2020 GDT Week #15 Steelers @ Bengals

Steeler Hitman

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Villy has been very good the whole season...why do you wanna move him and insert a late 1st round rookie LT to protect Ben’s blindside knowing he is most likely not going to be close to Villy in year 1?

tell ben to retire, sign Trent Williams

but who will the QB be?

Getting high profile UFA's might not be possible if the team isn't serious about winning. I doubt the steelers will have any cap for such signings anyways.   The OL needs new blood and new coach and a good start is with someone like Williams at LT.  Trade POuncey and put DDC on notice, that's a start fro the OL. 

Edited by 3rivers

8 hours ago, AFF said:

Villy has been very good the whole season...why do you wanna move him and insert a late 1st round rookie LT to protect Ben’s blindside knowing he is most likely not going to be close to Villy in year 1?

Because he's gonna get bank this offseason.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Because he's gonna get bank this offseason.

I think he’s the 1 guy the Steelers try to resign this offseason...unless they think Chuks can go over.

3rivers thing was moving him to RT and inserting that late 1st rounder at LT.

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Then restructure Ben’s contract to create room. I know the team is more important than just the QB, and Watt is more important bc he’s young but at the same time they’re not going anywhere w/o at least equal to Ben’s type of play this year next year.

you want Ben for 3 more years?  There is no restructure of Ben's contract.  He will be in the final year.  And why he cost so much is because of all the extensions he has taken. Even if he retires it still will cost 22M against the cap.

If they extend a player, any player who is in his twilight, this team will be in for many years of suckitude.  This is the Polamalu  all over.  They signed him to a two year extension then had to convince him to retire before he was cut after one year.  And he was way cheaper then Ben will be.

20 minutes ago, jebrick said:

you want Ben for 3 more years?  There is no restructure of Ben's contract.  He will be in the final year.  And why he cost so much is because of all the extensions he has taken. Even if he retires it still will cost 22M against the cap.

If they extend a player, any player who is in his twilight, this team will be in for many years of suckitude.  This is the Polamalu  all over.  They signed him to a two year extension then had to convince him to retire before he was cut after one year.  And he was way cheaper then Ben will be.

That’s fair

According to over the cap with a projected space at 176 million which is way down cutting Ben, pouncy, vance , Vince

restructure heyward and tuitt 

Gets them to 20mil cap space.. Enough to sign juju and maybe Bud

Then worry about tj and Fitzpatrick next year

collect the comp picks for losing Villa and feiler

Edited by Cbrunn

12 hours ago, AFF said:

Big Ben throws the ball the quickest of any QB in the league, it hides the deficiencies in the OL. You know, the deficiencies that show up in the run game, they are there in pass pro too it’s just Ben gets rid of the ball in under 2 seconds.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

According to over the cap with a projected space at 176 million which is way down cutting Ben, pouncy, vance , Vince

restructure heyward and tuitt 

Gets them to 20mil cap space.. Enough to sign juju and maybe Mariota (or draft one or both) ...

Keeping Vince gets you to 16 million, unless you think they can keep Avery for less then 4 million that the cutting of Vince saves

Then worry about tj and Fitzpatrick next year

Vance is a free agent isn’t he?

Cutting Ben, Pouncey & Vince? 

Wow, get ready for Tomlin’s first losing season in 2021.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Vance is a free agent isn’t he?

Cutting Ben, Pouncey & Vince? 

Wow, get ready for Tomlin’s first losing season in 2021.

Based in over the cap, no but to be honest I can't say I know for sure if vance will be a FA or not I was just going by them 

If they didn't have a losing season starting duck Hodges at QB I think they can put something together ... Also maybe a chance to draft a QB (Ben was like the 13th pick I think)

I don't think your losing much in vance, pouncy or Vince ... Replacement already on the team ...

The backup center played well enough to be that you didn't notice pouncy was out those games

Spillane fills in for Vince (or you bring back Avery for cheap)

Does Vance even play anymore?

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Big Ben throws the ball the quickest of any QB in the league, it hides the deficiencies in the OL. You know, the deficiencies that show up in the run game, they are there in pass pro too it’s just Ben gets rid of the ball in under 2 seconds.

Then why invest in a 1st round LT?

Villy hasn’t been a problem...it’s the cap/age aspect that is the issue.

Edited by AFF

35 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

Based in over the cap, no but to be honest I can't say I know for sure if vance will be a FA or not I was just going by them 

If they didn't have a losing season starting duck Hodges at QB I think they can put something together ... Also maybe a chance to draft a QB (Ben was like the 13th pick I think)

I don't think your losing much in vance, pouncy or Vince ... Replacement already on the team ...

The backup center played well enough to be that you didn't notice pouncy was out those games

Spillane fills in for Vince (or you bring back Avery for cheap)

Does Vance even play anymore?

That is true about them not having a losing season even w/ Rudolph & Hodges starting most of the year which wasn’t pretty.

Ben was the 11th pick but noted. They could trade up for Kyle Trask.

It is true the back up C played fine last year and it’s true Spillane has been much better than I expected he would be when they first had to start him. He’s solid all around and good in coverage.

Vance does play if they’re going to run the ball. If not, Ebron is in there. And, Vance can be replaced in the draft IMO. Just draft an old style Steelers TE in the 5th round like Angeline from NC St, 6’7, 250.

Edited by turtle28

On 12/26/2020 at 9:26 AM, AFF said:

I think he’s the 1 guy the Steelers try to resign this offseason...unless they think Chuks can go over.

3rivers thing was moving him to RT and inserting that late 1st rounder at LT.

where did I post this?  I would never start a rookie at LT  unless he is elite talent, not late RD1. 

36 minutes ago, AFF said:

Swore you said but it looks like turtle said it...apologies.

it happens, I can't recall who says what all the time.  I'm the one pulling for Trent Williams, in a season where we won't have any cap space yet will also have cap casualties :/ The OL might just need a new OL coach, but more talent could always help.  I just want fichner gone more than anything and go from there. Ben being healthy is also a must, I am thinking the short pass streak was more to protect him and his injury that we will never know much about.