NBA GDT | '20-'21 | KD returns to GS tonight!

11sanchez11

41 minutes ago, Kirill said:

The Lakers do not match up with the Clippers well at all. Who do they have that can stop Paul George? Kawhi Leonard has 6 years of youth + a longer offseason on LeBron. The Clippers point guards Patrick Beverley, Lou Will and Reggie Jackson are better than the Lakers point guards. Ibaka is capable of containing Anthony Davis. The last time Ty Lue was the assistant for a team and then took over as HC they immediately won a championship. That was coaching LeBron, so he will have plenty of insight into coaching against him.

The Clippers should be favorites to win it all. I'm sure they're happy to not have as much pressure on them as last season though.

The Clippers should worry about the Nuggets before they worry about the Lakers.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Kirill said:

The Lakers do not match up with the Clippers well at all. Who do they have that can stop Paul George? Kawhi Leonard has 6 years of youth + a longer offseason on LeBron. The Clippers point guards Patrick Beverley, Lou Will and Reggie Jackson are better than the Lakers point guards. Ibaka is capable of containing Anthony Davis. The last time Ty Lue was the assistant for a team and then took over as HC they immediately won a championship. That was coaching LeBron, so he will have plenty of insight into coaching against him.

The Clippers should be favorites to win it all. I'm sure they're happy to not have as much pressure on them as last season though.

The same schtick was said last year, and how did the Clippers do?  They got worked by the Nuggets and blew a 3-1 lead.  The notion that you think Reggie Jackson is better than any PG on the Lakers' roster might be one of the WORST takes I've seen in the Basketball forum.  And I've seen some really, really bad takes.  I wouldn't take Reggie Jackson over Dennis Schroder, and I probably wouldn't take him over Caruso.  The Lakers have a few wing defenders in Wes Matthews, KCP, and LeBron.  Paul George and Kawhi Leonard are going to get their points, there's little doubt about that.  Unless Pandemic P comes out to play.  Ibaka isn't going to contain Anthony Davis.  And Ty Lue made his career out of being LeBron's puppet.  The Clippers are not the favorites by any means.

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

I'm sure they're happy to not have as much pressure on them as last season though.

Why would they have less pressure on them this year versus last? Last year they were *everybody's*  "They're gonna blow the doors off LA and the NBA" fantasy. There wasnt any pressure. Nothing but love. You couldnt get (or hear) enough about how they were gonna just rifle thru the league....bowl everybody over.  Well - they didnt put a consistent effort together during the season and sure enough, it caught up to them in the playoffs. So - how's their life gotten easier for them?  I dont see it.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The same schtick was said last year, and how did the Clippers do?  They got worked by the Nuggets and blew a 3-1 lead.  The notion that you think Reggie Jackson is better than any PG on the Lakers' roster might be one of the WORST takes I've seen in the Basketball forum.  And I've seen some really, really bad takes.  I wouldn't take Reggie Jackson over Dennis Schroder, and I probably wouldn't take him over Caruso.  The Lakers have a few wing defenders in Wes Matthews, KCP, and LeBron.  Paul George and Kawhi Leonard are going to get their points, there's little doubt about that.  Unless Pandemic P comes out to play.  Ibaka isn't going to contain Anthony Davis.  And Ty Lue made his career out of being LeBron's puppet.  The Clippers are not the favorites by any means.

Last year was an adjustment year for the Clippers. Lakers fans should know all about that, they didn't even make the playoffs in LeBron's first year there. It took the Clippers a year for guys like Beverley and Lou Will to learn their roles. LeBron also isn't coming off a long offseason this year, or a season where he stood around all year on defense. I agree the Nuggets are a problem, but it's entirely possible the Clippers don't end up facing them and the Lakers do. I also think they will simply look and play more like a team under Ty Lue, especially in the playoffs. I'm not fond of Doc Rivers and he also was clearly not a good fit with Paul George, who cheated on his daughter with a stripper.

The only thing I worry about with the Clippers is getting to the free throw line. But their key players are better FT shooters than the Lakers players are anyways.

Edited by Kirill

5 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Last year was an adjustment year for the Clippers. Lakers fans should know all about that, they didn't even make the playoffs in LeBron's first year there. It took the Clippers a year for guys like Beverley and Lou Will to learn their roles. LeBron also isn't coming off a long offseason this year, or a season where he stood around all year on defense. I agree the Nuggets are a problem, but it's entirely possible the Clippers don't end up facing them and the Lakers do.

But it wasn't an adjustment period for the Lakers?  Quite literally, there were only 3 players (Alex Caruso, KCP, and Kuzma) on last year's roster that was on the Lakers roster two years ago.  The Clippers went 49-23 in the regular season and finished as the #2 seed in the West.  Patrick Beverly is an entitled ****** who doesn't realize he's not that good.  He envisions himself a star, and he's not.  Lou Williams is a career 6MOY candidate, his role hasn't changed.  Excuses.  Sounds like Paul George.

Reggie Jackson is terrible. The Clippers not adding a ballhandler/PG was confusing to me. Ibaka is a nice addition, but don't think it moves the needle much. They are banking on Kawhi/PG staying healthy / Ty Lue flipping the culture I guess.

Analysts projecting the Clippers at 2 and a tier above the rest of the west is confusing to me. Kawhi's health is a question mark. They didn't improve the roster. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kirill said:

Ibaka is capable of containing Anthony Davis.

That's funny.

I swear Ibaka can still defend, but people act like he is the guy he was when he's more of a floor bound player at this point. 

He's not the defender he was 4-5 years ago.... let alone back when he averaged like 3 something blocks per game.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Kawhi knows!! lmao

Just turned 20 like a few weeks ago. 😎

He's 6 months younger than Cole Anthony, over a year younger than Aaron Nesmith, a year and a half younger than Obi Toppin, 3 month younger than Devin Vassell, and 9 months younger than his former teammate Tyrese Haliburton. Crazy. He is 5 months younger than Zion and was the 2nd youngest in the league last year behind only Sekou Doumbouya who doesn't turn 20 until the Pistons first game on the 23rd.

Glad to see him catching eyes already. Excited to see his progression working with Phil Handy who is great at player development.

But when Phil Handy—an assistant coach for the Toronto Raptors who specializes in skill development and has worked closely with LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Kyrie Irving, among many others—met Leonard over the summer and asked what part of his game he most wanted to improve, the two-time Defensive Player of the Year had ball-handling at the top of his list.

“Great players are great players, and I think they become even better players when they’re willing to get out of their comfort zone and just work on different things,” Handy told VICE Sports. “Kawhi was already a good ball-handler. I just think a lot of people didn’t really get to see that part of his game. It was there.”

There is still rawness there for sure with THT and not expecting him to get a ton of minutes in our quest for a repeat, but I do think he should get start getting minutes. Probably won't get much unless LeBron/AD or one of the other old guys sits or someone misses time with injury, because we are so deep, but that's okay. Would be really cool to see him develop into a really good player and help his fellow Chicagoan, Anthony Davis, run things with L.A. after LeBron leaves in 2023 to go play with whoever drafts Bronny lol.