BDL 2020 Divisional Round - #5 Lancaster Werewolves @ #4 Singapore Sentinels

Ragnarok

Who wins?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• #5 Lancaster Werewolves
    • #4 Singapore Sentinels

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2020 at 05:00 AM

Thoughts:

1. I think Lancaster did a really great job recognizing the pass rush would be a problem and adjusting. Getting the ball out quick, especially to the backs, really negates Singapore's biggest strength defensively.

2. Forcing Brady to beat them through the air would be a dicey prospect for most teams, even with his arm declining, but it helps when you have Jalen Ramsey and Jaire Alexander in the secondary. This is about the only team in the playoffs that can get away with that.

3. This was a good defensive plan from Singapore. A bit better talent on the back seven, or maybe more weapons on offense, and I think they could have taken this win.

Lancaster gets my vote.

I had a whole thing written up but the forum ate it. 

I went with Singapore. I think Lancaster chose a poor offensive strategy with a quick passing game. It completely neutralizes the strengths of their best players and isn’t near as effective against strong interior pressure vs edge pressure. Singapore wins in the trenches

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I had a whole thing written up but the forum ate it. 

I went with Singapore. I think Lancaster chose a poor offensive strategy with a quick passing game. It completely neutralizes the strengths of their best players and isn’t near as effective against strong interior pressure vs edge pressure. Singapore wins in the trenches

cats chomp GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Thoughts:

1. I think Lancaster did a really great job recognizing the pass rush would be a problem and adjusting. Getting the ball out quick, especially to the backs, really negates Singapore's biggest strength defensively.

44 minutes ago, Whicker said:

The wildly differing views on gameplans is one of the more interesting parts of this league to me. I have so much fun seeing how everyone views the game. 

I went with Singapore here. Both teams have fantastic DL's, both very good OL's, both a good stable of RB's, both with a dynamic lead WR for their QB to target. I like Lancasters game plan of getting Sanders involved more today, as he's shown this year he's a capable home run hitter out of the backfield, with off the top of my head as an Eagles watcher he's got probably 3 TD runs of 70 yards or more this year. With an OL that good he and Kamara can be a problem. 

My biggest factor is Waller. In a game where he's going to be split out wide often, forcing Bobby Wagner to follow him to the perimeter, he's going to do whatever he wants. Wagner is a great LB, but splitting him out wide to follow Waller around at a 6 inch height disadvantage is going to give Brady chunk plays time and time again. I don't think occasional help from a box safety is enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

My biggest factor is Waller. In a game where he's going to be split out wide often, forcing Bobby Wagner to follow him to the perimeter, he's going to do whatever he wants. Wagner is a great LB, but splitting him out wide to follow Waller around at a 6 inch height disadvantage is going to give Brady chunk plays time and time again. I don't think occasional help from a box safety is enough. 

There is a reason Seattle has drafted so many LBs in the last 2 years. I love Wagner too as he was one of my draft picks before being stolen in RFA year ago. But he has lost a step. He is a good run defender and pass rusher but his coverage skills have diminished.

Edited by SirA1

I want to ding Sing for starting Lonnie at CB...but Diontae and Jonnu have been essentially useless the past few weeks and Pittman hasn't been a world beater either.  Both teams are able to get a fair amount of pressure this game, but I think Keenan, Beasley, and Waller are all able to get open quick enough for Brady to get the win.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I want to ding Sing for starting Lonnie at CB...but Diontae and Jonnu have been essentially useless the past few weeks and Pittman hasn't been a world beater either.  Both teams are able to get a fair amount of pressure this game, but I think Keenan, Beasley, and Waller are all able to get open quick enough for Brady to get the win.

Trust me I didn't want to either but all my other guys have stopped getting snaps or are injured/out. 

This was super tough. Diontae Johnson is struggling with drops and I can't help but feel he'd produce a costly one or two here. Evans is still great, but he's very much a deep threat and the short passing game doesn't suit him while I still want to see more out of Pittman. Obviously Kamara can generate a lot of offense on his own, and that offensive line will hold up better than just about anyone elses against that ferocious Singapore D.

Singapore i think struggles offensively too, more because of the quality of Lancaster's D than anything else. That's sick from top to bottom and has legitimately 5 all-pro caliber players in it. With that said and as others have pointed out, Waller can definitely have some success against Wagner and I like Beasley to do a job from the slot as he's been money this year. Plus I do like getting Shenault involved. Personally I'd go with Hunt over CEH, he's just a better back right now but I don't think it's fatal.

I just can't look past that Singapore pass-rush in this one. I know Lancaster went for a short passing game, but there's a point where you can bring guys forward and adjust for it, but I don't think you can really adjust for how dominant Singapore's DL was this week. 

Super, super tough but a little more faith in the surer-handed Singapore receivers does it for me. Singapore 20-17 Lancaster in an epic.

2 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

I've gone back and forth on this, but the most distinctive advantage for either team is Waller in the passing game, and I think he gets Sing the win.

I agree with this statement. I will add that I also think the Singapore pass rush across the board has an ability to frustrate Russell Wilson and the under utilization of Alvin Kamara in the passing game sparks an upset for a desperate Singapore team.