2020 GDT Week #15 Steelers @ Bengals

Steeler Hitman

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Ben needs to retire. 1-13 on passes over 10 yards. 

Here’s the thing about that, the team is set up to be a contender right now bc of the young talent at the skill positions on offense and bc of the talent on the D; they need a vet QB to lead this team. Ben is basically how Peyton Manning was for the Broncos after Peyton returned from his neck surgery. 

Ben retiring doesn’t make the Steelers better IMO, unless Dallas doesn’t franchise Dak again and then the Steelers sign Dak to be their starting QB. I guess there’s a chance the Lions trade Matt Stafford and start over at QB.

Also, Garopolo is a FA, but if the 49ers aren’t going to re-sign or franchise him, I think he goes back to the Patriots bc Belicheck wanted Jimmy G to take over for Tom 3 years ago.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I disagree @turtle28 that those are the only options right now.  Winston, Dalton, Newton are FA's who could be brought in (we can't afford Dak).  Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Sam Darnold, Carson Wentz, Gardner Minshew could all be had via trade.  Heck even beyond that, there's the option of trade a bunch of picks for Trask in the draft, pour some resources into signing players outside of that and say we're set like some other teams do. To me that's 9 options out there that would be an improvement over the current situation.

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I disagree @turtle28 that those are the only options right now.  Winston, Dalton, Newton are FA's who could be brought in (we can't afford Dak).  Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Sam Darnold, Carson Wentz, Gardner Minshew could all be had via trade.  Heck even beyond that, there's the option of trade a bunch of picks for Trask in the draft, pour some resources into signing players outside of that and say we're set like some other teams do. To me that's 9 options out there that would be an improvement over the current situation.

No matter what we do, it needs to be without Ben....but it won't be.

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

No matter what we do, it needs to be without Ben....but it won't be.

I wouldn't take this attitude towards it already TBH.  Just because Ben's camp said last night that he wants to come back doesn't mean that's what's going to happen.  The documentary honestly made it sound like if his elbow didn't get injured last year that it could have been his final year.  On top of that the FO has gotten guys that are physically done to retire before.  

So he might have that feeling like he can dictate the situation.  But the team holds all the cars.

So let's just make some assumption type stuff here:

~ Ben retires/cut.  $22mil in dead money but $19mil in cap savings.

~ Pouncey retires.  $6.45mil in dead money but $8mil in cap savings.

~ The following things could happen: Ebron Cut ($6mil in cap savings); Drop Vance's option but resign him ($5.2mil in cap savings but reusing some of it in a new contract); Extend and restructure Haden (~$7mil in cap savings); Extend and restructure Nelson (~$6mil in savings).

All of that combined is $48million in savings.

Into that I would try to trade for Stafford.  Sign Cam Robinson to a big LT contract.  Try to get OC Chase Roullier.  Let Bud, Cam Sutton, and Juju walk.  Bring back Mike Hilton.  Hopefully it's something like 2 2nds for Matt Stafford, so we can then use a first on Travis Etienne at RB, and BC TE Hunter Long in the 3rd.

2021 offense in this scenario:

QB - Matt Stafford

RB - Travis Etienne, Benny Snell, Anthony McFarland

TE - Vance McDonald, Hunter Long

WR - Chase Claypool, James Washington, Diontae Johnson, Ray Ray McCloud

OL - Robinson = Dodson = Roullier = DDC = Okorafor; Banner - Swing Tackle; Haussner IOL swing guy.

DL - Heyward = Alualu = Tuitt; Buggs - swing guy

EDGE - Watt = Hightower; Ola - swing guy

ILB - Bush = Williams; Spillane - top backup, Marcus Allen - dimebacker (BTW he's looked decent out there)

CB - Nelson = Haden = Hilton; Lane - outside backup.  Draft a backup NCB (Hilton seems to get hurt all the time)

S - Edmunds = Fitzpatrick; Davis - 3 safety sets/backup

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I wouldn't take this attitude towards it already TBH.  Just because Ben's camp said last night that he wants to come back doesn't mean that's what's going to happen.  The documentary honestly made it sound like if his elbow didn't get injured last year that it could have been his final year.  On top of that the FO has gotten guys that are physically done to retire before.  

So he might have that feeling like he can dictate the situation.  But the team holds all the cars.

~ The following things could happen: Ebron Cut ($6mil in cap savings); Drop Vance's option but resign him ($5.2mil in cap savings but reusing some of it in a new contract); Extend and restructure Haden (~$7mil in cap savings); Extend and restructure Nelson (~$6mil in savings).

