick as well.  ultimately, i don't think he has the mental aptitude to succeed in the league.  he can make plays, he's athletic but his decision making is what is going to keep him from becoming a top 12 QB.

• Like 1

We should look at teams that may be interested in upgrading the No. 2 or No. 3 QB positions. Forget about the NFL teams that need a starting quarterback. Darnold is not an upgrade on any NFL starting quarterback right now. So let's get that idea out of our heads. He needs to take a step back and learn from a competent NFL franchise, behind a competent NFL QB. Something like Geno Smith in Seattle. Same difference.

We could get a conditional pick or whatever, but maybe a better angle would be a player-for-player swap. Let's say for argument's sake that we hire Eric Bieniemy to be our next head coach. Then, maybe KC would have interest in Darnold as Mahomes' backup. All he would have to do is beat out Chad Henne for that job. We could try trading him to KC in exchange for a position player who can help us right away? What about right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif? I don't know if he is going to return to KC (they don't really need him), but I do believe he will return to the NFL next season after his medical stint this year because of COVID-19. 

Also, if he were traded to the Jets he would be closer to home (which might be important for him in 2021, still). He would be a significant upgrade at right guard from Van Roten.

So teams looking to upgrade the backup QB job, or maybe teams looking for a developmental QB because their starter is getting older. Those are the teams that would have interest in Darnold.

40 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Darnold is not an upgrade on any NFL starting quarterback right now.

I guess you could argue he would be an upgrade to whoever is in JAX.  He would be an upgrade to Trubisky, Newton, maybe even Wentz.  There are some really crappy QB's out there.

1 minute ago, xrade said:

I guess you could argue he would be an upgrade to whoever is in JAX.  He would be an upgrade to Trubisky, Newton, maybe even Wentz.  There are some really crappy QB's out there.

Not an upgrade in his current mindset. You cannot be serious about winning if you decide Sam Darnold is your quarterback in 2021. It might not be a downgrade, but it is not an upgrade. There is a difference.

Teams in the NFL are in the business of winning. Darnold needs to be developed. He needs time. He needs direction. Heck, he may even need to change his mental approach completely.

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Not an upgrade in his current mindset. You cannot be serious about winning if you decide Sam Darnold is your quarterback in 2021. It might not be a downgrade, but it is not an upgrade. There is a difference.

Teams in the NFL are in the business of winning. Darnold needs to be developed. He needs time. He needs direction. Heck, he may even need to change his mental approach completely.

I agree but even his performance on the field right now is better and certainly no worse than those I mentioned.  But if we get back to the question if Sam can be a starter next year somewhere else next year, that is debatable.  If Sam were to start for those teams next year, I believe he would be better that those QB's.  He may have had enough time to relax.  He will have had a whole offseason with his new team (this argument gets an asterisk if there is no offseason program again).  It would be like starting a rookie in a way.  He will have WTF moments followed by "did you see that" moments but his potential for growth will be evident.  I do not think any team that trades for Sam is doing so with the intention of just updrading the 2 or 3 options.  They are doing so because they think he will start for them.