The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

Sign me up for Wade Phillips. Sign me up! He’s 72 or 73 so he is up there in age, but that’s why you would allow him to bring in his guys who can take over in 3-4 years if he leaves. 

Wade has always done a great job at tweaking his scheme to fit the players on the team.

His 3-4 is just the base. All 34 scheme have a nickel and dime packages. Which rely on a single gap 

He has coached Littleton before. Ferrell could fit as a 34 End bulk up and use his run stuffing ability better. Maxx you can have him stand up. But would become a player you have in your Nicole and dime packages. Kwiat and Littleton all came from a 34 defense. 

Look at the pass rushers available in FA Barrett, Dupree, Judon, Von, Ingram all can play OLB in the 34 and rush the passer. 

Raiders have been trying to run a good 43 defense for years. Any change is welcomed

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 2

I would be really happy with Wade Phillips.  I know he fizzled out in LA but he also held the Patriots to 13 points in the Super Bowl the year before.  Everywhere he goes the defense improves instantly and gets worse when he leaves.  Imagine how good this team would be right now if we had a better than average defense and pass rush.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Sign me up for Wade Phillips. Sign me up! He’s 72 or 73 so he is up there in age, but that’s why you would allow him to bring in his guys who can take over in 3-4 years if he leaves. 

Wade has always done a great job at tweaking his scheme to fit the players on the team.

His 3-4 is just the base. All 34 scheme have a nickel and dime packages. Which rely on a single gap 

He has coached Littleton before. Ferrell could fit as a 34 End bulk up and use his run stuffing ability better. Maxx you can have him stand up. But would become a player you have in your Nicole and dime packages. Kwiat and Littleton all came from a 34 defense. 

Look at the pass rushers available in FA Barrett, Dupree, Judon, Von, Ingram all can play OLB in the 34 and rush the passer. 

Raiders have been trying to run a good 43 defense for years. Any change is welcomed

Great point about the FA pass-rushers. We could truly transform into a 3-4 without too many issues I think. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Great point about the FA pass-rushers. We could truly transform into a 3-4 without too many issues I think. 

We have pieces on defense, we can turn it around in one offseason

Keys: 

- higher a good DC- one who attacks offenses, with a good blitz scheme and runs man coverage. We invest high picks on corners who play man 

- 3 impact starters - DT, DE, FS- improve the defensive line, and find a stud FS who has range

would be be huge if we attack those areas. Of course improving the overall talent level and depth is also smart. But those keys would lead us to success. 

I think whoever we pick for the DC position is going to be an upgrade.  Guenther gives up TDs like its going out of style.  I think he just wanted to show Gruden how much better everyone else's offenses are compared to the Raiders.  So glad he's gone lol.

11 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I think whoever we pick for the DC position is going to be an upgrade.  Guenther gives up TDs like its going out of style.  I think he just wanted to show Gruden how much better everyone else's offenses are compared to the Raiders.  So glad he's gone lol.

True. I just hope we knock it out the park with this hire. I can’t remember the last time the Raiders had a defense that was a force. I get jealous watching other teams play defense then watch the Raiders on that side of the ball 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

With all due respect.... and I really mean that.... some of the ideas given here are down right scary.  With all the draft picks spent on Defensive Talent the last 3 years why would we massively change the scheme.... albeit to a scheme that doesn’t fit the players?  

Why would we want a DC who runs a zone coverage scheme.... when Mullen and Arnette are substantially better in man?  

Why would we can’t to go 3-4 when Ferrell isn’t ideally suited for 3-4 DE and Crosby isn’t a good 3-4 OLB and certainly not a good 3-4 DE.

What kind of longevity could Wade Phillips give us?  How can you build a defense around a DC’s scheme when he’s likely to only be around 1 year and at best 2?

Stay the course with the 4-3 and man coverage.

Bring in a young innovative mind who can work with what we have.  All these washed up options sicken me. 

