QB of the Future: Trey Lance

DoleINGout

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Bills haven't been this good since I was born.

Speaking of which

I was just thinking about how long it had been, prior to this season, that the Patriots didn't know who their starting QB would be the coming year. With the exception of the Matt Cassel year, which was caused by a fluke injury that wasn't likely to significantly alter the trajectory of the franchise, it had been an unbroken line of Bledsoe for 9 seasons (counting 2001), followed by Brady for 18. That's 27 years without having to worry about whether the most important position in American pro sports would be up to snuff.

The last time the Pats dealt with that concern, the QBs on the roster were Hugh Millen, Scott Zolak, Tom Hodson and Jeff Carlson. The head coach was **** MacPherson and the owner was James Orthwein. That was also, incidentally, the year I started watching football at age 9. In other words, I'm 37 years old and have only experienced two seasons of QB uncertainty. 

5 hours ago, Starless said:

My prediction? We're gonna bring Garoppolo back on a 2-year deal. 

I get why people make this link but man, if we do bring him back it only rubberstamps that we really had no succession plan after trading him to SF in the first place.

We've seen enough at SF to know that he shouldn't be the guy. We got a second rd pick, we got another SB, we got the better deal. Lets look forward and to the draft.

If he ain't good enough to lead SF he shouldn't be good enough for us.

11 hours ago, Starless said:

Surely you could pick better examples than those. 

Seriously lol.

Running QB's are the future.  Now, I'm not saying you have to be a Lamar Jackson type runner, but you certainly have to have some mobility in today's NFL.  i think the days of the "traditional" pocket passer is trending towards obsolete. 

I think Lance might be gone before we pick, but I do like the idea. My pipe dream was Zach Wilson but now he's going to be lonnnng gone before we pick. 

Keep taking shots at QB until you find the guy. I'd like to see us draft two, personally. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Carr, Hill, and Hurts are three examples of current NFL starters that I had pitched on this website as realistic options and received backlash on. All three would be better options than what the Patriots have found themselves in.

What is it you see in Hill that makes you feel that way? I haven't seen anything out of him to suggest he's going to be anyone's long-term solution at QB.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

What is it you see in Hill that makes you feel that way? I haven't seen anything out of him to suggest he's going to be anyone's long-term solution at QB.

As a 2-3 year guy starting this season I thought he would be capable. The way he is producing and winning with the Saints as their starting QB has shown he is capable of starting and not ruining an otherwise good team. If nothing else, he can be a very good receiver and special teamer in various ways.

take all the points in here, but I just think this would be another wasted early pick. Think he's likely a bust.

With our QB situation though it might be worth finding out

edit - turns out the points made in here are that he plays against future 9-5 workers, has an easy offensive philosophy to work with, has poor mechanics on certain throws, runs when his first option isnt' there but doesn't run all that fast? 

So how is he a projected top 10/15 pick?

Edited by Hunter2_1

16 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

As a 2-3 year guy starting this season I thought he would be capable. The way he is producing and winning with the Saints as their starting QB has shown he is capable of starting and not ruining an otherwise good team. If nothing else, he can be a very good receiver and special teamer in various ways.

Firstly, the weapons on the two teams aren't even remotely comparable. Payton is a great offensive minded coach who's gotten wins out of Teddy Bridgewater as well.

Secondly, he's a 30 year-old, at best, gadget player. He hasn't shown me anything to believe he's a NFL quality passer. 

A very good receiver? He has 28 career receptions? What makes you think he can be a very good WR? 

Using a first round pick + signing Hill to an extension would have been an egregious use of resources.

Derek Carr sucks.

Certainly didn't get any Hurts backlash from me. I'm a big fan.

Teddy Bridgewater is a proven capable starter. What shame is there in admitting Sean Payton got wins out of Bridgewater as if to discredit Taysom Hill? Through four starts as the QB1, Hill has completed 82 of 114 passes, (71.9%), for 834 yards, 4 touchdowns to 2 interceptions, and run for an additional 4 other touchdowns and 209 yards. In those four starts the Saints are 3-1, having lost their latest game by a field goal. Taysom Hill, like Bridgewater, has shown he is not just a gadget player. On a good team, like the Saints are, Hill or Bridgewater could be starters for a season or two at the very least. Which is what I have suggested going back to last year. Getting a capable starter at QB for a first round pick is standard in the NFL and the fact that Hill can actually be used in other important roles makes the value completely justified.

Saying Derek Carr sucks is even less true than saying Hill hasn't proven to be more than a gadget player.

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Payton is a great offensive minded coach who's gotten wins out of Teddy Bridgewater as well.

On one hand you trust Sean Payton as an offensive minded coach and seem to suggest that he deserves all the credit.

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

He hasn't shown me anything to believe he's a NFL quality passer. 

But on the other hand, you don't see Hill as an "NFL quality passer" despite the fact that Payton does and despite the fact that as a starting QB Hill has been effective.

I don't think Carr sucks, I do think Teddy B is a capable starter - but no part of me is remorseful that we don't have Taysom Hill. He's a gadget player that has completed passes in a very very very ultra friendly to passer-system that has Michael Thomas and Kamara as well

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

take all the points in here, but I just think this would be another wasted early pick. Think he's likely a bust.

edit - turns out the points made in here are that he plays against future 9-5 workers, has an easy offensive philosophy to work with, has poor mechanics on certain throws, runs when his first option isnt' there but doesn't run all that fast? 

Every year they need that guy. The guy that gives them many stories to write about. Some times I think some of the idiot GM believe the hype and pick the player, based on the sports guys that know crap.

Three players that back my claim.  Blake Bortles, Danial Jones and Mitch Tribiskey. I laughed when they were picked.  Sukers! Oh ya, Jordan Love ! You kidding me !

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Extremely high upside. He's obviously got a huge arm and elite athleticism. And he's in a class that, other than Lawrence, has no outstanding QB prospects, while there are a lot of QB-needy teams. Years like that are when teams overdraft QBs.

I don't think he's going to necessarily be a bust. But there are a TON of things he needs to work on before I'd feel comfortable putting him on the field. I'd put him on the Colin Kaepernick program - redshirt him as a rookie and only play him in year 2 if it becomes absolutely necessary. 

He's not a guy I'd want on the Patriots unless we had a capable veteran for him to learn under.

8 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

On one hand you trust Sean Payton as an offensive minded coach and seem to suggest that he deserves all the credit.

But on the other hand, you don't see Hill as an "NFL quality passer" despite the fact that Payton does and despite the fact that as a starting QB Hill has been effective.

A guy can be a genius and also extremely arrogant, believing he can turn a scrub like Hill into an NFL starter. It's not rare. In fact, it's too common. 

• Like 2