Into that I would try to trade for Stafford.  Sign Cam Robinson to a big LT contract.  Try to get OC Chase Roullier.  Let Bud, Cam Sutton, and Juju walk.  Bring back Mike Hilton.  Hopefully it's something like 2 2nds for Matt Stafford, so we can then use a first on Travis Etienne at RB, and BC TE Hunter Long in the 3rd.

QB - Matt Stafford

OL - Robinson = Dodson = Roullier = DDC = Okorafor; Banner - Swing Tackle; Haussner IOL swing guy.

ILB - Bush = Williams; Spillane - top backup, Marcus Allen - dimebacker (BTW he's looked decent out there)

CB - Nelson = Haden = Hilton; Lane - outside backup.  Draft a backup NCB (Hilton seems to get hurt all the time)

I like where your head is at.

Also...and I’m gonna go here with it...anyone that says Juju is the biggest embarrassment to the Steelers franchise while being mum on how embarrassing it was for the franchise to deal with Bens accident and two rape accusations need to loose their job. (Looks at Mark Madden)

42 minutes ago, warfelg said:

QB - Matt Stafford

Nice work, War. I am on board. 

I will add that I am kinda going back and forth on, if we move away from Ben, whether to bring in a higher power guy like Stafford or to try to completely (read: almost completely) retain the defense and have someone like Minshew on a really low dollar and throw all draft assets at the O for 1 year. Either getting back both Hilton and Sutton or finding a way to keep Dupree and Sutton. 

I have really been impressed by Minshew. Year 1 to year 2 is usually jump year for QB's and his completion percentage took a nice jump (completed 75% of his passes against a Ravens) and doesnt turn the football over at the rate I would think a young guy would, especially as a young guy I see more as a gun slinger who will take risks. 

u know..looking back the steelers have no problem cutting legends when the time was ready

both Hines ward and troy were not ready to retire before the steelers cut them. I think they officially retired, but reports say they still wanted to play. I think that's what can happen with Ben. He'll still want to play, but behind the scenes the steelers will tell him it won't be here and he'll officially retire a few weeks later.

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Also...and I’m gonna go here with it...anyone that says Juju is the biggest embarrassment to the Steelers franchise while being mum on how embarrassing it was for the franchise to deal with Bens accident and two rape accusations need to loose their job. (Looks at Mark Madden)

none of that should be tolerated or even happen. Colbert and tomlin take the blame here

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Winston

Nope

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Dalton,

nope

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Newton

NOPE!

get the right QB (Stafford only)  that will be here for another 4+ years and the only one would be Stafford. He is tough and that alone is what this team needs since it is lacking that attitude.  Don't waste time with trying out various QB's either, that ship has sailed, did from 1984-2004,  it sank and is not to be revisited.  

Besides being tough as nails, Stafford is arguably as good as any QB in the game at rallying the team from a deficit to win in the 4th quarter. That alone can win a few important close games. Thats him with the Lions, good WR's but they never had the defence we have which can help in rally's too.

if we go winless the rest of the way, we'll be picking around 22-24 in the draft. with all the comp pics we'll get in 2022. we could have the ammo to trade up 8-10 spots to land our QB of the future if he's on the board. its gonna be interesting offseason

Edited by August4th

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

u know..looking back the steelers have no problem cutting legends when the time was ready

both Hines ward and troy were not ready to retire before the steelers cut them. I think they officially retired, but reports say they still wanted to play. I think that's what can happen with Ben. He'll still want to play, but behind the scenes the steelers will tell him it won't be here and he'll officially retire a few weeks later.

Troy was the greatest of them all and look what happened. Woodson, Lloyd, Faneca none of which had the off field issues or called out teammates to the press or coaches for that matter. 

The bold is exactly what I see happening  or should happen. Colbert however, is the issue, so with him here I could see Ben getting a new deal!  If the bold happnes, perfect. Ben got who he wanted to run HIS offence, failed and that's it, thanks but no thanks. He had his way with everything , now time to move on. 

Johnson needs to be traded, he gets more targets than anyone, Bens AB for 2020 and he drops more than anyone by far.  He needs to be replaced, never keep a WR that can't catch any more  than a LT that can't pass protect or a LB that can't tackle. Just move on.  Even if he was a RD1 or RD2 pick.... remember all the failed WR's we had before Sweed, Coates etc....

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

if we go winless the rest of the way, we'll be picking around 23/24 in the draft. with all the comp pics we'll get in 2022. we could have the ammo to trade up 8-10 spots to land our QB of the future if he's on the board. its gonna be interesting offseason

If colbert is here, it will be a terrible offseason. Defence will be reduced because ben will get a new deal and fichner will still be here. 

Darn, we are 40 yards from being the worst rushing team in the league! I want this offence again next year , just execute and less drops, everything will be good no worries