Week 14 GDT - Broncos at Panthers

4 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Enjoyed that. 1st quarter was slow, but we built that 2nd half in the 1st half. Awesome decision making by Drew, awesome playcalling.

Defense was poor in the 4th but they are so banged up. Delighted for Bausby. Cut 13 times ... Insane

Yep.  Best game of Lock’s career.  Took what the defense was giving him and when it was giving him deep shot opportunities he was taking them.  That’s what starting caliber QBs do.  

Hope this was a confidence builder and a turning point for how he approaches the position. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

It would’ve been fun to see this team healthy w/ a full offseason.

Naw, a healthy team with a stupid Drew would have been more frustrating than it was. Let's hope for that next year. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Naw, a healthy team with a stupid Drew would have been more frustrating than it was. Let's hope for that next year. 

I haven’t seen many games (1 in fact) but from reading George’s weekly breakdown it seems he just hadn’t had a chance to grasp the offense yet. We got to remember this is a kid who doesn’t even have 1 full off-season of practice in the nfl yet. Walked into the season with almost zero interaction with his new play caller and is still 8-6 in games that he’s finished. It seems that now that he’s had some time to practice and learn the offense he’s making the reads that the OC wants him to. 

He’s learning. He’s getting better. 

so yeah, put me in the group that’s interested to see what the kid can do with a full offseason. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I haven’t seen many games (1 in fact) but from reading George’s weekly breakdown it seems he just hadn’t had a chance to grasp the offense yet. We got to remember this is a kid who doesn’t even have 1 full off-season of practice in the nfl yet. Walked into the season with almost zero interaction with his new play caller and is still 8-6 in games that he’s finished. It seems that now that he’s had some time to practice and learn the offense he’s making the reads that the OC wants him to. 

so yeah, put me in the group that’s interested to see what the kid can do with a full offseason. 

You're right. I know I've probably posted " he just doesn't understand the offense" probably ten times. Last week, really for the first time he seemed to grasp it. This week, much more so. Once he gets the WCO philosophy he could be good.  I know if I were Shurmer I'd have him listening to Bill Walsh tapes on the WCO philosophy until he'd memorized them and actually got it.

• Like 1

His last two starts you saw him look more comfortable and today, with both starting tackles out, he played a real NFL QB game. Took the easy stuff, stayed patient and let things progressively open up instead of forcing it. Should help him to finally hit on some vertical shots. But the process of getting those opportunities is what he should take away from this game. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

This is where I’ve come to now. The Denver beat writers and radio guys think it’s assured we bring in a veteran or draft the BYU kid but I’m not so sure that’s what Elway is thinking. 

As I said during the game, I think both Drew and Shurmur have taken some strides of late and the fact they didn’t have an off-season together had to be a big part of the struggles we’ve seen. 

Now, I’m not saying Lock up Lock long term after one good game but if see similar success in the final 3 games in terms of decision making and game management I think we have to bring Drew back and have it as a “his job to lose” rather than another “the decision” in camp. 

• Like 2

1. I read @lomaxgrUK takes every week and I didn’t not read a ringing endorsement of Lock’s game vs the Chiefs.  He can correct me if I am wrong, though.  I watched that game and he was awful.  He made 3 quality throws all game.  Everything else is just sugar coating average plays....for example, loved Locks patience on that screen I don’t find to be encouraging when he’s basically started an entire season of football.

2.  Lock was excellent today.  He played QB for maybe the first time in his career (14 starts).  That needs to continue for the next 3 games, if it doesn’t this team 100% needs to add a veteran or a high draft pick.  You can’t go into next year with Drew Lock having 1-2 good games as the outright starting QB.  Even after today he’s still the worst starting QB in the NFL that wasn’t replaced due to injury.

3.  Lock working out is huge for the organization.  Not having to use major assets on a QB allows this team to focus on remaking the talent defensively.  Lock being the guy would out Denver in a really good position moving into next year.

Edited by germ-x

Lock was excellent today.  That was just a smart well lead football game for him at QB.  Thats what a franchise QB looks like.  He took what was given and didn’t force anything.

He tries to play like Mahomes/Rodgers/Wilson and that’s not him (and he’s not the only young QB to try and do this, it’s why Josh Allen has made a massive jump this year even with how talented he is).  I am excited to see how it carries over.  Need to string multiple games together like that.

Edited by germ-x

I'm right there with you guys that lock played a great game (by his standards) today. However... He had wide open dudes all day with extremely porous defense, though his accuracy looked way better. This game is certainly not making me think he's turned a corner because he hasn't shown that all season. Also MG3 has also played great these past two games which has largely helped our offense in terms of the ball not being in Locks hands. 

Let's also mention that if it weren't for a timely penalty, we would've had 1 less TD this game. One last thing, Lock literally threw a pass off cush's head at the end in an important moment. To me... Lock still gonna lock. I don't want to be the guy to poopoo a good game from a guy and I do hope some of you are right about him turning a corner. Time will tell I suppose... I'm also getting flashbacks of last year where we take advantage of teams at the end of the year and get a few wins to make us "look better" going into next season with a worse pick... 

