Week 14 - GDT - Saints (10-2) @ Eagles (3-8-1)

Mid Iowa

I mean Hill definitely has issues, but man I'm worried about our O-line more. While Philly has a talented D-line, Brees is going to struggle if the O-line performed like it did last week. With regards to the Hill INT, reason he threw the bullet pass was due to Peat get beat on pass pro. Ruiz is having a ROUGH rookie season and it seems different position and no offseason has really hurt him. Easton is decent but now has a concussion (another one IIRC). Armstead might take a few weeks to recover from Covid (as seen with other athletes, especially ones who became symptomatic). McCoy and Ram have really been the only consistent linemen we have had through this entire season.

Chiefs have a good D-line, so it's paramount our O-line gets its crap together.

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

I mean Hill definitely has issues, but man I'm worried about our O-line more. While Philly has a talented D-line, Brees is going to struggle if the O-line performed like it did last week. With regards to the Hill INT, reason he threw the bullet pass was due to Peat get beat on pass pro. Ruiz is having a ROUGH rookie season and it seems different position and no offseason has really hurt him. Easton is decent but now has a concussion (another one IIRC). Armstead might take a few weeks to recover from Covid (as seen with other athletes, especially ones who became symptomatic). McCoy and Ram have really been the only consistent linemen we have had through this entire season.

Chiefs have a good D-line, so it's paramount our O-line gets its crap together.

I’m always worried about our oline, it’s only really great when all starters are present and healthy.  Someone goes down, it ****s the whole thing up.  Ruiz is bad, you never know which Peat will show up, and the other backups are terrible.

Yes Brees will struggle behind a bad oline.  Especially at this age, old man Brees is useless behind a turnstile oline.

3 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I’m always worried about our oline, it’s only really great when all starters are present and healthy.  Someone goes down, it ****s the whole thing up.  Ruiz is bad, you never know which Peat will show up, and the other backups are terrible.

Yes Brees will struggle behind a bad oline.  Especially at this age, old man Brees is useless behind a turnstile oline.

None of us have mentioned McCoy. Thank God!!

I certainly haven't hit the panic button yet. We've all been in a cold sweat knowing we'd have a "Saints" type game at some point, and I guess I'm glad it was against the Eagles. If that doesn't light up the class rooms this week, nothing will.

We almost always see a focused game right after a bad game. Well, the timing couldn't be any better.

Hopefully Hill protects the ball and has a little more time, and hopefully we can contain Mahomes. Oh, because we're winning by 2 scores!

Regarding Ruiz. Yes, he's been bad. He was a center at Michigan, why do we have him at RG? Anyway, we just brought back Patrick Omameh who is also a RG, so the writing is on the wall, there.

Easton: his 2nd concussion this season, that's not a good sign. Something's wrong in there if his nugget is that easily scrambled.

Brees: I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to play this coming Sunday. I'm sure we'll know either Friday or Saturday unless we have a mole in the practice facility. Who knows, we may not know until Sunday. Either way, we'll almost certainly see him on Christmas for some redemption over the Vikings.

14 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Regarding Ruiz. Yes, he's been bad. He was a center at Michigan, why do we have him at RG? Anyway, we just brought back Patrick Omameh who is also a RG, so the writing is on the wall, there.

Easton: his 2nd concussion this season, that's not a good sign. Something's wrong in there if his nugget is that easily scrambled.

Brees: I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to play this coming Sunday. I'm sure we'll know either Friday or Saturday unless we have a mole in the practice facility. Who knows, we may not know until Sunday. Either way, we'll almost certainly see him on Christmas for some redemption over the Vikings.

So Payton has said the responsibilities of his C's are quite a bit. That's why we paid premium to trade for Unger back in the day. With no offseason workouts and limited camp, Ruiz honestly couldn't be put in as C and snap to Brees. He took snaps on and off as OG in Michigan, but never fulltime. So I can forgive his struggles (he's also young!).

