620?cb=20181109210945

Sam Darnold and the Jets offense in 2020

STMwdkRmSFQyVjJSbE1jNjZHNU4uanBn.jpg

Fast Forward to End of Season

firegase.png

BAD MAN

Head Coach

AR-312039986.jpg&updated=202012030142&Ma

Until we hear an actual no I am going with Matt Campbell as my guy.  This is going to be a young team with the 1st overall pick, multiple picks, new QB, etc. and I think that plus a fat check is enough to lure him to the NFL ranks. I don’t have the slightest clue who his coordinators will be but this guy is a leader and I want him to pick whoever he feels would be best. 

Resign

Marcus-Maye.jpg?fit=540,405&ssl=1

Marcus Maye- we need a team leader, he hasn’t earned a huge ticket so we can lock him up for a good price

Neville Hewitt- good depth to have

Brian Poole- important slot CB, will be a big piece moving forward

Jeff or Vyncint Smith

Tarell Basham

Let Walk/Cut

f3578aa3bacd4929af2a3c4c70b434cf.jpg?w=1

Henry Anderson

Breshad Perriman- he’s a good player but I want guys who compete harder and who are healthy

Bradley MacDougald- anyone remember he exists? Lol

Jordan Jenkins

Free Agents

usa_today_13592014.0.jpg

Joe Thuney LG- JD is ready and willing to pay.  We have solid young pieces, now we grab a top of the line interior OL.

Allen Robinson WR- still at a safe age, he’s a reliable target and is putting up big numbers with brutal QB play.  He will be excited for the young Lawrence to toss his way.

Ronald Darby CB- not going to lie, just picking a random solid CB in free agency who may take a modest contract.  I can’t expect us to keep landing guys just because we have money

Jamaal Williams RB- He will be the odd man out in Green Bay and wants a shot to start somewhere.  He has never been given a chance for full time duty and he has the ability to catch.

Jabaal Sheard DE- We need insurance for the switch to a 4 man front but focusing on getting talent in the draft.  Sheard stays in NY.

Overall: brought in solid pieces without spending every last dollar and without being unrealistic.

Trade

Sam-Darnold.jpg

-New York Jets trade Sam Darnold to Chicago Bears for 3rd round pick plus future conditional based on if he resigns.  The Bears are in no man’s land.  Not high enough to grab a top guy.  They take Sam as a reclamation project at a potentially low cost, while keeping high picks to add talent at RB and WR.  And if he works out then it’s worth the future conditional pick.  JD gambles and likes his chances with the 2022 pick.

-The New York Jets trade Seattle’s 1st round pick to Pittsburgh Steelers for 1st round pick, 4th round pick and 6th round pick.  Pittsburgh jumps up to take a QB and after a fairly successful first draft, JD wants a chance to take more swings without losing too much talent.  The drop off is only a few picks and with the amount of needs the Jets have they can afford to move pack.

Draft

1(1)- Trevor Lawrence QB, Clemson

e659fb22-78a7-4cfd-b6c1-511e4fed9919-AP2

-This is a franchise altering pick.  We are not just drafting a QB 1st overall.  He is going to be the face of a new era.  One where we finally have a leader at coach, we finally have a QB, we finally get with the times and build a team the right way.  Gone are the days of loading up on DL and taking BPA.  We are going to throw often and we are going to throw well.  It's time to start attacking opposing defenses and stretching the field.

1(31)- Pat Freirmuth TE, Penn State

IMG_CottonBowl040.JPG_3_1_TVHMF5CK_L5403

-To me this is a Quarterbacks best friend.  He is a fantastic route runner, he can block and he is physical.  Lawrence will have a field day with him down the middle of the field and he's a great red zone target.  I understand most want a WR here but I stand my ground that Pat F will have a bigger impact than a #4 WR.  If we are buying a WR in Free Agency then we need to spread resources.

2(1)- Patrick Jones II DE, Pittsburgh

IMG_20200930_145116.0.jpg

-We find him in the 2nd round because he isn't the most explosive off the edge and many may view him as a jack of all trades.  Very good with his array of pass rush moves, which I find to be important, but does not have an elite move.  I think he's all around a great rusher and run defender and I believe is a team captain.  He is getting more attention this season which has allowed Weaver to breakout. The one thing I do like is when he does pin his ears back on 3rd down he can turn it on.  The big step towards moving to a 4 man front.

