Okudah out for season

Nnivolcm

Rookie cornerback Jeff Okudah will miss the rest of the season after electing to undergo groin surgery, a person familiar with the decision told the Free Press.

Okudah, the Detroit Lions' first-round pick, is scheduled for a procedure Tuesday to fix a groin strain that has nagged him since his days at Ohio State and slowly gotten worse this season.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/12/12/jeff-okudah-injury-detroit-lions-news/6523561002/

An underwhelming season for the 3rd overall pick. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Yes it was underwhelming. Personally I didn’t have much in the way of expectations for him. 1st year, very little preseason time. It’s just a bad season for rookies playing harder positions.

I think the fact he went to OSU made him the 3rd pick, other than that he was not that impressive in college.  It's not like the B1G had great WRs or great QB play.  He was overrated in college but in the NFL he was exposed on a daily basis.  The fact that the was a split decision on whom to draft tells you a ton.  Some believed in him some didn't.  I don't think he has the speed, instincts, or overall confidence to excel at the NFL level.  Other CBs drafted after him have done just fine, even better.  I wish him the best but unless he can show some improvement next year then I don't see him sticking around with a new regime.  

1 hour ago, MrLionzz said:

I think the fact he went to OSU made him the 3rd pick, other than that he was not that impressive in college.  It's not like the B1G had great WRs or great QB play.  He was overrated in college but in the NFL he was exposed on a daily basis.  The fact that the was a split decision on whom to draft tells you a ton.  Some believed in him some didn't.  I don't think he has the speed, instincts, or overall confidence to excel at the NFL level.  Other CBs drafted after him have done just fine, even better.  I wish him the best but unless he can show some improvement next year then I don't see him sticking around with a new regime.  

I think one of the biggest factors for CB play is the presence of a pass rush. The commitment Patricia had to not pressure the passer creates an enormous disadvantage for the secondary. 

I had doubts Okudah would be effective this year, but that had more to do with the lack of pass rush than Okudah himself. 

• Like 3

I have no confidence in any cb before year 3. If a rookie shines in the first year, more than likely he is supported well on D and its a bonus for the team. I had very low expectations for okudah this season and found it advantageous for his development he got as much playing time as he did. I expect to see him make a decent jump next season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Not worried about it. He flashed his immense upside. Get healthy.

Can you expand on how he flashed his immense upside? I didn't see it, but with Patricia as HC my apathy has been at an all time high and I haven't as attentive as I've been in the past. None of the articles I can find mention any positives outside of good run defense. 

6 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Can you expand on how he flashed his immense upside? I didn't see it, but with Patricia as HC my apathy has been at an all time high and I haven't as attentive as I've been in the past. None of the articles I can find mention any positives outside of good run defense. 

Yeah...I didn't see a ton either. 

Shame that he's out for the year. Even though he wasn't very good this year, those last four games would've been good experience for him and maybe he would've shown some improvements. Oruwariye had some decent performances in the last part of his rookie year and now he looks pretty solid. 

6 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Sure. I thought his INT against Arizona was a fantastic football play: trailing the receiver across the field, undercutting the pass and making the diving interception was all great. He then got up and gained a bunch of yards.

He was blasted after early season games against elite NFL WRs. As the season moved forward, he appeared far more comfortable in coverage. (We can ignore his outstanding play in the run game.)

After the IND game:

"Despite Okudah’s early struggles, his passer rating against (89.4) on the year is still the second-best of the 18 qualified rookie cornerbacks in the NFL -- only behind Kansas City Chiefs corner L'Jarius Sneed and his three-game sample size."

26 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Sure. I thought his INT against Arizona was a fantastic football play: trailing the receiver across the field, undercutting the pass and making the diving interception was all great. He then got up and gained a bunch of yards.

He was blasted after early season games against elite NFL WRs. As the season moved forward, he appeared far more comfortable in coverage. (We can ignore his outstanding play in the run game.)

After the IND game:

"Despite Okudah’s early struggles, his passer rating against (89.4) on the year is still the second-best of the 18 qualified rookie cornerbacks in the NFL -- only behind Kansas City Chiefs corner L'Jarius Sneed and his three-game sample size."

I think things to really consider is his lack of training camp, no pass rush what so ever. In fact, we would have to improve to be able to say we had no pass rush.

I think the word flash is the most incredibly accurate description of what he has shown.  The fact he has improved each game, and from what I watched, it seemed he didn't get beat by the same move twice (I'm thinking of Davante Adams). He is going to have some incredible growing pains.  Remember, Slay was benched in his second season and that was on a much better defense.

None of this even accounts for his run D.  I think he has a high floor when it is all said in done.  Will he be worth the 3rd pick? Only time will tell. Will he be a solid pro, I think he will.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 3