Guenther fired

beardown3231

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Shows how good the offense has been that we’re still sitting with a winning record despite this putrid defensive play.

Delighted with this news. Kinda surprised as well, although I did say it wouldn’t happen unless there was a defensive collapse and the past two games can probably count as that. We’ve been absolutely abused on the ground, one of them against a winless team with no-mark RBs running all over us.

A move which is long overdue, and whilst I know it doesn’t immediately address the lack of talent, his scheme clearly wasn’t putting guys in a place to succeed. Hopefully Marinelli steadies the ship and gives us a chance to win out, and then we can actually look to fix this mess in the off-season.

Edited by Nightmare

Quick fixes that Marinelli COULD make:

Move Joyner to FS.

Give Isaiah Johnson starting time over Lawson.

Play more 4-3 under fronts when in base and send more nickel-based run blitzes.

Blitz Abram constantly and play him like Jamal Adams.

Get Nassib back in the rotation.

Play more press man in pressure situations.

START Mo Hurst.

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Thank God he’s gone..... he was horrible.  Straight trash.  His scheme was so stale and out of date and he lacked the intelligence to adapt to the times.  The guy could be a good LBs coach again but that’s it.  I don’t think Marinelli is a long term answer, and in fact he better not be, but he’s good enough to carry us through the rest of the season as we cling onto a low percentage chance of making the playoffs.  But we need a young innovative defensive mind who can develop new schemes and coverages for the changing NFL.  You simply can’t use 10-15 year old schemes.  They’ve been figured out a long time ago and won’t work in today’s advance offensive age.  It’s like using a 15yr old Computer at work.

I don’t want another retread DC who failed somewhere else and will bring the same failed system here.

So much hyberbole here. Please break down for us how his scheme was out of date and 10-15 years old. His scheme is the same scheme as used by his mentor Mike Zimmer and others. Zimmer still known as elite level defensive coach.

The Raiders have been a defensively void for 18 years and this season is no exception. Fans trying to justify high draft picks and FA spending as talent are misguided. These guys can't get off blocks, rarely win their one on one matchups. Can't pressure the QB. You've got guys like Eric Harris as your last line of defense. 

Pinning the blame all on Guenther and trying to sell his schemes as out dated and not being able to work in today's game is just nonsense. 

Did he need to go, yes. But let's stop acting like a new DC is going to change 18 years of mediocre Raider defenses.

Happened to late for it to impact this season. Didn’t see the progress you would want from the  young guys and the FA that were brought in all looked bad. Players have to take ownership of that as well, but coaching matters and getting put in a good position to succeed matters as well and PG failed to do that every year. 

Give me R. Morris. 

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Names to watch with Gruden ties who I'd like to see:

Raheem Morris - if not retained in Atlanta

Gus Bradley - Assuming the Chargers staff is let go

Both former HC's, with a track record of success as defensive coordinators.

Bradley's scheme is super complex if I remember coorectly, so that could mean another lost year...

He should of been fired at the bye week. Firing him at this point of the season is virtually useless and scapegoating 

Time for Gruden to go. He has not preformed like a 100 million coach. We shown flashes but the team under Gruden has a ceiling

The fact we can't get Ruggs involved in the offense in more creative ways is bothersome. Whether it is the QB, play caller or head coach, the blame falls on someone.

38 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Bradley's scheme is super complex if I remember coorectly, so that could mean another lost year...

Are we that soft that they can't run a complex system? Because Bradley has a hell of a unit in San Diego right now with that system.

If the scheme is "to complex" then you have the wrong players. 

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Are we that soft that they can't run a complex system? Because Bradley has a hell of a unit in San Diego right now with that system.

If the scheme is "to complex" then you have the wrong players. 

I think he was saying that it's a lost year cause the players will have to learn it and adjust to it. Just how people are giving ruggs a pass cause how complex gruden system is. Or how it took carr 3 years to master it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

I think he was saying that it's a lost year cause the players will have to learn it and adjust to it. Just how people are giving ruggs a pass cause how complex gruden system is. Or how it took carr 3 years to master it. 

I wouldn't pass on Bradley because of such stuff