Ebron Options

GetDownandDirty

I know that everyone on here has no faith in Ebron. After the last 2 games, he has under preformed badly. And when Fells or Roberts has come in, they have done a nice job. Why the coaching staff keeps starting Ebron when there is better options, leaves me dumb founded! I don't think benching him does any good, he is damaged goods. I believe cutting him right now is the best option. With teams all over the league losing players on a weekly basis, there's got to be a coaching staff out there who believes that they can turn him around, Giants for an example. And in the case that someone is delusional enough to believe he could help their team & picks him up, wouldn't the lions receive a draft pick as compensation? I'm not sure what they'd get in return, but even a seventh rounder would be better than keeping him. I'll be real surprised if Quinn will allow him to stick around. 

39 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

You don't receive any compensation after releasing a player. You can only get compensation for a player if you trade him or if he leaves as a free agent. Cutting Ebron is the worst option because you end up with nothing. 

I would only argue if he was some kind of distraction it would be beneficial. I hope it doesn't get to that point

The problem is that he doesn't seem to care. It just seems like he never has matured. In all his comments especially after this last week it really has shown. No matter how much coaching or opportunities he has to succeed he won't take it. At this point I don't care what box numbers are or how many +20 yard receptions he gets. I want him to try put in effort play in and out. Block when he's called to block, put effort into running his routs, and don't give that goofy look he gives when he messes up and doesn't catch the ball. 

On 2017-10-10 at 8:08 AM, IDOG_det said:

You don't receive any compensation after releasing a player. You can only get compensation for a player if you trade him or if he leaves as a free agent. Cutting Ebron is the worst option because you end up with nothing. 

If I remember his contract is only guaranteed in event of injury. So they would save some money.

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

If I remember his contract is only guaranteed in event of injury. So they would save some money.

His 5th year option (next year) is guaranteed for injury only, his salary this year is fully guaranteed because it's part of the original rookie contract. They wouldn't save any money by cutting him this year, they could save some money if they cut him next year, although it would be the same amount of money if they were to trade him. $5,194,000 is his cap hit in 2018, which could be useful, however they will already have a significant amount of cap space (about $53 million) with relatively few players to re-sign. That ~$5 million would really just be a luxury to spend somewhere else.

2 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

His 5th year option (next year) is guaranteed for injury only, his salary this year is fully guaranteed because it's part of the original rookie contract. They wouldn't save any money by cutting him this year, they could save some money if they cut him next year, although it would be the same amount of money if they were to trade him. $5,194,000 is his cap hit in 2018, which could be useful, however they will already have a significant amount of cap space (about $53 million) with relatively few players to re-sign. That ~$5 million would really just be a luxury to spend somewhere else.

Thanks for the info.

Oh Eric Ebron;

In a nut shell... occasional highlight play, zero consistency, terrible effort levels seemingly always, injured all the time, and cannot catch.

At this point we should be starting Fells and working in Roberts. I dont thinking cutting him does us much good as injuries will still play a roll in probably all position groups at some point. Rather at least have someone who knows the play book when it happens. 

After the season, see about trading him and release him if we cannot. There are plenty of athletic TEs most years that can be had in the mid-late rounds that will provide us what he does IMO.

Benching him would be great. Let Fells & Roberts handle the work load. But the big problem is, this coaching staff will stick him into the game because they will never admit a player is a bust. With them, I think his 1st round status along with looking good in practice allows them to drink way too much Kool Aid & believe he's going to be a dominate player. That's why I say cut him know. Don't give them a chance to put him in. 

On 10/13/2017 at 4:19 PM, GetDownandDirty said:

Benching him would be great. Let Fells & Roberts handle the work load. But the big problem is, this coaching staff will stick him into the game because they will never admit a player is a bust. With them, I think his 1st round status along with looking good in practice allows them to drink way too much Kool Aid & believe he's going to be a dominate player. That's why I say cut him know. Don't give them a chance to put him in. 

He barely practices. 

This is the first year where Ebron has stopped improving. That's concerning. I've been a defender of his for a long time, but he had been taking steps forward each year. He hasn't so far. If he doesn't turn things around, let him go if the team needs the cap space. 

On 10/10/2017 at 1:48 PM, Lionized said:

The problem is that he doesn't seem to care. It just seems like he never has matured. In all his comments especially after this last week it really has shown. No matter how much coaching or opportunities he has to succeed he won't take it. At this point I don't care what box numbers are or how many +20 yard receptions he gets. I want him to try put in effort play in and out. Block when he's called to block, put effort into running his routs, and don't give that goofy look he gives when he messes up and doesn't catch the ball. 

He's the anti Jarrad Davis

I'm ready to move on from Ebron. Honestly I would be trying like hell to trade him before the deadline for any type of future pick and sign a free agent out there. I don't know what happened to TE Gary Barnidge totally. I know he was once a semi productive TE but I don't know if he's lost a step? Injury? or if he too had drop issues but at this point its clear to me that the offense does actually run better and do better when Fells/Roberts are on the field over Ebron. He's talented but his incosistancy's make him very unreliable and frustrating, enough for me that if I ran things he'd be shipped out for a future pick if someone offered it and we'd used this bye week to bring an veteran FA up to pare on our offense.

Archived