QB of the Future: Trey Lance

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

I will say that, based on this video, I don't think Lance is a true 1st round prospect.

He tends to sail his intermediate throws, especially to the perimeter, which I think has to do with the fact that he doesn't set his feet properly when making those directional throws. He doesn't throw with anticipation, either. I don't really see him hitting guys in stride on horizontal routes. The few times he came off his primary read to make a throw, he looked flat-footed.

On top of that, he made a number of questionable decisions with the ball that would have cost him dearly at the NFL level. That interception at the 6-minute mark is absolutely brutal. 

It looks like his basic mechanics are solid. He has a hitch in his hip rotation but otherwise his pocket footwork is solid. The big problem I am seeing is that he quickly abandons his mechanics as soon as he gets into any sort of trouble. Even when he has time to set his feet he doesnt. 

• Like 1
Just now, Deadpulse said:

It looks like his basic mechanics are solid. He has a hitch in his hip rotation but otherwise his pocket footwork is solid. The big problem I am seeing is that he quickly abandons his mechanics as soon as he gets into any sort of trouble. Even when he has time to set his feet he doesnt. 

He looks fine mechanically when throwing down the middle of the field, but on throws to the perimeter, it doesn't look like he consistently points his toe at his target like you're supposed to. See 1:12 and 2:15. Seems like he doesn't open up enough when throwing to his right. 

1 minute ago, Starless said:

He looks fine mechanically when throwing down the middle of the field, but on throws to the perimeter, it doesn't look like he consistently points his toe at his target like you're supposed to. See 1:12 and 2:15. Seems like he doesn't open up enough when throwing to his right. 

yea I am seeing that too. Its why he has the hitch in his hips probably, he is overcompensating for it. 

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Surely you could pick better examples than those. 

Realistically? Those guys were people I pointed out in the last few years and got heavy backlash on. On top of those guys though? There have been passes in the draft on Lamar Jackson as we all know, and Drew Lock.

Teddy Bridgewater, Gardner Minshew, Mason Rudolph, Will Grier, and Jake Fromm have been QB's I've advocated for under Belichick/McDaniels as well in recent years.

There have been QB's available of great value going back to 2018. The Patriots have had the opportunity to improve their roster but the suggestion of all or most of these players was met here with opposition. The frequent retort has been something suggesting Brady would never leave, (even though the writing was clearly on wall), and that the QB's suggested scared the hell out of them for one reason or another. Most of these QB's mentioned have turned out to be competent in their situations and I imagine the Pats are capable of utilizing any and all of them effectively as well. Point is passing on another QB like Trey Lance because he scares them for the same reasons the others did is just history repeating itself in an unproductive way.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Steve Young and Russell Wilson 

Josh Allen, DeShaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray, Cam.

Elite QB's have very, very good athleticism these days. Even Derek Carr, Daniel Jones, Aaron Rodgers, Mitch Trubisky, Ryan Tannehill, Baker Mayfield, Justin Herbert, Carson Wentz, and Drew Lock are good, mobile athletes at the position. Tony Romo, John Elway, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Alex Smith were.

Edited by DoleINGout
2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Josh Allen, DeShaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray, Cam.

Elite QB's have very, very good athleticism these days. Even Tony Romo, Derek Carr, Daniel Jones, Aaron Rodgers, Mitch Trubisky, Ryan Tannehill, Baker Mayfield, Justin Herbert, and Drew Lock are good, mobile athletes at the position.

The ratio of pure pocket passers and mobile QBs is probably about 50% right now

If I had to pick a QB in the first round who is actually expected to be available around where the Pats will pick, it would have to be Zach Wilson, but I'm not particularly crazy about him, either, since he hasn't looked all that great when facing pressure. 

I think they'll need another stopgap QB no matter what. My hope is that Stafford will become available. 

I have posted on Lance before and IMO he is a major risk and not worth a 1st RD pick.

I have watched every highlight and game on video and if you can find him looking for 2/3 option it will be the 1st time.  He does two thing well against guys that will have 9 to 5 jobs after their college career, throw the long ball and run. Lance runs if his 1st option is not open something that he wont be able to do at the next level, they will game plan and take away his run. Also at the next level his running with not be effective as in college, he runs a 4.6 forty! That's Lineman speed!

He's the draft so call experts next big QB hopeful the same a Jordan Love.  If I had to pick a comparison he's Daunte Culpepper without Moss and Carter! I would draft Trask and Jones before I would  risk a pick that doesn't have (skill) complete game at a lower level. Just watch him and Zach Wilson on tape, it's  night and day when you compare skill level at the QB position.

PS You would take  a 50 50 shot and pass on Pitts, Smith, Waddle or one of the real good CB in the draft.   Look at all the fools in history that took chance on the next QB!!!!  All I hear is he has a strong arm,can run and has the body. What I don't see is any skill level needed for the jump to the NFL!

You miss and its 5 years or more draft choices wasted!

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

The one-read thing doesn't bother me nearly as much as the mechanics and accuracy. 

If a guy has a good arm and solid mechanics, you can ease him into a pro-style offense without worrying about the rest. That kind of guy can play as a rookie. If you have to fix his mechanics/pocket presence on top of that, you're talking about a multi-year project. It worked out for the Bills with Josh Allen, but he's by far the exception when it comes to guys that come into the league with serious mechanical/accuracy issues. Guys like Bortles, Manuel, Trubisky, Tebow, etc. never did figure it out. 

14 minutes ago, Starless said:

The one-read thing doesn't bother me nearly as much as the mechanics and accuracy. 

If a guy has a good arm and solid mechanics, you can ease him into a pro-style offense without worrying about the rest. That kind of guy can play as a rookie. If you have to fix his mechanics/pocket presence on top of that, you're talking about a multi-year project. It worked out for the Bills with Josh Allen, but he's by far the exception when it comes to guys that come into the league with serious mechanical/accuracy issues. Guys like Bortles, Manuel, Trubisky, Tebow, etc. never did figure it out. 

That's where we differ. If he can't do it against  9to5 players in college how will he do it in the NFL. You can't teach that you have it or you don't. All World RG3, Vince Young major downfall, could not read the defenses.

Edited by m haynes
2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Cam is the stop gap. If there is a FA quarterback signed that many would hope is a "stop gap" I think you'll be disappointed to know that Trubisky isn't going to be a one year rental.

Cam? Tyrod Taylor? Jacoby Brisset? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Stop gap, one year guys. Yeah. Trubisky? That will be a 2-3 year investment at least.

7 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Cam? Tyrod Taylor? Jacoby Brisset? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Stop gap, one year guys. Yeah. Trubisky? That will be a 2-3 year investment at least.

2-3 years is still a stopgap, especially with the way NFL contracts are structured. It's an open question whether a guy like Stafford would take a deal like that. I hope he would, but I'd be fine committing to him longer-term either way, since he's only going to be 33 and can still sling it.

My prediction? We're gonna bring Garoppolo back on a 2-year deal.