All the draft picks... who?
Joyner and Littleton  literally got paid by the Raiders off their success under Wade. Nick Kwiatkowski is a fit. Clelin when from ~260 to ~275 and with 5-10 more pounds looks like a fit at DE in Wade's single gap 3-4 defense. Wade isn't a 2 gap 3-4, it's an attacking 3-4 1 gap scheme. Wade had guys like Jay Ratliff play nose and he was what 6'3" 290? Wade's described his 3-4 single gap as semantic difference between 4-3 and 3-4 and has said referring to it as a 5-2 is more apt (where Littleton/Nick are the LBs). I don't get the zone scheme knock, as Wade blends man and zone coverage like any other not-Tampa2 DC to confuse pre-snap reads, and a Tampa 2 hire would be just zone.

Needed edge pass rusher (Von Miller in FA would be a prize?),  Clelin (who already has done inside work) at roughly a 4 tech, a 1 tech shaded nose (Hankins?), Crosby at primarily roughly 5 or 6 tech and then a hybrid guy (I envision someone in the mold of Anthony Barr or Josh Allen) who can drop and be a LB but can also threaten the edge and help Crosby in run support. Who doesn't fit? Takk might be able to prove enough to be the primary reserve for "needed pass rusher".

What was Paul Guenther's longevity, like 4 or 5 weeks of competence over 3 years? If Wade works, and has 3 years, he will have developed a positional coach to take over and could be an advisor or whatever.

15 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

This isn’t like when the Raiders tried to go to the 34 with Grant Irons and Tyler Brayton at OLB LMFAO. My god that was terrible and extremely slow group of pass rushers. 

So long ago.  Barely even remember us doing that.  Just terrible...

19 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

We get absolutely murdered either way though. Adding a 4th body there hasn't made a lick of difference. With our personnell, we could play an 11-man D-line and still get murdered in the run 😂

True, true....... That would be an innovation, 10 man DL and Eric Harris roaming deep 😁😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Ferrell would be better as an 3-4 DE

Why do you say this? Not saying you are wrong at all but from my eye test he's looked better on the outside to me than when he drops inside on occasion. Inside he's been pretty ineffective and there was a lot of chatter about wasting him by moving him inside. He's strong and plays with leverage but he looks like he's just starting to 'get it' at traditional 4-3 end to me.......

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

This has NEVER happened through out his career. Most recently Joe Woods took over in Denver and flopped. Nobody on his Rams staff has done anything and McVey replaced his staff there. 

Wade Phillips is an all timer. But his approach grows stale after 2-3 seasons (see Rams) And none of his guys ever amount to anything in the coaching ranks. So your idea is misguided. 

Gruden is here another 7 years (unless he quits). Why not marry a younger coach with him vs. a trial run overhauling the entire defense? He'd be a short term coach and the roster lacks to much talent for a bandaid approach. It needs long term leadership to pull it out of 18 years mediocre play.

That's my thoughts on Wade. Have liked him for years, but I don't think he's the answer. 

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

We have pieces on defense, we can turn it around in one offseason

Keys: 

- higher a good DC- one who attacks offenses, with a good blitz scheme and runs man coverage. We invest high picks on corners who play man 

- 3 impact starters - DT, DE, FS- improve the defensive line, and find a stud FS who has range

would be be huge if we attack those areas. Of course improving the overall talent level and depth is also smart. But those keys would lead us to success. 

lol...  this post is to much.

Turn it around in one offseason..... just need a 3 impact starters at DT, DE and FS

Where are you getting these "impact starters" They out there begging to sign with the Raiders?

This FA class is weak at those spots as is the draft. 

Thinking the Raiders can flip 18 years of mediocre defense and talent around in one offseason is setting yourself up for major disappointment. 

46 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I’m sure his Twitter has been blasted with please come to the Raiders messages 

If the Social Media Raider fans are all over him, that's all I need to look the other way. Fans or so basic. Same ones who thought Gruden would come in and walk this team back to the early 2000's.