The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

No way they can justify him getting the job.

If Joe Berry becomes DC l seriously lose all (every bit of) faith in the organization.  I’d never go to another team... ever... but I’d seriously just lose interest in football.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

If Joe Berry becomes DC l seriously lose all (every bit of) faith in the organization.  I’d never go to another team... ever... but I’d seriously just lose interest in football.

I don't know who we'll get but when was the last time we landed a quality coach?  I seriously can't remember.

8 hours ago, Trojan said:

Pretty sure he got DC offers and he held out for a HC offer.

Jettisoned by the Cowboys in the sweep that included the firing of coach Jason Garrett, Richard interviewed for several jobs early this year – including two head coaching positions – but was offered nothing with a rank higher than defensive backs coach.

No thanks.

“It’s kind of like knowing your worth, knowing your value,” Richard told USA TODAY Sports. “What’s the difference between the two? Do they coincide? Are they interchangeable? Cutting through all of that, I wasn’t willing to take anything less than I am. I know what I am and I know what I am capable of.”

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2020/11/06/kris-richard-dallas-cowboys-seattle-seahawks-nfl-coaching-candidate/6180895002/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm a big proponent of hiring "hungry, humble and smart" in any organization. Richard's decision doesn't sound overly humble to be honest. 

It's definitely not humble but i can understand his decision. He was the playcaller for a D that ranked 6th and 11th and only lost his job because the whole coaching staff was let go. There's no reason he shouldn't get a similar job elsewhere. Taking a lower job doesn't help him one bit in his career.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm a big proponent of hiring "hungry, humble and smart" in any organization. Richard's decision doesn't sound overly humble to be honest. 

yeah,  i want to like him as a possible DC because he does seem like an alpha coach and a leader but he comes off as pretty cocky.  idk maybe its just me.  humility is what allows a coach to realize when things arent working and make changes to the scheme, instead of doubling down and saying the players need to execute and play better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

theres knowing your worth and over valuing yourself in the current workplace enviorment.

ive seen countless people in my work career say "the company couldnt run without me.  i do so much" only to be replaced with someone who ends up being way better on the team, even though they might not have all the knowledge and skills initially.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

yeah,  i want to like him as a possible DC because he does seem like an alpha coach and a leader but he comes off as pretty cocky.  idk maybe its just me.  humility is what allows a coach to realize when things arent working and make changes to the scheme, instead of doubling down and saying the players need to execute and play better.

I get it, it’s good to be humble. But not when it comes to your career, you don’t take lesser jobs if you have experience with high caliber jobs. Especially when your not desperate and that lesser job isn’t going to do anything for your career. That actually shows me good discipline. He’s prolly been saving his money and has other sources of income to take a year off to wait for the right opportunity. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

true, but we need to spend the money and not be cheap.  if you pay en0ugh money you can get a good DC.

For 10 year 100 million you can get a retread coach who hadn't coached in 9 years. When you do that, can you pay enough for a quality DC? If Joe Barry is hired as DC, we will know the answer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

You can be cocky but still flexible.  Confidence in yourself does not necessarily mean you have to have the attitude of "if I can do it this way then so should you".  I am not saying he is that way but it is not impossible.  I am very confident in myself and part of that is knowing I can adapt to accomplish my desired goal.  Is he confident in himself or just in his scheme?

So knowing your worth makes you less humble. I disagree with that assumption. So it would had been humble for him to take a lesser job after working his butt off and having success and working hard to prove yourself. He was replaced with Mike Nolan and is trying to replace Guenther. Two guys who cause of nepotism got their jobs and he is better than.  But he should humble himself and take a lesser job for a year cause of what exactly? Having confidence in your abilities has nothing to do with not being humble. Robert Saleh surely ain't gonna become a linebacker coach,  before he becomes a head coach or defensive coordinator for another team. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

So knowing your worth makes you less humble. I disagree with that assumption. So it would had been humble for him to take a lesser job after working his butt off and having success and working hard to prove yourself. He was replaced with Mike Nolan and is trying to replace Guenther. Two guys who cause of nepotism got their jobs and he is better than.  But he should humble himself and take a lesser job for a year cause of what exactly? Having confidence in your abilities has nothing to do with not being humble. Robert Saleh surely ain't gonna become a linebacker coach,  before he becomes a head coach or defensive coordinator for another team. 

Knowing your worth? If no team hired you as DC, but you had several offers to coach DBs....what is your worth? Sounds like the NFL told him his "worth" is DB coach. 

I compare it to Rahim Moore who's been a HC, coached DBs and even went to offense and coached WRs. That's humble.... doesn't care where he coaches, wants to learn it all and let his experience speak for itself.

RIchard... I have nothing against his actions. To each their own. But to me... you coach DBs, improve a unit and pad your resume to the next job. 

Will be interesting to see if he lands a DC job this cycle. If not... will he know his worth then?

50 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Knowing your worth? If no team hired you as DC, but you had several offers to coach DBs....what is your worth? Sounds like the NFL told him his "worth" is DB coach. 

I compare it to Rahim Moore who's been a HC, coached DBs and even went to offense and coached WRs. That's humble.... doesn't care where he coaches, wants to learn it all and let his experience speak for itself.

RIchard... I have nothing against his actions. To each their own. But to me... you coach DBs, improve a unit and pad your resume to the next job. 

Will be interesting to see if he lands a DC job this cycle. If not... will he know his worth then?

He already did exactly what you said. He shouldn't do it again. He took a step down when he went to Dallas. Then improved the unit and than they gave him d play calling duties and again improved the whole defense. Now you saying he should had just done that whole cycle again. Naw. Also Rahim morris didn't do it either. He didn't take a step back until he reached the top and got fired. 

Let me add this to. Letting the business tell you, your worth or value isn't a great idea. You will always undervalued and underpaid. 

• Like 1