RB group

Tetsujin

As much as I like how our backs have performed recently I still want Miami to go RB in the draft, and early. While Ja'marr Chase is at the top of my wish list, Etienne with our 2nd first rounder is number 2. Our backs are serviceable but Etienne is a whole new level of talent comparatively. Get a premium back on a rookie deal rather than sign some FA to some exorbitant amount of $$. 

23 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

As much as I like how our backs have performed recently I still want Miami to go RB in the draft, and early. While Ja'marr Chase is at the top of my wish list, Etienne with our 2nd first rounder is number 2. Our backs are serviceable but Etienne is a whole new level of talent comparatively. Get a premium back on a rookie deal rather than sign some FA to some exorbitant amount of $$. 

Just say no to a RB in the 1st round that isn't a Saquan Barkley/Ezekiel Elliot/Christian McCaffrey type talent.  There isn't one of those in this draft.  

47 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Just say no to a RB in the 1st round that isn't a Saquan Barkley/Ezekiel Elliot/Christian McCaffrey type talent.  There isn't one of those in this draft.  

I am of the opinion the Etienne is that type of talent (kamara-esque) and wouldn't be offended if we took him with our 2nd 1st round pick, but regardless I do believe there are backs in this draft that are upgrades over our current roster that could be had in the 2nd round or later.  What I don't want is an "upgrade" through free agency. Chris Carson etc. 

Breida looked good yesterday, wonder if he'll stay with Miami for 2021. He only has 59 rush attempts for the whole year (that's like one game for Earl Campbell or Eddie George). 

Ahmed has been a shock, a pleasant shock. From practice squad to 100-plus rushing yards. 

13 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Breida looked good yesterday, wonder if he'll stay with Miami for 2021. He only has 59 rush attempts for the whole year (that's like one game for Earl Campbell or Eddie George). 

Ahmed has been a shock, a pleasant shock. From practice squad to 100-plus rushing yards. 

I don't think there's a scenario where we hold onto Breida. Even though he looked pretty good our coaching staff has made it pretty clear that both Ahmed and Gaskin are above him in the backfield pecking order. I don't see why he'd want to return, and being what our coaching staff thinks of him based on the snap counts, I can't imagine we value him highly enough to invest in an extension.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 2:15 PM, Phinsesq said:

I am of the opinion the Etienne is that type of talent (kamara-esque) and wouldn't be offended if we took him with our 2nd 1st round pick, but regardless I do believe there are backs in this draft that are upgrades over our current roster that could be had in the 2nd round or later.  What I don't want is an "upgrade" through free agency. Chris Carson etc. 

I agree that Etienne will be an amazing talent. He's a great ball carrier and a threat to catch out of the backfield. We will have to grab him late round 1 or early round 2 based on the mocks I've seen (still too early to tell how accurate those would be). I personally wouldn't be mad if we took him with our 2nd rounder from Houston. Question obviously is do we invest that kind of draft capital in a RB?

If we trade back from a spot like 3rd overall and end up with additional picks in that range where Etienne or Harris would be , that could be an easier answer. I feel like we could wait a round and get a guy like Hubbard (but again, I'm no draft expert). 

Additionally, I think our FO and coaches would need to decide if we want a "feature back", or if we want say a power back that can spell Gaskin, and have a lightening and thunder type of RB tandem. In that event, we could go to FA or take a back later on. A power back guy like UNC's Javonte Adams could be there in a round where most NFL franchises would feel better drafting a RB. 

2 minutes ago, JourneymanQB13 said:

I agree that Etienne will be an amazing talent. He's a great ball carrier and a threat to catch out of the backfield. We will have to grab him late round 1 or early round 2 based on the mocks I've seen (still too early to tell how accurate those would be). I personally wouldn't be mad if we took him with our 2nd rounder from Houston. Question obviously is do we invest that kind of draft capital in a RB?

If we trade back from a spot like 3rd overall and end up with additional picks in that range where Etienne or Harris would be , that could be an easier answer. I feel like we could wait a round and get a guy like Hubbard (but again, I'm no draft expert). 

Additionally, I think our FO and coaches would need to decide if we want a "feature back", or if we want say a power back that can spell Gaskin, and have a lightening and thunder type of RB tandem. In that event, we could go to FA or take a back later on. A power back guy like UNC's Javonte Adams could be there in a round where most NFL franchises would feel better drafting a RB. 

My mind has always been to take Him or Harris with the 2nd first rounder in the 18-20ish range. Gaskins has been playing well though, I just feel those backs are a talent level above. I don’t mind the draft capital in a talented back (Later first round wise) because the rookie contract is so favorable allowing for a 5th year option. I’m of the opinion you keep em 5 years/franchise a 6th then let em go in free agency. I’m definitely no expert either, but Hubbard doesn’t impress me much but again what do I know. Above all though Wr is a dire position of need. 

I don't want a running back with a round 1 pick.  If Etienne is available in round 2, then that might be ok.  But honestly, WR is a higher priority and I'd rather spend the pick on that position group.  A player I really like is Kadarius Toney from UF.  He has explosive playmaking ability and might be available in round 2.

Waddle and Toney could transform the WR group.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

R2 is a great spot to get a RB.

I agree that R2 should be the sweet spot for RB’s in the 2021 draft.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see Etienne still available on Day 2.  He hasn’t had as good of a year as he did in 2019.  I think Najee Harris has looked much better than Etienne this season and so has Javonte Williams from UNC.  I could see us targeting both in round 2 although I see a chance for Harris to go on Day 1.

There is good RB depth this draft and there will be RB’s that go in R3 and R4 that will end up being starters in their rookie season.

If they take a 1st round RB, I riot.  I don't want a RB drafted in this draft before the Fins' pick 2B.  I wouldn't complain if Najee was available and they pounced, but he and Etienne are almost surely gone.  I really like the value of Trey Sermon or Javonte Williams in the 3rd.  Both those guys are big backs and actually have much more wiggle than you would think.

Plus, I am demanding 2 receivers in the first 4 picks (unless they go there in FA).  

19 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

If they take a 1st round RB, I riot.  I don't want a RB drafted in this draft before the Fins' pick 2B.  I wouldn't complain if Najee was available and they pounced, but he and Etienne are almost surely gone.  I really like the value of Trey Sermon or Javonte Williams in the 3rd.  Both those guys are big backs and actually have much more wiggle than you would think.

Plus, I am demanding 2 receivers in the first 4 picks (unless they go there in FA).  

I’d prefer to see us take one of each and in no particular order, WR, OL, LB, RB.  I’m not completely opposed to 2 WR in the first 4 picks, it just depends how the draft plays out.

• 2 weeks later...