2020 GDT Week #15 Steelers @ Bengals

Steeler Hitman

11 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

At some point, I see someone on defense snapping on this offense. Even minus Bush and Dupree, they are the better unit by a wide, wide margin. 

I would love to see TJ Watt come off the field and just scream at Roethlisberger and the offense to do something after they get another hold when the offense goes 3-0 early in the game. 

It would be good to see. Over the years there have been teams that were lopsided like this, yet they remain composed.  I would  like the team to turn it around but a key defender turning anger to the offence won't make much of a difference. It will probably take a severe loss , like 5 TO's and a blowout with no offence for tomlin to step in and make changes.

He could bench ben, but we know that isn't happening.  Fire fichner, that isn't happening.  Continue to blame execution and effort is where I would see the coach going with all this as he has in the past. 

Intervention in the form  of injuries is always a possibility.  That could force the changes, has in the past might  again.  At this time of the season, can we expect tomlin to make such bold changes though?  The only one I see is ben calling disown plays, and taking credit and being the saviour when in fact he has been a major reason for the fail in the first place. 

The OL needs to run block before anything, without that forget about any serious help on the way for the offence . Of course, dropped passes don't help either do they? The offence is the worst in a long time, no way this team can play like this in the playoff and win a game unless everything goes wrong for the other team, everything -refs, weather, injuries what else did I forget?

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

Welcome to the Steelers of the 90's with great defenses and lackluster QB play.  This team is rebuilding in 2021 or 2022.  I would rather do it in 2021 as they could retain Watt and Fitz and other talent.

I “liked” the post, not because I actually like it, but because I think you’re right. I don’t think we can feasibly get a high level qb, at a cheap enough price, to truly be contenders for awhile. 

46 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I “liked” the post, not because I actually like it, but because I think you’re right. I don’t think we can feasibly get a high level qb, at a cheap enough price, to truly be contenders for awhile. 

a good QB could fall to us in the draft or we might get a good vet once Ben deal is off the table. I do think we're about to enter a new era tho being a yearly playoff contender will not be a guarantee after this yr without the benefit of having top rate QB play. I can see some down yrs like we had on the late 90s happening this decade.

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 3rivers said:

he's the coach, does he explain what he plans to do about it? Just saying what he wants means nothing. He better ok everything with ben and fichner first though

Coach Tomlin doesn’t owe anyone an explanation but his team. Media and fans will cry about it but, I trust him as much as anyone to find answers, he usually does.

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

Welcome to the Steelers of the 90's with great defenses and lackluster QB play.  This team is rebuilding in 2021 or 2022.  I would rather do it in 2021 as they could retain Watt and Fitz and other talent.

They can’t rebuild until Ben retires. He at the worst makes them mediocre and maybe he does retire after this year bc he did prove he could come back and play after he had elbow surgery, but I don’t see it. I don’t see Ben being cut. 

I think they’ll draft a LT in round 1, there are a few worthy of a late 1st that could be serviceable starters as rookies with room to improve. Then, move Villanueva to RT, draft a LG in round 3, sign a G in free agency. Their biggest problem is the offensive line. 

Edited by turtle28

On 12/24/2020 at 1:18 PM, turtle28 said:

They can’t rebuild until Ben retires. He at the worst makes them mediocre and maybe he does retire after this year bc he did prove he could come back and play after he had elbow surgery, but I don’t see it. I don’t see Ben being cut. 

I think they’ll draft a LT in round 1, there are a few worthy of a late 1st that could be serviceable starters as rookies with room to improve. Then, move Villanueva to RT, draft a LG in round 3, sign a G in free agency. Their biggest problem is the offensive line. 

I don’t think they’ll be moving AV to RT. I see no way that happens. He’ll retire, be re-signed by us, or go somewhere else. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don’t think they’ll be moving AV to RT. I see no way that happens. He’ll retire, be re-signed by us, or go somewhere else. 

I think he will get a cheap-ish deal from us.   He isnt going to make much.   Thinking a 2 or 3 year deal.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 2:18 PM, turtle28 said:

It is more important to retain Watt then Big Ben.  A team is more important than Ben. 

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He got abused by Carl Lawson, it was a huge problem in the game. AV is solid, but I think they can do better at LT. 

Why can’t they re-sign him and move him to RT after they draft a 1st round LT?

That seems like a very logical move to really upgrade the OL with just one draft pick.

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It is more important to retain Watt then Big Ben.  A team is more important than Ben. 

Then restructure Ben’s contract to create room. I know the team is more important than just the QB, and Watt is more important bc he’s young but at the same time they’re not going anywhere w/o at least equal to Ben’s type of play this year next year.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

He got abused by Carl Lawson, it was a huge problem in the game. AV is solid, but I think they can do better at LT. 

Why can’t they re-sign him and move him to RT after they draft a 1st round LT?

That seems like a very logical move to really upgrade the OL with just one draft pick.

Villy has been very good the whole season...why do you wanna move him and insert a late 1st round rookie LT to protect Ben’s blindside knowing he is most likely not going to be close to Villy in year 1?