Omameh is a good get. He's a good interior guy, and can swing out to an OT spot in a pinch. Sucks to hear about Easton, he's been solid when he's healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

None of us have mentioned McCoy. Thank God!!

I certainly haven't hit the panic button yet. We've all been in a cold sweat knowing we'd have a "Saints" type game at some point, and I guess I'm glad it was against the Eagles. If that doesn't light up the class rooms this week, nothing will.

We almost always see a focused game right after a bad game. Well, the timing couldn't be any better.

Hopefully Hill protects the ball and has a little more time, and hopefully we can contain Mahomes. Oh, because we're winning by 2 scores!

Honestly, I'm not in panic mode yet.  This is the record I expected we'd have right now, I only assumed the loss would be one of the Falcons games.  Didn't expect to sweep them.  

I never expected to keep the one seed, so it is what it is.  I do expect to win the division though, and if we can't do that, I might stop watching.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I

Im not all that concerned right now what his potential is, because we need to win games right now.  We’re gonna lose some guys next year, this year is important. We don’t have the luxury of coasting and watching 30 year old QB learn the ropes.

We're 3-1 without Brees and that's no small feat in the NFL with a backup.  I want to win games too, but I'm not exactly hating life right now.  Besides what's the alternative?  Winston?  Ugh, just no.

This offensive line almost killed Brees.  They let down Taysom this game.  I get that Brees has the fastest release probably ever in the NFL, but that's a luxury.  They should be giving Taysom more time.  The offensive line has been terrible in pass protection lately and it really showed up against the Eagles.  Sean Payton is calling guys out by name!  You know it's bad when he does that. 

Did you go watch that play again by the way?  It had zero chance to work with a guy running free on the QB's backside.   Just saying.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saint_James said:

We're 3-1 without Brees and that's no small feat in the NFL with a backup.  I want to win games too, but I'm not exactly hating life right now.  Besides what's the alternative?  Winston?  Ugh, just no.

This offensive line almost killed Brees.  They let down Taysom this game.  I get that Brees has the fastest release probably ever in the NFL, but that's a luxury.  They should be giving Taysom more time.  The offensive line has been terrible in pass protection lately and it really showed up against the Eagles.  Sean Payton is calling guys out by name!  You know it's bad when he does that. 

Did you go watch that play again by the way?  It had zero chance to work with a guy running free on the QB's backside.   Just saying.

I think we're all on board with your first paragraph.

Brees has been so good for so long, we're truly spoiled, and I kinda think the team is, too. To have your bar set so high, for so long, it becomes an expectation, not necessarily an appreciation. Name another team that has had this type of consistency (tenure AND production) at QB play for as long as we have. Maybe the Patriots/Brady. I can't think of another. Anyway, our O-line needs to improve their game. They've not been "great" at the run game, and their pass protection was horrible this last game.

And yeah, that play was blown up from the snap.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 4:50 AM, Jlowe22 said:

I didn’t realize Brooks was such a fumbling machine.  Guess the ints overshadowed it.

Until I saw it listed again, I had forgotten (blocked out) just how frustrating watching Brooks on a weekly basis was lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Until I saw it listed again, I had forgotten (blocked out) just how frustrating watching Brooks on a weekly basis was lol

Sad part is, he was one the best QBs in franchise history before 2006.  

To the Saints fans down on Brees, I think they e really forgotten what it’s like to be **** and have **** for QB.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 11:43 AM, Jlowe22 said:

Sad part is, he was one the best QBs in franchise history before 2006.  

To the Saints fans down on Brees, I think they e really forgotten what it’s like to be **** and have **** for QB.  

Been through Brooks... As well as the Billy Joe twins, John Forcade, Cajun Cannon, Wurrffel, etc, etc.