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This is where I’ve come to now. The Denver beat writers and radio guys think it’s assured we bring in a veteran or draft the BYU kid but I’m not so sure that’s what Elway is thinking. 

As I said during the game, I think both Drew and Shurmur have taken some strides of late and the fact they didn’t have an off-season together had to be a big part of the struggles we’ve seen. 

Now, I’m not saying Lock up Lock long term after one good game but if see similar success in the final 3 games in terms of decision making and game management I think we have to bring Drew back and have it as a “his job to lose” rather than another “the decision” in camp. 

I would like to see what happens down the stretch in Philly.  Does Hurst flash enough for the Eagles to keep him and cut Wentz?  Or, does he flash enough that they trade Hurst?  Either way, if I am Elway I try to bring in one of those guys as competition for Lock.  I don't see any harm in doing that.  

55 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I would like to see what happens down the stretch in Philly.  Does Hurst flash enough for the Eagles to keep him and cut Wentz?  Or, does he flash enough that they trade Hurst?  Either way, if I am Elway I try to bring in one of those guys as competition for Lock.  I don't see any harm in doing that.  

The cap situation makes the Eagles ditching Wentz impossible in some ways and, at best, difficult to stomach in others. I don’t have the exact numbers in front of me but if they cut him before June 1, it’s like a $59m hit, after June 1 it’s still in the high $30m range. If they trade him after June 1 it’s still going to be something like an $18m hit to their 2021 cap. 

I like Wentz, I really do, but I don’t see Philly swinging that deal this off-season. 

So, consider this a formal request @lomaxgrUK. I think in your review you should add about 3 of Muti's best plays. It's just funny. He was a bit lost today, didn't play great but he had a few amazing moments. It got me laughing. Usually on the IOL you get the "welcome to the NFL rookie" in a kids first game. This was more like "welcome to Metane Muti". 

His power and strength are really nuts. I hope they keep him on the field for the rest of the season. I can't remember ever having that kind of power on the interior. He's just really fun to watch. 

About 4:30 left, he just threw a D-lineman to the ground, then ran a few steps and dumped a DB.

Anyway, I'd sure appreciate it. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Okay that was beautiful. Hamler and Jeudy showing off their rare gifts today. And a perfect throw from Drew.

This team still consistently beats teams when there’s a serious talent deficit. 

9 hours ago, germ-x said:

Lock has looked much better today.  This is not a good Panthers defense, but Lock is showing maturity.  Taking what the defense is giving, which opens things up to take shots when you’re consistently completing passes (even if only for 5-6 yards).  That’s what opens up big plays.  When everything is about the big plays it makes it easy for a defense to pin their ears back and wait for mistakes.

Hope this continues.  Having Lock be the answer is so important.  This game won’t change my mind, but it’s a step in the right direction. 

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Shurmur has been awesome the last 2 games.

I think these are the take home messages from today's game:

1.  We're good enough to beat teams that are less talented.   We've probably only won 1 game where the other team was more talented (LAC), and that was aided by Bosa leaving (he was killing us), and Anthony Lynn's awful game management (he did it again in the 1H this week, but they still won - because they were playing ATL, who are just as bad at giving away games late lol).  It's pretty clear NE isn't the same team we're used to facing (although any road W is a good W, just talking about the talent gap).   If we won a team where we were clearly less talented than, I'd consider it a signature game (LAC might have been that moment, but then the rest of the season happened) - we're not quite there yet. 

2.  Still, we're moving in the right direction.    And that's about what we can say with Lock.  1 game isn't going to erase all the problems he's shown - ESPECIALLY when it's against CAR's D.  They're well coached, but they're vulnerable.   Lock took advantage.   How he fares against better D's, though - that's the litmus test.   Obviously, the next 3 weeks will tell us more (LV is a matchup he should be miles ahead of the 1st game, but LAC & BUF obv pose problems, so it will be good to see how he progresses).

3.  Shurmur's finally become more original and unpredictable. He's dialed up some very good play calls the last 2 weeks.    He's still got some kinks to work out, but there's hope at the end of the tunnel.

Much like how we shouldn't get too down after our worst game....we can't get too high about 2021 from a W against CAR - but it's also not something we should dismiss (as opposed to our W against NYJ, there's a team headed for the history books unless JAX wins another game).  

• Like 2

Winning meaningless games against inferior talent really doesn't impress me. Lock had a good game but Carolina doesn't have the most imposing defense and seemed like a very poor secondary. They didn't have a great pass rush even though our Oline was injury-riddled. Just not as impressed as others here, the Broncos SHOULD win games like this. All it did was keep us in the mediocre range, especially in the draft next year.

Vic is a heck of a defensive coach, should not be HC material IMO

Edited by Cutler06