MVS Appreciation Thread

25 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Maybe Gute and MLF could see his potential (and he might be just scratching the surface) and this is why they didn't reach for a WR last spring?  

I like some of our guys like MVS, but there sure were a few WRs that went near our pick last spring that sure don’t look like they were reaches.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I like some of our guys like MVS, but there sure were a few WRs that went near our pick last spring that sure don’t look like they were reaches.

All of the WRs worth a first round pick were gone when it got close to our pick.  Would Higgins and/or Pittman had been reaches late in the first?  I don't know but by the time our 2nd round pick came up there really wasn't a WR that had value there.  It is too bad Dillon missed so many games with COVID and Deguara got hurt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_NFL_Draft

22 minutes ago, Pugger said:

All of the WRs worth a first round pick were gone when it got close to our pick.  Would Higgins and/or Pittman had been reaches late in the first?  I don't know but by the time our 2nd round pick came up there really wasn't a WR that had value there.  It is too bad Dillon missed so many games with COVID and Deguara got hurt.

We traded up. One spot from the ASU WR and Jefferson went nearby. I’m not saying I wanted to but they were attainable, if you wanted them enough

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

I've always wondered what would have happened had Claypool made it to 62. However, I think you more or less look at pick 94 because you have a physical WR in Bryan Edwards who went a bit earlier than expected a 81 to the Raiders and then Baltimore kinda reaching on their RS at 92. Then you look at who's left after that and every last one of them has some MAJOR flaw on their scouting report. Personally, I still think we reached in the 3rd on a guy we could've had in the 5th or 6th round; but the reach is there because we gave up our 4th. If we stand pat instead of trading up, that leaves us with pick 136 OR we can use that 4th or, more likely, a 5th to trade up in the 2nd round to grab a Chase Claypool, Laviska Shenault, or maybe even Mims; personally, I think Pittman was an incredible reach. 

Without diving into my opinion on Jordan Love, I hated trading up for him rather than picking him; especially when we've historically done well in recent years in the 4th round, where we could have chosen any of the following players that could have improved the team NOW(or in 2021) rather than LATER at picks 94 and 136 respectively:

Malik Harrison, ILB
Saadiq Charles, OT
Charlie Heck, OT
Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR
Rashard Lawrence, IDL
L'Jarius Sneed, DB
Tyler Johnson, WR
Shaquille Quarterman, ILB

I think if you've got both pick 94 and 136, you select someone from the list above at 94(most likely Harrison, Charles, and Lawrence), and then grab Deguara at 136 if you DON'T pick him at 94. I don't hate the Deguara pick despite it being an incredible reach, but I do hate WHERE he was picked with giving up the 136, which put us in that position TBH.

Also, anyone else remember how long it took Davante Adams to develop....Jordy....James Jones?

Edited by Joe
41 minutes ago, Joe said:

I've always wondered what would have happened had Claypool made it to 62.

Also, anyone else remember how long it took Davante Adams to develop....Jordy....James Jones?

There was some smoke regarding Claypool to the Packers.  He certainly has had a good season.

MVS is taking time to develop.  And that is okay.  He is the classic deep threat WR.  We just wish that he could get that catch percentage up just a little bit.  

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

There was some smoke regarding Claypool to the Packers.  He certainly has had a good season.

MVS is taking time to develop.  And that is okay.  He is the classic deep threat WR.  We just wish that he could get that catch percentage up just a little bit.  

All I want from him is to continue to catch the easy ones.  He can still be 50/50 on the longer throws.  He doesn't need to be near "star" receivers in catch percentage, if we are going to use him deep.  But he does need to take better care of those easy ones.

And still, he's a guy I'd be really nervous about with a larger second contract.

• Like 2

As a third WR, MVS is a nice piece (legit deep threat to keep the defense honest, can make some things happen).

The biggest issue I have with him, is more of an organizational roster construction thing. He's been thrust into a #1/2 spot at times due to injuries/poor depth and wasn't that guy.  How I see it:

-If MVS is your #3 WR like this year (when everyone is healthy), you're fine

-With any injury, MVS at #2 makes me uneasy, especially considering the remaining guys at WR on the roster are practice squad caliber. 

In an ideal world, we'd have at least 1 NFL body behind MVS so the drop off if there is any injury isn't to a practice squad player.

• Like 1
On 12/15/2020 at 9:59 PM, Joe said:

A friend of mine brought up his thread from a few years ago of "ugh, ANOTHER game with drops by Adams, can we cut this guy please, he's terrible." I know many people hated him in 2015; personally, I was found Richard Rodgers' regression much more disappointing. 

Jordy and Jones went along at the same pace; I honestly felt Jones was the better player up until Jordy became incandescent in 2011 and established himself as a clear top WR; Jones kept trucking along as a serviceable 2/excellent 3 for his career but also had his growing pains - his worst catch rate was 51% in '09 so I'm thinking that's the year he kept dropping deep passes and left like 200 yds and 3 or 4 tds on the field. 

#2 Receivers by yardage in the NFC (bold indicates more receiving yards than MVS):

Bears: Darnell Mooney

Lions: Danny Amendola

Vikings: Adam Thielen (4/64 contract)

Saints: Emmanuel Sanders

Falcons: Julio Jones (3/66 contact) 

Bucs: Chris Godwin

Panthers: DJ Moore (1st round pick)

Cardinals: Christian Kirk

49ers: Kendrick Bourne

Rams: Robert Woods (4/65 contract)

Seahawks: Tyler Lockett (3/31 contract)

Giants: Sterling Sheppard

Cowboys: Ceedee Lamb (1st round pick)

Washington: Cam Sims

Philadelphia: Greg Ward

In conclusion MVS is the best cheap #2 WR by production in the NFC. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

#2 Receivers by yardage in the NFC (bold indicates more receiving yards than MVS):

Bears: Darnell Mooney

Lions: Danny Amendola

Vikings: Adam Thielen (4/64 contract)

Saints: Emmanuel Sanders

Falcons: Julio Jones (3/66 contact) 

Bucs: Chris Godwin

Panthers: DJ Moore (1st round pick)

Cardinals: Christian Kirk

49ers: Kendrick Bourne

Rams: Robert Woods (4/65 contract)

Seahawks: Tyler Lockett (3/31 contract)

Giants: Sterling Sheppard

Cowboys: Ceedee Lamb (1st round pick)

Washington: Cam Sims

Philadelphia: Greg Ward

In conclusion MVS is the best cheap #2 WR by production in the NFC. 

If you judge by looking solely at production, you are spot on.  Many will say as you have, what else do you want?  I've been hard on MVS and he's showing me more each week.  I'm looking for the must catch/don't drop reception that doesn't cost the Packers a game.  I'm looking for somebody Rodgers can trust to not drop a ball that wins them a game.  IF he can do that, keeps improving and shows that "can catch the ball" consistency,  that #2 could be a reality.       

• Like 1