2021 Draft

LionArkie

I just did a mock draft on pff.com's mock draft simulator. I ended up getting

round 1 - Micah Parsons LB PSU

round 2 - Teveon Moehrig S TCU

round 3 - Aidan Hutchinson DE

Now, I had a couple of tough decisions to make.

Decision 1 - Jamaar Chase and Micah Parsons fell to 13.

Decision 2 - Patrick Surtain II fell to the second round

Which leads me to my question. If Chase and Parsons fell to 13, what would you take?  If you don't like these prospects let's go a different route. Your #1 receiver and your #1 LB on your board fell to you at 13 and they are ranked within 1 spot of each other on the big board, which way would you go?

Second question, if a top ranked cb fell to you in the second with a mid 1st round grade fell to you in the draft would you take him? I struggled with this one as I do believe in taking top talent in the draft, especially on defense.

The reason Parsons and chase fell is there were 4 qb taken in the top 5 and the two wr from Alabama were taken ahead of chase.

Edited by LionArkie

I certainly don't mind the Parsons pick (as a prospect, questions about his character/background though). The defense has been playing on fumes as of late and it needs a much more dramatic overhaul IMO. While Oruwariye has really come into his own and Okudah should develop, we've seen the secondary just get shredded due to poor depth. Trufant has been battling injuries and I don't expect him to be back. Coleman is our 3rd CB and he might not even be back next year. We all know that these guys take some time to develop so we could have  a really good, deep secondary by the time we address other parts of the roster with more immediate impacts. 

Parsons and Surtain make a lot of sense. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I certainly don't mind the Parsons pick (as a prospect, questions about his character/background though). The defense has been playing on fumes as of late and it needs a much more dramatic overhaul IMO. While Oruwariye has really come into his own and Okudah should develop, we've seen the secondary just get shredded due to poor depth. Trufant has been battling injuries and I don't expect him to be back. Coleman is our 3rd CB and he might not even be back next year. We all know that these guys take some time to develop so we could have  a really good, deep secondary by the time we address other parts of the roster with more immediate impacts. 

Parsons and Surtain make a lot of sense. 

Exactly my feelings.  I like Chase but Parsons would have the most impact IMO.  Worst case KG is franchised so we only need to sign one WR and can bring Jones back or any of the mid level #2/3s on the market this year.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Exactly my feelings.  I like Chase but Parsons would have the most impact IMO.  Worst case KG is franchised so we only need to sign one WR and can bring Jones back or any of the mid level #2/3s on the market this year.  

Agreed. I think KG is going to be franchised and he has every reason to play. He isn't a proven commodity like De'Andre Hopkins. If he wants that top dollar he's going to need to put more on tape. Bring back Marvin. Add another slot guy, another FA and a 3rd or 4th round guy. Assuming that Stafford is back at QB, there's enough there to run a decent offense. Offense hasn't really been the issue or at least isn't the biggest issue on the team. 

Pairing Parsons with Jamie Collins and a FA LB, we should see an instant upgrade in the overall LB group. Add some help on the defensive line and we have the foundations to build a really nice defense. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Defence, defence, defence. Now that I have that out of my system.

Without free agency completed its tough. WR is an issue but there are solutions some of which have already been listed. Tag KG, sign Fuller, trades. Lots of options.

The Lions drastically need a talent infusion on defence.

This is exactly the reason I drafted the way I did as this is my belief as well. I really didn't struggle that much with Parsons and Chase, but that second round pick gave me issues. I could see an argument being made that we need WR, I just hate picking them when we need so much on D.

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

This is exactly the reason I drafted the way I did as this is my belief as well. I really didn't struggle that much with Parsons and Chase, but that second round pick gave me issues. I could see an argument being made that we need WR, I just hate picking them when we need so much on D.

I think we need a WR but the FA market and 3-6th rd WRs can actually be quite successful. If we are sitting at 10 and there is not a defensive player worth taking than I might take Chase or Waddle, but would try to move down first and add an extra 2nd/3rd and take Moses or a lower graded DE still.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think we need a WR but the FA market and 3-6th rd WRs can actually be quite successful. If we are sitting at 10 and there is not a defensive player worth taking than I might take Chase or Waddle, but would try to move down first and add an extra 2nd/3rd and take Moses or a lower graded DE still.  

What do you think about Romeo Okwara? I can't imagine that we would pay him and draft someone high while keeping Flowers on the roster. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

What do you think about Romeo Okwara? I can't imagine that we would pay him and draft someone high while keeping Flowers on the roster. 

I feel like he is solid but will completely depend on what he wants financially.  Would he take a discount to stay and play with his brother?  I would like to keep him around but I dont think he is a priority if he becomes expensive. 

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I feel like he is solid but will completely depend on what he wants financially.  Would he take a discount to stay and play with his brother?  I would like to keep him around but I dont think he is a priority if he becomes expensive. 

Spotrac has a projection of $8M for Leonard Williams, who has produced comparable but slightly better numbers (43 tackles vs 37 for RO; 9 sacks vs 7 for RO; 24 QBHits vs 16 for RO; 0 FF vs 2 for RO). Would you be good with a 3 year x $8M deal?

34 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Spotrac has a projection of $8M for Leonard Williams, who has produced comparable but slightly better numbers (43 tackles vs 37 for RO; 9 sacks vs 7 for RO; 24 QBHits vs 16 for RO; 0 FF vs 2 for RO). Would you be good with a 3 year x $8M deal?

I'd rather have Leonard Williams.  I think Okwara is a 5M a year kind of player.  I think its beyond his numbers and his overall impact which is not consistent.  I'd rather pay Williams 8/9 than pay Okwara 7.  

Also PFF has Williams as a 79.8 and Okwara at a 60.9.  So their thoughts match mine and I will assume Williams gets around 10.