3(1)- Kadarius Toney WR, Florida

6b99258ee57e49beadc37f46e8fb6f65.jpg?w=1

-We have two big, physical receivers.  We have a great slot receiver.  We have a match up problem and great route runner at TE.  The missing piece is the explosive WR.  Whoever we have at OC will have a field day.  Even if he doesn't get a lot of time as a rookie, he can stretch the field and will make an impact.  For those who think we should take a WR higher then we shouldn't be getting a WR of AR's quality.  Teams don't run 4 WRs.

3(14)- D.J. Daniel CB, Georgia

D.J.-Daniel-by-Curtis-Compton-AJC_rtdmzu

-I have always liked SEC corners and their level of competition.  Good size and frame.  I still think it's our scheme and idiot players, not necessarily the CB position, that is killing us.  I think getting Poole back, Hall experience, Darby/FA then a 3rd/4th rounder at CB is enough for now.  We can't fix everything.

3(26)- Jacoby Stevens Hybrid, LSU

Stevens_JaCoby_6513.jpg

-Unless a team falls in love with him, he can be going anywhere Day 3.  I love him as a weapon on defense.  He can blitz and I think we can convert him into a cover LB with his size and safety skills.  Something we sorely lack! This will also allow both Maye and Davis to play off the ball where they are better suited.

4(1)- James Empey C, BYU

1040892230.jpg.0.jpg

-One of the top pass blockers in the country but is flying under the radar at BYU.

4(31)- Patrick Johnson DE, Tulane

Tulane-Patrick-Johnson-sack-ECU.jpg

-Explosive edge rusher who will compliment Jones well.  Only problem is if he blows up the combine he may go earlier.

5(1)- Rhamondre Stevenson RB, Oklahoma

rhamondre-stevenson---shirt.webp

-First game backs rips off 3 TDs then pulls up his jersey "IM BACK." Big and powerful but after dropping weight has a little speed to his game.  Flying under the radar now and would not be surprised if he goes much higher. 

5(19)- Garret Wallow LB, TCU

Garret_Wallow_2.jpg?w=1754&ssl=1

-Speedy LB who looks like he can play in coverage and rush the passer.  Great tackler as well.  LOVE the neck pad for any LB.

6. Javon McKinley WR, Notre Dame

7. Brett Cimiglia K, Tennessee

7. Derek Kerstetter OL, Texas

Rounding out the draft there.

QB: Lawrence

RB: Williams, Perine, Johnson, Stevenson

WR: Robinson, Cager

LT: Becton

LG: Thuney

😄 McGovern

RG: Elflein

RT: Fant

TE: Freirmuth, Herndon, Griffin

WR: Mims, Smith

Slot: Crowder, Berrios, Toney

DE: Jones II, Basham, Malone

DT: Q, JFM

DT: Foley, Shepherd

DE: Sheard, Zuniga, Huff

LB: Mosley, Stevens, Cashman, Hewitt, Wallow

CB: Hall, Jackson

S: Maye

S: Davis

CB: Darby, Daniel

Slot: Poole, Austin

We are creating a new culture and identity here.  We will be a team that can beat you through the air.  We will be able to rush the passer and have faster, rangy guys in coverage.  That alone will be tremendous going forward.  If we make the correct moves we have the chance to blow the door in 2021 and have an eye opening turn around.

• Like 2

Like what you did especially in FA.  I like the draft especially the Jones pick. If he does well at the combine, he may not be there and I would feel better getting him with Seattle’s first. I can see Belichick all over him though.

If we pass on Jones in the first, I would rather an iOL like Humphrey or Davis if available. I am just not comfortable with Elflein ability to stay healthy or McGoverns reemergence.

Instead of a Stevens in the third, what about Jarrett Patterson the Buffalo RB. I watched his game this week and he is good. I can actually see him being the best RB in this class. To me it is low risk high reward pick.

Overall, good job.