Brees was a blessing... No doubt about it. Greatest player in franchise history. Still that does not absolve him from criticism as his skills begin to diminish thats the price of extending your career past the point of where you should. Fact is that Brees has had diminishing arm talent over the last few years, he does struggle to push thr ball downfield, he is 42 years old and has battled injuries since turning 40. I can go on and on here but I won't. The thing is, when players like Brady and Bress play as long as they do they actually have 2 different careers. There first 10 years and their second 10 and they need to be evaluated differently. Think about it this way... Remember the things we as Saints fans thought made Brees so special 10 years ago... The top 10 QBs in the NFL are doing those things and more on a weekly basis these days. The game constantly changes as does our view on players. Brees will likley retire the yardage king but do any of us think he will hold that title for long?

Love Brees and everything hes done but I also see him for what he is now and where the game is now... His time has passed, no point holding on when we have such a talented roster thats getting more and more expensive by the day.

5 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Been through Brooks... As well as the Billy Joe twins, John Forcade, Cajun Cannon, Wurrffel, etc, etc.

Brees was a blessing... No doubt about it. Greatest player in franchise history. Still that does not absolve him from criticism as his skills begin to diminish thats the price of extending your career past the point of where you should. Fact is that Brees has had diminishing arm talent over the last few years, he does struggle to push thr ball downfield, he is 42 years old and has battled injuries since turning 40. I can go on and on here but I won't. The thing is, when players like Brady and Bress play as long as they do they actually have 2 different careers. There first 10 years and their second 10 and they need to be evaluated differently. Think about it this way... Remember the things we as Saints fans thought made Brees so special 10 years ago... The top 10 QBs in the NFL are doing those things and more on a weekly basis these days. The game constantly changes as does our view on players. Brees will likley retire the yardage king but do any of us think he will hold that title for long?

Love Brees and everything hes done but I also see him for what he is now and where the game is now... His time has passed, no point holding on when we have such a talented roster thats getting more and more expensive by the day.

Yes, he's old and nearing retirement.  He played at a really high level for a really long time though, and that's something you can't say about very many QBs.  It's unlikely we'll have another run like that any time soon.  

4 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, he's old and nearing retirement.  He played at a really high level for a really long time though, and that's something you can't say about very many QBs.  It's unlikely we'll have another run like that any time soon.  

Completly agree... Hell look at Miami they still looking for their next Marino. Brees impact will be felt within this orginazation for years after he retires, maybe decades. At some point the question will have to answered if the Payton and Brees duo under achived in New Orleans but that will come in time but for Saints fans... True Saints fans Brees gave us something none of us ever thought wed see, he gave us a Superbowl Championship and Payton... He turned our culture from that of the leagues losers to a winning organization with a championship mindset. Saints fans will be in thier debt forever.

20 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Completly agree... Hell look at Miami they still looking for their next Marino. Brees impact will be felt within this orginazation for years after he retires, maybe decades. At some point the question will have to answered if the Payton and Brees duo under achived in New Orleans but that will come in time but for Saints fans... True Saints fans Brees gave us something none of us ever thought wed see, he gave us a Superbowl Championship and Payton... He turned our culture from that of the leagues losers to a winning organization with a championship mindset. Saints fans will be in thier debt forever.

Agreed.  

As far as the question of underachievement, it's a tricky subject.  We've had our chances, but winning even 1 superbowl is incredibly tough.  Hard to say getting a ring at all, especially given our history, is an underachievement.  At the end of the day, it boils down to the fact that yes, we could have won more, but the defense was generally just too bad for too long, and when it all finally came together the second time, Brees was just too old and not going to out-do the young guns.

Not to mention the fact that our postseason luck outside of 2009 has been pretty bad.  That's the way luck goes, but there's no getting around that fact.  I think a stat was that since the realignment, two 13-3 teams have had to play wildcard weekend, the 2011 Saints, and the 2019 Saints.  Also rare, the 11-5 2010 Saints had to travel to play the 7-9 Seahawks.  Hell, we have like at least 4 postseason losses that will live forever in infamy, despite none of the teams beating us even going on to win the superbowl.

But, there's still a chance this year.  If we can somehow get lucky and wind up with the 1 seed, I like our chances.

Edited by Jlowe22